Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Why was I banned?

Why was I banned?
NoIdeaWhatIsGoingOn
Baninated
Aug 6, 2013, 03:53 PM

Sooooo apparently I was banned without any warning, and no explanation whatsoever. That is helpful. Not that I care that much, this place is pretty much dead now anyway. You nazis hate personality so much you ban people without even telling them what they did wrong. But keep it up. It will only get worse, and eventually this place will close its doors.. and it will be because of YOU, and YOUR ACTIONS, not me, or my opinions. My opinions actually get people talking and posting. Banning me only hurts your forum.

- Rob

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2013, 04:10 PM

I find it absolutely ridiculous that Rob is allowed to stay for extended periods of time (months!), and then one day, out of the blue, some random mod decides that Rob should be banned again, for ban evasion.

I mean, WTF ?
It took you months to realize that Rob re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-registered and was posting ?

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2013, 04:14 PM

I got curious when I saw that he'd been banned, and near as I could tell, he'd waxed poetic over SUVs and other people's pistons again.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 6, 2013, 05:06 PM

Ban reason:
Ca$h68 alias - sufferance used up, acct email no good, the usual
Growing member complaints, especially regarding vehicle discussions. You have a track record of being inoffensive upon returning, then gradually raising the stakes. After awhile, it draws staff attention, requiring edits & infractions, or a fresh ban.

Your knifecarrier2 email address also showed a bounce.
Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd Sorry your message to [email protected] cannot be delivered. This account has been disabled or discontinued
It wasn't us, someone else may have complained to your email host. But this means you won't even be notified of any infractions until next login, and suggests forum troubles elsewhere too.

It was enough. I was expecting machetecarrier3 to turn up in a few months.

NoIdeaWhatIsGoingOn  (op)
Baninated
Aug 6, 2013, 05:35 PM

K. But what did I do wrong?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2013, 05:42 PM

Which of these things are unclear?

They seem really straightforward to me.

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Ban reason:
Growing member complaints, especially regarding vehicle discussions. You have a track record of being inoffensive upon returning, then gradually raising the stakes. After awhile, it draws staff attention, requiring edits & infractions, or a fresh ban.

Your knifecarrier2 email address also showed a bounce.
It wasn't us, someone else may have complained to your email host. But this means you won't even be notified of any infractions until next login, and suggests forum troubles elsewhere too.
Or are you looking to make this into the usual find-specific-example-posts attention fests that you post every time you get banned and fail to understand why? There's gotta be three or four dozen of those on this forum.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 7, 2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by NoIdeaWhatIsGoingOn View Post
You nazis hate personality so much you ban people without even telling them what they did wrong.
This is the same bullshit you've been saying for the past 12 years. Either this place sucks and it's not worth visiting or it doesn't suck and stop bitching.

NoIdeaWhatIsGoingOn  (op)
Baninated
Aug 7, 2013, 01:13 PM

Spherical: yes. I seriously have no idea what rule I broke. I am guessing none.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 7, 2013, 02:33 PM

Weird, you didn't address my post. Hm.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 7, 2013, 02:44 PM

Interesting thing about ban evading. They can ban you just for that at any time. However out of the kindness of their hearts they gave you latitude as long as you weren't trouble. You got banned because you crossed that grey area and become more trouble than you were worth. So officially you got banned for ban evasion. Unofficially "sufferance used up".

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2013, 03:58 PM

I like to flirt with getting infractions, and I screw around far more than your average bear, but I don't understand why it is so difficult to avoid being permanently banned. It would be one thing if the mods were a bunch of trigger happy teenagers, but it seems like most of us see it their way on this Rob issue, so thinking of them this way is just a rationalization.

I think this is a matter of emotional control and self-restraint. Rob seems to have gotten better on both fronts, but this is clearly a work-in-progress. Rob, you can dominate most car threads with your knowledge, why not just let your knowledge do the talking rather than getting your digs in at SUV owners and such? The world is full of irrationality of all kinds, you can't let what you deem irrational bother you to this extent. Irrationality bugs the smoke out of me, but the difference between us it seems is that I usually don't confront people as aggressively as you do. Sometimes you just have to let go of stuff.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Rob, you can dominate most car threads with your knowledge
That will be the day. He knows how to Google, but as far as actually having any real depth of knowledge? No way.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2013, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
That will be the day. He knows how to Google, but as far as actually having any real depth of knowledge? No way.

Relative to an average person's car knowledge, I'd say he far exceeds that. Both of your levels of knowledge are far above average, you're just saying this because you want to assert yourself as top dog, this is your way of marking territory.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2013, 05:00 PM

Relative to an average person's car knowledge, I'd say he far exceeds that. Both of your levels of knowledge are far above average, you're just saying this because you want to assert yourself as top dog, this is your way of marking territory.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2013, 06:42 PM

Ha, so true. You nailed it.

And just because Rob might be wrong sometimes doesn't mean he is clueless.
Plus, there's always opinion, not everything is always either right or wrong.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Ha, so true. You nailed it.

And just because Rob might be wrong sometimes doesn't mean he is clueless.
Plus, there's always opinion, not everything is always either right or wrong.

-t
Does that include economic theories that differ from yours?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2013, 08:44 PM

Besson, thank you.

Thank you so much. (seriously)

andi*pandi
Aug 7, 2013, 09:46 PM

Thread saved... by besson?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2013, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

I'm bucking for a promotion. Do you think you could add more funny elevators so that eventually everything I write is completely bologna?
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Aug 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM. )

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
He must have been close to being banned, and had to make some brownie points. He almost never saves a thread...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2013, 12:03 PM

LOL

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2013, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
LOL

-t

Your face is close to being banned.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2013, 03:21 PM

Consider the territory marked.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2013, 03:26 PM

Consider the territory marked.
Once Rob is out of here you'll be the head honcho car guy! Maybe that was your sinister plan all along, a little Lamin-scaping?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2013, 03:56 PM

Rob needs a loose topic ban.

If he talks about cars like an asshole, he takes a short vacation.

AFAICT, this solves all the issues. Rob gets to stay, threads don't get wrecked, and if they start to, he stands in the corner rather than being booted off the island.

Which he'll just swim back to, anyway.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Rob needs a loose topic ban.

If he talks about cars like an asshole, he takes a short vacation.

AFAICT, this solves all the issues. Rob gets to stay, threads don't get wrecked, and if they start to, he stands in the corner rather than being booted off the island.

Which he'll just swim back to, anyway.

Unless there are sharks around the island.

I don't know what the analogous thing to sharks would be as far as MacNN goes, but I just felt that this needed to be added.

Maybe Turtle777 singing Embraceable You would be those analogous sharks?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2013, 04:50 PM

Once Rob is out of here you'll be the head honcho car guy!
There are quite a few here that know more than I. I just know how to Google shit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 8, 2013, 04:53 PM

There are quite a few here that know more than I. I just know how to Google shit.
You google shit?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2013, 07:12 AM

To be clear, I don't report people and couldn't care less how short man syndrome (next alias perhaps?) manifests online, but I can tell you that it was apparent to me he was headed for bannination.

SUV owners are rarely intelligent, I'd disregard anything they have to say as they're clearly morons in the first place. They are either gullible and believe they're actually safer in their top heavy deathtraps with shitty brakes and soft suspension, or they are just lemmings that buy what everyone else has.
... since you're defending SUVs and therefore obviously mentally inferior to myself.
How I chose to deal with the "problem";
Originally Posted by ebuddy
judging by your posting style here; you might be mentally inferior to virtually everyone in this thread including any contributors still mired in the throes of puberty.
As if talking about safety while displaying pics of his house car with dressers and sleeping bags stuffed tightly against the rear window wasn't absurd enough, it was his articulate delivery style that really demonstrated this mental superiority. I believe in self-modding the forums -- posters like this usually filter themselves away.

I say let him stay, but he has to show humility. Submissions should be accepted for his next alias, the names should reflect depravity so that he would wear it as a sandwich board of shame, the forum would vote on the alias he shall use henceforth, and he should stay.
( Last edited by ebuddy; Aug 9, 2013 at 07:23 AM. )
ebuddy

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I say let him stay, but he has to show humility. Submissions should be accepted for his next alias, the names should reflect depravity so that he would wear it as a sandwich board of shame, the forum would vote on the alias he shall use henceforth, and he should stay.
Those SUV thread quotes made me loal pretty hard. Who takes vehicle types so personally and seriously?

I like your idea, though. How about ICan'tEverAdmitI'mWrong68?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2013, 04:34 AM

I've actually went to bat for him with the mods, and sent him PMs asking him to calm down, as weird as that sounds, since I take a decent-sized brunt of his ire. The place is more colorful with him here, his anti-SUV insanity notwithstanding (he thinks they haven't changed since the 80s and 90s) and I like the idea of topic bans when he loses it, just to keep things from going off the rails.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

reader50
Administrator
Aug 10, 2013, 02:37 PM

We're looking into thread-level bans, but they require some hacking on vB.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2013, 11:15 PM

Rob does have a point. There is more activity in this one thread about him than in half of the sub forums.

I'm curious whether anyone else that was perma-banned asked to be let back in. I'm in favor of letting everyone back in just to see what happens. We really do need more activity.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2013, 03:48 PM

We're looking into thread-level bans, but they require some hacking on vB.
I've seen many places where threadbans are handled by moderators rather than code.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2013, 04:15 PM

I see nothing has changed here. Wow.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2013, 09:46 PM

LOL, you didn't expect they would ?!?!

-t

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2013, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I've seen many places where threadbans are handled by moderators rather than code.
I think what he means is that whatever version of vB they are using doesn't have the capability of doing thread-level bans. A moderator would, presumably, still have to be the one to set those bans.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2013, 07:53 PM

Exactly. This is the solution for lacking the software.

If you get threadbanned, there's no software enforcing the ban. You're expected to follow moderator orders, just like any other moderator order (such as "cool out on the vitriol"). Someone who evades the ban gets handed a vacation, just like they would if they had chosen not to follow some other moderator directive.

This actually causes little new work for the mods because the ankle-biter types will immediately report someone violating a threadban.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 12, 2013, 08:32 PM

Actually, there is a vB mod that allows software threadbans. But it requires template hacks to install, and I'm tied up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2013, 10:03 PM

Actually, there is a vB mod that allows software threadbans. But it requires template hacks to install, and I'm tied up.
I'm serious. Just will the policy into existence.

If a moderator tells you to leave a thread, you leave. People who don't get temp banned.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 12, 2013, 10:50 PM

You don't get it. I would start by willing some gold bars into existence, followed by a landspeeder. Then ... maybe some blasters. Everyone needs blasters.

It's doubtful I'd get to a threadban policy on the first day.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2013, 10:52 PM

I'd like to officially apply for an administrator position.

Vice President in charge of X-Wings?

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2013, 07:50 PM

Go Enterprise or go home.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Rumor
Aug 14, 2013, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You google shit?

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2013, 08:15 PM

I'd start willing blasters to show up on my kitchen counter. Then the gold bars would be easier, though the speeder would help with that too...

subego, unfortunately when we implement a "leave this thread or else" policy the way you describe it, we wind up with near-endless discussions (usually here) about "why was I banned??!!?" and have to go through all the rigamarole of explaining (to a user group that is supposedly adult enough to be able to follow rules to some extent) that this is a rule and use of the forums constitutes acceptance of those rules. Yada yada, lather, rinse, repeat. It gets old, it takes having a mod handy to whack the offender, and soaks up bandwidth that isn't helping someone boot their iMac or configure that stupid ring tone on their "still good!" iPhone 3Gs.

So reader, let's both wish in sync and see if we can get at least one of those...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
subego, unfortunately when we implement a "leave this thread or else" policy the way you describe it, we wind up with near-endless discussions (usually here) about "why was I banned??!!?" and have to go through all the rigamarole of explaining (to a user group that is supposedly adult enough to be able to follow rules to some extent) that this is a rule and use of the forums constitutes acceptance of those rules.
Isn't...isn't that what happens now? Right now?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2013, 12:15 PM

I'm flabbergasted that rob hasn't returned and the latest nick isn't banned.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2013, 01:16 PM

Me too. Personally, I like the nick he used here, it's the most accurate that he's ever concocted.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2013, 01:44 PM

My suggestion to Rob to send pictures of a certain organ of his to Turtle777 appears to have been deleted....

reader50
Administrator
Aug 15, 2013, 02:34 PM

... and Reported, and infracted. Wonder how that happened when it wasn't inappropriate or OT. Though to my knowledge, Rob is not into musical instruments.

Forum Links
Forum Rules