Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2nd hard drive not mounting

2nd hard drive not mounting
bighill
Forum Regular
May 10, 2006, 06:57 PM

Hi Folks,

Quicksilver dual 800
gig of ram
2 internal hard drives (second drive partitioned with my itunes and iphoto folders only)

My mac has been acting a little weird the last couple of days, beachball of death 2, 3 times a day with restarting the only way to get it to stop. I had to restart about an hour ago and the second drive didn't mount. I 've tried restarting again a couple of times and it isn't mounting. Is there a way to try to mount it or is this thing dead?

I'm fully backed up (phew) by the way, I just did my monthly BU this past weekend.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Bill

reader50
Administrator
May 10, 2006, 11:13 PM

Try repairing it with Disk Utility. It's in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. Also, check the SMART status for the drive as reported by DU.

If DU isn't able to fix the problem, and the SMART status is ok, then invest in DiskWarrior. If the SMART status isn't ok, then it's time to get a new hard drive, regardless of if DU can fix it.

bighill  (op)
Forum Regular
May 11, 2006, 11:39 AM

disk warrior wasn't seeing the drive at all so I first rebuilt the main HD and then disk warrior saw the second drive...it found errors on the main drive and none on the second drive. I'm up and running and will backup again before I do anything else. Smart status is "verified" on both drives by the way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules