Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual 800 sleep question

Dual 800 sleep question
bighill
Forum Regular
May 9, 2002, 05:10 PM

Dual 800, OS X.1.4, newbie to all things mac.

Hi guys,
When my machine is woken from sleep, sometimes the menu bar at the top of the screen is duplicated several times filling the screen with the clock frozen at whatever time it was put to sleep, or went to sleep on its own. The only way to get out of it since I can't access the apple button to restart, is to do a reset. I've called apple tech twice. The first person thought it might be a screwed user profile and suggested I make a second and try putting it to sleep under that one. Same thing happend when waking it. The second (today) sent me an email to an nvidia driver update link. The update is for a g-force 4 card, mine is a g-force 2, so i didn't download it thinking it could be the wrong driver for my card.

Can anybody give me a clue here what might be the problem??
Should I try this driver for the g-force 4??
I forgot to add, this does not happen every single time it goes or is put to sleep, only once a week or so.
Thanks for your time.
my macs: quicksilver dual 800 g4, 1.24 gig ram, 500 gig hd, 20 + 17 inch displays
(first mac i've ever owned, bought brand new)
2.16 core 2 duo macbook pro, 2.0 gig ram, 120 gig hd

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2002, 11:28 PM

Sounds odd. My dual-800 doesn't do that in 10.1.4 when waking from sleep. I have a GeForce 3, o' course. I say, try the driver update (I'm not sure which it is). NVidia drivers are nVidia drivers, so don't worry about that person mentioning the GeForce (be it Ti, MX, whatever). Just try the drivers. If it doesn't work ... I'm not sure. Someone will come along with a better knowledge of OS X. Try the OS X forums, too.

Good luck!

Joe Cool
Forum Regular
May 10, 2002, 07:31 AM

I have had the same problem on my dual 800. I have a GeFrorce2 MX TwinView. I havent found a fix other than restart...

jeffs7364
May 10, 2002, 10:51 AM

Same problem here....only my fix is to put it back to sleep and wake it again. Usually works, but sometimes I have to sleep/wake it twice. Really annoying--did anyone try the new nvidia drivers? I'm going to try them tonight if I can find 'em. Gforce2MX here as well.

buchrob
Forum Regular
May 12, 2002, 10:02 PM

Set your sleep preferences for the screen to sleep when you put your cursor in the top left corner, and to waken when it's in the bottom right.

You can generally flush the faulty video data from the card by using your mouse to togge sleep off and on a few times.

Also works to clear a Quark black screen problem in 9.2.

bighill  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2002, 08:44 AM

I installed the suggested drivers yesterday and it seemed to make it worse. When I woke my computer I could hear the fan kick in, but the screen stayed black and I could not put it back to sleep from the power button. The only option seemed to be to reset. Looks like I'll be calling apple again.......

Thanks for the feedback.
my macs: quicksilver dual 800 g4, 1.24 gig ram, 500 gig hd, 20 + 17 inch displays
(first mac i've ever owned, bought brand new)
2.16 core 2 duo macbook pro, 2.0 gig ram, 120 gig hd

Forum Links
Forum Rules