Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cinema Display 30" on a Mac mini 2011?

Cinema Display 30" on a Mac mini 2011?
is not
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2013, 01:57 PM

I have this Apple Cinema Display 23 " on the mini. It works with the HDMI-DVI adaptor. But the opportunity to hook up a Cinema 30" has arisen . Recently I saw that Thunderbolt port is compatible with Mini DisplayPort, so it seems that the Mini DisplayPort to dual-DVI adaptor could work. Is that the case? I intent to connect the Cinema 30" on the Thunderbolt port. As I stated the Cinema 23" is on the HDMI port.

Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

Also, is the ATI Radeon HD 6630M (256MB) enough to move the Cinema 30 at native resolution (2560*1600) or would it crawl and scream at it?

Thank you very much.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 28, 2013, 06:00 PM

To clarify, which Mini do you have? The specs look like your suggestion will work, whether with or without the 23" display still connected. As for speed? I'm kind of thinking it won't be really, really fast.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

is not  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2013, 03:06 AM

It is a Mid 2011 Mac mini i7 2.7GHz 16GB 256SSD + 500HD

is not  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2013, 04:41 AM

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2013, 09:23 AM

It should work with that Mini, but again, with the size of the 30" display, it may not be very peppy (I could be wrong about that). I'm not sure if the video card will support both displays at the same time with anything like full resolution and a useful refresh speed, but I haven't done a lot of research on this part of the issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

is not  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2013, 10:29 AM

I forgot to say that I don't want both displays at the same time, just the Cinema 30"

is not  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2013, 11:44 AM

I think it should work because the ATI 9600 Mac & PC Edition, a card compatible with G4 and G5 systems, came with 256MB and it was dual-link enabled, so the card would support the Cinema 30" so I can't see why my Mac mini would not be able to.

OreoCookie
Dec 30, 2013, 02:22 PM

My best friend drove a 30" display with the puny integrated graphics chipset of a white MacBook. You'll be fine (as long as you don't play games).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

is not  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2013, 03:08 PM

Hi Oreo, I don't play games.

Thanks.

OreoCookie
Dec 31, 2013, 01:01 PM

Another thing to mention: the current crop of integrated graphics is not what it used to be. For instance, Intel's latest integrated graphics that you find in its Haswell processors is a tad slower as the discrete graphics chip used in the first-gen 15" Retina Macbook Pro. (I realize you're interested in a Mac mini, but I'd just like to let you know where technology is going.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

is not  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2013, 02:17 PM

Thank you. I am aware of this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules