Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > So, what's the real story - Mark/Glenda Adams

So, what's the real story - Mark/Glenda Adams
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Feb 19, 2004, 08:30 PM

Was there ever a sex change? Why did Glenda want this change? What does Suellen think about all this? Has her (Glenda) programming skills increased after this change? (joke) But really, I need some clarifications because I never really dared asking these questions until now...and it's been what now, 2 years almost?

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2004, 09:35 PM

Any particular reason you need to know? It's a pretty personal process, and not one I'd like to think invokes a lot of debate.

In any case, if you REALLY want, I can quote my human sexuality textbook.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Was there ever a sex change? Why did Glenda want this change? What does Suellen think about all this? Has her (Glenda) programming skills increased after this change? (joke) But really, I need some clarifications because I never really dared asking these questions until now...and it's been what now, 2 years almost?
Oh, here's an article (googled for "Mark Adams Glenda Adams"):

http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=98

blizzard -- you're right that it's personal, but Glenda has been very open about it, even including a section on her web site discussing it:

http://homepage.mac.com/glendaadams/gender.html
( Last edited by Arkham_c; Feb 19, 2004 at 09:52 PM. )
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2004, 06:04 AM

I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2004, 06:35 AM

sex change operations are nothing more than an extreme form of cosmetic surgery. glenda adams is still a man.

-r.

Steb Mad
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 12:02 PM

If I have a similar problem, I *would* do the same thing.

I'm glad that she found her true self. Hiding in the closet all of the life is is a waste of life.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
sex change operations are nothing more than an extreme form of cosmetic surgery. glenda adams is still a man.

-r.
Her site seems to imply she was/is a woman chromosome-wise.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

lenox
Senior User
Feb 20, 2004, 01:34 PM

Am I in the gaming forum? Wtf?

gotterdamm
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 02:35 PM

I for one, have always been proud of the way the Mac gaming community has accepted Glenda's change. Just about everyone on IMG and Gameranger knows about it, but no one ever gives her a hard time.

Could you imagine the way the PC gaming community would act if John Carmack or Cliffy B had a sex change?

Personally, our acceptance of Glenda has always served as a reminder to me that the Mac community is just more mature and open-minded that the PC gaming community.
But that's just my opinion.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 06:01 PM

Yikes...to each his/her own, but I would've rather not slipped into this thread...

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2004, 06:54 PM

Well, good for her. As long as she keeps programming.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2004, 09:16 PM

Well, I didn't know that but now I do. Good for her.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2004, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
where does it say that?

-r.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2004, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
He/she wishes. There is no way to make all your XY chromosomes XX. :/
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

James L
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by gotterdamm:
I for one, have always been proud of the way the Mac gaming community has accepted Glenda's change. Just about everyone on IMG and Gameranger knows about it, but no one ever gives her a hard time.

Could you imagine the way the PC gaming community would act if John Carmack or Cliffy B had a sex change?

Personally, our acceptance of Glenda has always served as a reminder to me that the Mac community is just more mature and open-minded that the PC gaming community.
But that's just my opinion.

Well said,

Anytime I hear a redneck critizing this type of thing I just feel sad for them... that they are that insecure about themselves that they feel the need to shed negativity on a personal choice someone has made that doesn't even effect them.

If this choice made Glenda happy, then great. If it doesn't make the rednecks happy then sorry, but maybe they can have another beer and play some more banjo while the adults continue on with life!

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2004, 11:13 AM

WTF!?
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
He/she wishes. There is no way to make all your XY chromosomes XX. :/
Not what he said. Of course they can't change chromosomes.

I didn't bother to read the article myself (dead horse, etc.), but I think what Tulkas was saying is that Mark Adams was a male with XX chromosomes (ie. chromosomally, a female).

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Vash:
WTF!?

Hahaha
( Last edited by blizzard; Feb 22, 2004 at 04:20 PM. )

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
Feb 21, 2004, 06:57 PM

I saw the picture of her at some kind of marathon or running event and I can't help but think that it's unfair if they rank by gender. She's got the strength of a man, the women have no chance against her!!!

