Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Anyone willing to continue .dlta?

Anyone willing to continue .dlta?
Lefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2003, 02:41 PM

Will there be other themers out there that will continue to support creating .dlta formats for ThemeChanger users? Or, will everyone be jumping on the ShapeShifter bandwagon?

TIA

Lefo

wagmedia
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Lefo:
Will there be other themers out there that will continue to support creating .dlta formats for ThemeChanger users? Or, will everyone be jumping on the ShapeShifter bandwagon?

TIA

Lefo

I'm going SS from here on out.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 20, 2003, 05:11 PM

I can say that I will use guiKit for most of my themes. But I will keep Aqua Extreme and Smoothstripes dlta for now, because it's nice to be able to install them as replacements for Aqua using TC.

Lefo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2003, 05:17 PM

By the way, this thread wasn't meant to be a judgment made on themers one way or the other. I'm just curious as to what direction the theming community is going to take.

Thanks again.

Lefo

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2003, 09:32 PM

I don't think there is any reason for me to try to figure out the new format for my theme as people say it works fine in ShapeShifter as it is. I guess making it a smaller download size would be nice, but I don't even understand how it does that anyway. What makes .dlta's so big anyway? And what makes guikits so small? And if a .dlta is working fine in SS is there any reason to convert it over? I'd like to see some answers to these questions before I decide on a firm answer to the question.
( Last edited by mrtew; Nov 20, 2003 at 09:39 PM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2003, 09:59 PM

i think that there should be just .dtla, or some new format that is open. if every themer decides to make all of their themes in guiKit, its a monopoly for unsanity cause they're the only ones that can use the format. and thats not cool.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 10:02 PM

I know if I make my new mockups into themes I'll be wanting to use GUIkit. (they are cool mockups too) I'm going to support Shape Shifter all the way, or whatever Max, BBX, and swiz like best (if not ShapeShifter).
click one

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 10:33 PM

the format that Project Monolith will be using is open source, so if theme developers support that format then there ya go.

i think its pretty funny you are going with the theme format other people go with rather than the one you think has the better merits (be it guikit or otherwise).

Also for the naming for guikit, could we choose a more original name next time ::cough

jk

mac15
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 10:33 PM

when will you be updating your theme? I liked it and yes please use guikits all the way

quandarry
Nov 20, 2003, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
I'm going to support Shape Shifter all the way, or whatever Max, BBX, and swiz like best (if not ShapeShifter).
you better hope they don't decide to cut their gonads off!

ps: swiz is retired, bbx has yet to do anything and i'm an asshole...haha!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
i'm an asshole...haha!
That's the best part of your post.

All I'm saying is that I'll go with what the leading themers go with because they know what they are talking about and DO make the best themes.

I might also ask why the heck would you care if it's open-source or not? You're just going to be using ThemePark for making themes anyway since it's the best theme making tool around... and Project Monolith isn't going to be free ether, so we'll just be in the same situation ether way. I don't see what the big fuss is about, and all you Max Aqua mod theme fans don't have to switch to ShapeShifter because he's still going to use .dlta for them.

swiz is not retiring until he's done updating a few of his themes.

As for DarkGlass, I may test GUIkit on it, or I might scrap it and come out with a new theme before too long, it all depends on my amount of free time.
click one

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 21, 2003, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
I don't think there is any reason for me to try to figure out the new format for my theme as people say it works fine in ShapeShifter as it is. I guess making it a smaller download size would be nice, but I don't even understand how it does that anyway. What makes .dlta's so big anyway? And what makes guikits so small? And if a .dlta is working fine in SS is there any reason to convert it over? I'd like to see some answers to these questions before I decide on a firm answer to the question.
Wouldn't it be nice if you changed the text colors in your theme to be white? I think that would enhance the usability of it.

GuiKits are small because they use compression. Dlta does not use any compression at all.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Wouldn't it be nice if you changed the text colors in your theme to be white? I think that would enhance the usability of it.
Indeed, I've been playing around with a dark theme with white text, it's looking really cool let me tell you that!
click one

mac15
Senior User
Nov 21, 2003, 01:20 PM

I can't wait for that theme to be updated, because I know the text problem was annoying before but now the possiblities are endless

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2003, 02:21 PM

Dark Glass is being ported to Panther and then will be done with the guiKit format and thus making it less than 300KB. This is not only a great thing but also why else wouldn't you make it this format? you save like 3 megs of room. How they do this is amazing. guiKIT for all!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
Dark Glass is being ported to Panther and then will be done with the guiKit format and thus making it less than 300KB. This is not only a great thing but also why else wouldn't you make it this format? you save like 3 megs of room. How they do this is amazing. guiKIT for all!
Ya maybe DarkGlass will be more likable now that the text color isn't a problem?
click one

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2003, 03:14 AM

Well you and I both know that DarkGlass was pretty much the main theme downloaded off of resex for some time. Until they took down the web stats again. I'm thinking if it is even more popular it's gonna explode!

Forum Links
Forum Rules