Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Rev. A. MBP - Worth repairing/upgrading?

Rev. A. MBP - Worth repairing/upgrading?
thefunkymunky
Jan 28, 2009, 10:26 AM

Hello,

I have a Rev. A. 15-inch MBP 2.16GHz which I use daily but has got a few problems of late.

First off the SuperDrive has stopped working. Doesn't read/write to any media at all.

Second, the display panel has some clusters of dead pixels forming on the right hand side.

Third, I spilt water on the keyboard and managed to fry the backlight. Well I say water - it was beer.

And fourth, I'm thinking about upgrading the hard drive as it only contains a 100GB model.

Anyway, I'm wondering is it worth reparing/upgrading or shall I just save some cash and buy a shiny new unibody. I don't have AppleCare so I'm thinking about doing the work myself. I have taken these machines apart before so I don't mind giving it a crack.

Now, I can find nearly all the parts on ebay. SuperDrive and keyboard I can get for a couple of quid. I've seen a complete display panel with all casing and cables intact just come on ebay from the same seller as the keyboard and SuperDrive. I've contacted him and he's just selling the parts off as he doesn't need them anymore.

The hard drive I'm just going to buy a new one from Ebuyer UK.

If I can get the all the parts for a reasonable price surely it would be worth it rather than forking out £1400 smackers on a new unibody and trying to sell this one on ebay with all the problems for not much cash.

What you think?
MacBook Pro - 15.4-inch/2.16GHz Intel Core Duo/2GB RAM/100GB S-ATA 5400RPM HDD/ATI X1600 256MB/SuperDrive. PSN ID: kraized
facebook

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2009, 06:32 PM

Fleabay and buy a refurb unibody.

thefunkymunky  (op)
Jan 28, 2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Fleabay and buy a refurb unibody.
Maybe, but I won't get much on ebay for the machine as it is. Refurb unibody's only go for around £200 cheaper than retail on the UK Store.
MacBook Pro - 15.4-inch/2.16GHz Intel Core Duo/2GB RAM/100GB S-ATA 5400RPM HDD/ATI X1600 256MB/SuperDrive. PSN ID: kraized
facebook

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2009, 07:36 PM

If you don't have a fancy car, you could use it for a Carputer kit. Or you could turn it into a home theater computer. Get an external TB drive, rip your DVDs to it, connect it to a TV. Could install some PVR software on it as well.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

davecom
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2009, 08:00 PM

Try repairing it, you don't have much to lose as long as you can put it back together.

Forum Links
Forum Rules