Oh, and she gets to go into women sauna's, which is totally unfair.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 22, 2004, 04:19 PM

If she were chromosomally a female, then she would be, and would always have been, a she in every sense of the word. The issue was that her personality has always been that of a woman, but she's had a man's body. The sex change is merely a step towards trying to solve that difference.

As far as the athletic ranking goes, they had that problem with a transsexual tennis player back in the 70s...I forget her name. Incidentally, I also forget the outcome, and my sexuality text is back at school.

It's an interesting situation, and not one lightly dealt with.

redJag
Senior User
Feb 22, 2004, 04:30 PM

This discussion is about a sex change..sex change is not a mac game, I'm sorry. Sad that this hasn't been moved :'(
Travis Sanderson

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2004, 04:54 PM

wow, i had no idea!
Well this is actually relevent to mac games. Like stated earlier in this thread, her change shows how accepting and supportive the mac gaming community is.
If my PC gamer friend were to find out his games were being ported by someone in Glenda's situation he'd through his computer out the window in disgust.
Go mac gamers!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2004, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by blizzard:
If she were chromosomally a female, then she would be, and would always have been, a she in every sense of the word. The issue was that her personality has always been that of a woman, but she's had a man's body. The sex change is merely a step towards trying to solve that difference.
Well, perhaps she could have been chromosomally a male; I don't know, I was just basing it on what Tulkas (I believe) suggested.

It is incorrect, however, to state that if one is chromosomally a female one is "a she in every sense of the word." Pseudohermaphrodism is quite viable in humans. While not true hermaphrodites (they're sterile), it's possible to have all XX tissues but be male (phenotypically), or have XY tissues and be a phenotypic female (called testicular feminization syndrome). Interestingly enough, the latter is often discovered when inquiring about failure to conceive (the woman has a blind vagina, with no uterus or ovaries, and testes in the labia or abdomen). It happens about 1 in 65000 male births, if I remember correctly.

greg

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 22, 2004, 11:12 PM

You win!

So am I hearing that people want me to move this to the Lounge? I'm easy either way, though I fear what exposure to the cesspool known as the Lounge may do to this topic's so far mature discussion. There's a reason I never go in there.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 12:08 AM

Good point. It's about Mac game porting, after all...

greg

GlendaA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2004, 10:55 AM

I'm not sure this is really relevant to the Mac Games thread either, but maybe if I answer a few of the curious questions we can just let things rest... I won't respond to the nasty or silly things, but I'm never afraid to answer a reasonable question.

Yes, I have had surgery. Suellen and I have been happily together for 7 years, and plan many more. I don't program any more, so maybe you could say my programming skills decreased

I have no idea what my chromosomal makeup is, and don't really care enough to find out.

As far as running, I'm not competitive with the top of my women's age group even in just the local area, although I'm better than average. I started running after my transition, so I don't think I have any inherent advantage. And the Olympic committee doesn't have a problem with it, so it's probably ok for local fun runs.

Hopefully this topic can calm down now.

Thanks,
Glenda Adams

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 08:23 PM

Soooooo...about that OS X Unreal Tournament.......

greg

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
Soooooo...about that OS X Unreal Tournament.......

greg
Haha.

Thanks for replying, Glenda. More power to ya. But back to work with ya. Games ... more games.

g3_brandon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2004, 02:53 AM

I also don't post around here often, I prefer to inhabit the MacGamer forums...

Glenda-Its great that you are so open and comfortable about everything, I think that is a great quality to have and you should be proud of it (which you seem to be). I don't think that anyone should treat you differently because who you are.

I also think it is great how the Mac gaming community is open-minded and accepting...I agree how many other groups would have a less-preferable reaction.

And on a more gaming note...how about Deus Ex for X????????
Brandon
--
Dual 2.0GHz G5, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules