Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2.16 MBP should be in my hands within a week!

2.16 MBP should be in my hands within a week!
Silencer
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2006, 12:02 AM

After having various issues with my 15" 1.67 PB, Apple have offered to swap it for a brand new15" 2.16 GHZ MBP with the 7200rpm drive

I can't wait!!

Now hopefully this new MBP will cause me no issues...

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 01:16 AM

Holy crap ... that's quite the upgrade. I would understand if they exchanged it for the lowest-end MBP, but the 2.16 GHz? Sh*t.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2006, 01:26 AM

holy **** what was wrong with your powerbook? what issues did you have that apple decided to upgrade you ?

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Silencer
After having various issues with my 15" 1.67 PB, Apple have offered to swap it for a brand new15" 2.16 GHZ MBP with the 7200rpm drive

I can't wait!!

Now hopefully this new MBP will cause me no issues...
I'm sure it will do you proud man... I guess you must need it pretty quick, otherwise you would have waited for Merom?

Kyros
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by siflippant
I'm sure it will do you proud man... I guess you must need it pretty quick, otherwise you would have waited for Merom?

What? Apple is sending him a replacement. I don't think he can really tell them to wait...
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

cLin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 05:07 PM

of course he can, it'll be like this

"ummm, apple is it possible to wait a few weeks so you can send a better version of the mbp then right now? THANKS!"

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2006, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kyros
What? Apple is sending him a replacement. I don't think he can really tell them to wait...
I guess my humor is way too dry for these boards...

Silencer  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2006, 10:08 AM

I did consider waiting for the new line up, but as it is the 2.16 was very generous in my opinion.

They did originally offer me the 2ghz version, but I let them know that when I purchased my PB it was the top of the range 15" with an upgraded HD, and it just took the employee 20mins to approve the 2.16 rather than the 2.0ghz, with the 7200 speed drive.

The main issues were the fairly common ones that crop up, nothing too out of the ordinary.

This machine gets used for my audio work and all in all this is going to be a big upgrade in using Logic.

Should only be another 4/5 days now!!

kapkorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Silencer
I did consider waiting for the new line up, but as it is the 2.16 was very generous in my opinion.

They did originally offer me the 2ghz version, but I let them know that when I purchased my PB it was the top of the range 15" with an upgraded HD, and it just took the employee 20mins to approve the 2.16 rather than the 2.0ghz, with the 7200 speed drive.

The main issues were the fairly common ones that crop up, nothing too out of the ordinary.

This machine gets used for my audio work and all in all this is going to be a big upgrade in using Logic.

Should only be another 4/5 days now!!

How many repairs did you have done in order for them to replace it?
Windows IT guy by day,
Mac\Linux user by night.

My FIRST Mac ever!
Macbook 2.0Ghz 100GB HDD 2GB RAM

Silencer  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2006, 06:51 PM

4 repairs in total 3 for the HD, 1 for the Logic Board

jvicinanza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 10:00 AM

cool im gonna try and get my Apple 11e upgraded to Mac Pro!!!

Thanks for the tip!

thefunkymunky
Aug 22, 2006, 11:18 AM

Nice upgrade. But sorry to steal you thunder. Not as good as Apple offering me a fully loaded 2.16GHz MBP since my previous one was in for repair. Then my old one getting sent back with an upgraded CPU (2.16 from 2.0) and fully repaired.

I now have literally two new MBP's both fully loaded. Guess where the unopened one is going.
MacBook Pro - 15.4-inch/2.16GHz Intel Core Duo/2GB RAM/100GB S-ATA 5400RPM HDD/ATI X1600 256MB/SuperDrive. PSN ID: kraized
facebook

shecky
Aug 22, 2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by thefunkymunky
I now have literally two new MBP's both fully loaded. Guess where the unopened one is going.
back to apple when their accounting practices catch up with their goof. this happened to my old company and i was this close to selling the extra machine when we got a phone call from apple asking us to return the extra machine.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 22, 2006, 11:41 AM

I was going to say "the closet" because someone at Apple will figure this out one way or the other. Without someone there providing me a letter that says "Gee, we're sorry for all the trouble we gave you, so here's $2500 worth of computer free," I would not even consider doing anything but putting the extra one away somewhere safe.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

thefunkymunky
Aug 23, 2006, 03:47 AM

The new one they sent me has been authorised, I've got an delivery note and invoice which says Apple Replacement MBP FOC or something like that. Its the Apple Repair Centre that made the mistake in sending my old one back.
MacBook Pro - 15.4-inch/2.16GHz Intel Core Duo/2GB RAM/100GB S-ATA 5400RPM HDD/ATI X1600 256MB/SuperDrive. PSN ID: kraized
facebook

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 23, 2006, 10:10 AM

Still, somebody's going to catch heck over this, and if you keep things nice and neat for a while I think you'll get a nice letter from Repair that says "please help us out with our inventory screw up." Or not, but give 'em time to figure it out. Or be a "good citizen" and call them to let them know what happened.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mrwilly123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 11:15 AM

Oh, man. Let me tell you guys a story. In about August 2004, my old iBook G3 was totally messed up. Logic board issues, all that. After 2 logic board replacements, it broke for the third time. I call Apple, they say they'll send me an iBook G4.

So I start setting up the transfer with another guy, and I ask if I could pay a little extra for Bluetooth and an upgraded HD. He says no Bluetooth, but he'll max out my HD. I send away my G3, get my G4 the next day, but it's a base model with no upgrades.

I call Apple, a little angry that I didn't get what I was promised. I say that the company should be held to their word even if it's not "official policy" and I didn't really deserve it anyway, since the processor upgrade is nice enough. Still want to get what I was promised. Applecare tells me to go see a Mac Genius.

I have several talks with a really nice, helpful Genius at Apple Clarendon, and he seems pretty determined to get what Apple promised me. For the next week or two, he's trying to get a HD from Apple and do the upgrade himself. He's emailing me updates on the situation, very nice. But eventually Apple says they can't just mail an upgrade HD and he has only one other option. He just orders a brand new iBook G4 with ALL the BTO options (Bluetooth, HD, etc, and leaving me with an extra Airport Extreme card to sell) and when it arrives, I just give him my replacement iBook G4 for the new, loaded iBook G4.

Bottom line: Even if you feel just a little bit ripped off, you should ALWAYS fight and exercise your consumer rights. That, and that the Genius in Clarendon is amazing.

Silencer  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2006, 08:19 PM

Finally recieved the 2.16, I'm loving it so far, only tiny thing is that the screen doesn't open as far as my old one but big deal.

In short its fantastic, smooth and quick.

I'm over the moon.

Haven't had any major heat issues and its on my lap for a long time! Just need to install some apps and get some audio and video editing going so I can really see how hard this puppy can go.

JDSURGE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 07:57 PM

I purchased a macbook from apple with the free educational ipod. I had got a couple of problems with my macbook. I got a full refund, and I got to keep the $200 nano.

Forum Links
Forum Rules