Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > best cellphone to tether my Powerbook G4

best cellphone to tether my Powerbook G4
genesisdan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 12:11 PM

Hey all,

Need some help and havent come up with a good solution for this; I am looking for a good phone to tether my PowerBook G4 so while travelling within the metro NY area, i can get decent Internet speed on it.

I have a Blackberry 7520, but unfortunately there exists no reliable way to hook it up (either via Bluetooth or USB) so that my Mac can recognize it as an external modem. I do have an unlimited data plan, so thats not the issue. I've heard/read not good things about the Treo, so not sure thats a reliable path to wander down.

Is my best bet a 2nd phone? A wireless aircard? (not sure which ones fit the Pbook G4 and come with Mac software). I do a lot of travelling and yes, I can get emails on my Blackberry (I love that), bu there are times that more substantial Internet access is required to download files, transfer data, remote control another computer, etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Litflynt912
May 22, 2006, 02:47 PM

Macbook 1.83CD 512/60GB/And yes....BootCamp w/XP
2nd Gen Shuffle
1st Gen Nano 1GB Black & White
5th Gen 30GB iPod
Nintendo Wii
Xbox 360
PS3 20GB

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 22, 2006, 03:01 PM

Questions about peripherals go in the Peripherals forum.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules