Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tablet advice: Which iPad to choose?

Tablet advice: Which iPad to choose? (Page 2)
starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2016, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
starman, how much? my kid's ipad died, need a new one.
Not me, Spheric.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

andi*pandi
Nov 28, 2016, 08:48 PM

Spheric was just saying that maybe since you don't use yours, it's for sale?

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2016, 09:00 PM

Oh. I have an iPad 2 and 3. Neither can upgrade to iOS 10. I really don't want to part with the 3 and have no desire to upgrade. The 2 is just old and slow but if you want to make an offer on it, feel free.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2016, 09:09 PM

iPad 2 is best iPad.

Light, and a truly epic battery life.

I still have a bunch for work. Run my mixer with them. Run my lighting board with them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2016, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
iPad 2 is best iPad.

Light, and a truly epic battery life.

I still have a bunch for work. Run my mixer with them. Run my lighting board with them.
That would be the AIR 2, no?

The iPad 2 is heavy and SLOOOOW (my daughter has my old one).

P
Nov 29, 2016, 03:39 AM

iPad 2 was OK for speed, but iOS 7 really slowed it down. Later versions of Safari also messed it up, kept crashing on some webpages. If yours is unbearably slow, try doing a full restore from iTunes.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2016, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post

Nope, a 2. I don't use the iPad as much anymore so I never upgraded past the iPad 3. I used the 2 for development.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2016, 05:10 AM

I was replying to subego.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2016, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post

Usually determinations of a "best computing device" are made in the context of what was available at the time.

Apple had to release three more models before it got lighter, it was faster than its successor, and the battery life has yet to be surpassed.

iPad 2 is best iPad.

P
Nov 29, 2016, 11:17 AM

Apple had to release three more models before it got lighter, it was faster than its successor, and the battery life has yet to be surpassed.
Yes if you exclude the mini, yes but only on graphics, and no.

The A5X is the same speed CPU as the A5 but it has a wider memory bus, so in most CPU tests they are the same speed. In the admittedly weird case of a CPU task that is memory bandwidth limited, the "new iPad" (AKA iPad 3) is faster. It also has more RAM, which helps on some tasks. On graphics the iPad 2 is faster, though, because it only has to push a quarter as many pixels around and has the half the graphics horsepower.

The perennial victor in the battery life tests is the iPad 4, though - AKA the thick Retina pad with the A6X and lightning port. It easily passes 14 hours on the same tests where the iPad 2 dies after 12.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2016, 11:25 AM

I think it's fair to exclude the Mini in a discussion of 10" tablets.

In general use, the iPad 3 was an utter dog. It's the only iPad I've sold as opposed to giving it to friends, because I don't hate my friends.

Standby is where the iPad 2 battery really shines. Two weeks is common. I've never gotten a week out of a later model.

P
Nov 29, 2016, 11:40 AM

Officially all iPads have a 30 day standby time. Whether they keep to that is mostly about whether they do any background processing or not.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2016, 12:03 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 29, 2016, 12:49 PM

Usually determinations of a "best computing device" are made in the context of what was available at the time.

iPad 2 is best iPad.
My wife and I each have a 2. I was dumb and upgraded to 8, she kept hers at 7. I've continued upgrading and it's continued to be a huge pile of hot garbage that's slower than some analogy of something that's really slow. I bought a MacBook Air and my iPad only gets used for watching Dora on long car trips.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2016, 12:51 PM

Thankfully, all mine are on flavors of 7.

P
Nov 29, 2016, 01:09 PM

You can still disable background processing in the settings, if standby time is important to you.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2016, 02:26 PM

It's not a deal-breaker with my usage pattern, it's just notably not epic like with the 2.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2016, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Great comeback. How does the 'iPad fad' commentary address the OP?
Weird, you talk a lot of shit, but seem to be silent here. Guess you did **** up.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2016, 07:08 PM

I think it's fair to exclude the Mini in a discussion of 10" tablets.
On topic? My ****ing hero.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2016, 08:01 PM

Weird, you talk a lot of shit, but seem to be silent here. Guess you did **** up.
No, just ignoring your BS. You're not the forum moderator.

andi*pandi
Dec 1, 2016, 11:46 AM

Thankfully, all mine are on flavors of 7.
ha, I have one still on 5!

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2016, 11:57 AM

Unfortunately, my two key apps require 7 or higher.

One has actually moved on to requiring 8, but since I do live shows with them, they were immediately "frozen". I can't have a buggy update drop on me.

Using the iPads have numerous advantages I don't want to give up, but they add at least four new failure points to any "mission critical" situation. iPad hardware could choke. iOS could choke. App could choke. Wifi could choke.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2016, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
No, just ignoring your BS. You're not the forum moderator.
Sure, kid. You never shut-up but suddenly go quiet when you **** up? What a coincidence.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2016, 03:00 AM

So they didn't add stock for Black Friday. Silly me. They put the up today, but I didn't realize it. When I got on there was one available for selection, but the cart wouldn't check out. Fun.
I got one!

Let the nightmare of teaching my mother a new OS begin!

OreoCookie
Dec 5, 2016, 03:06 AM

Starman, The Final Dakar, please keep it civil and stay on topic.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Dec 5, 2016, 03:13 AM

I got one!

Let the nightmare of teaching my mother a new OS begin!
My mother didn't even notice the new UI design when I upgraded her iPad to iOS 7 The same way my dad didn't even notice the SSD upgrade of his Mac mini. (I'm serious about both, my brother and I were flabbergasted.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

P
Dec 5, 2016, 04:56 AM

Everyone in my family noticed the iOS 7 upgrade (and didn't like it), and my dad even noticed the speed improvement from the hybrid drive I stuck in his Windows laptop a few years back.

I have noticed that Macs see much less of an improvement from SSDs, though. The RAM cache works better, which hides some of the latency from a slow HDD if you have some RAM to spare.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2016, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
My mother didn't even notice the new UI design when I upgraded her iPad to iOS 7 The same way my dad didn't even notice the SSD upgrade of his Mac mini. (I'm serious about both, my brother and I were flabbergasted.)
She's been using android for four years.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2016, 01:04 PM

iOS7 is glitchy, not a fan of the past couple of updates (nor of Apple lately).... on iPhone iOS7 makes the fingerprint/Voice control a frickin nightmare at times. Hate that aspect. Hate Voice control because you can't turn it off permanently without jailbreaking it. On an iPad Air2 the auto rotate gets funky at the wrong time, again since last two updates.

Haven't used Android in a while - at the time it took me a while to get use to it, I just don't trust Google enough to want it however tempting some of the phones/tablets are. My Mom uses one and every now and then I have to clean house - it's a security nightmare in every regard.

I may change my tune if Apple continues the path they are on, some of the droids are feature rich beyond Tim Cook's imagination. For shame.

First world problems.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

P
Dec 5, 2016, 03:23 PM

IMO, iOS 7 was the nadir, and every version since has been better. I still think that they lost something fundamental in the transition from iOS 6 to 7, and they have managed to make it up by releasing ever more powerful hardware. Remember that the iPad 2 with an A5 was more than fine, and after iOS 7 you need at least an A7 - 4 times the CPU performance - to be OK.

Both of the iPad Airs and the 9.7" Pro are great machines, and they are still the models I recommend to anyone that looks for a tablet, but it just seems wasteful that the OS got that much slower. The features they added weren't that great.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2016, 09:36 PM

Biggest challenge so far: Getting used to home button. Both for switch apps, but worse, trying to access the damn thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules