Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Repaired MBP comes back with different serial.

Repaired MBP comes back with different serial.
MickeyZ
Jul 11, 2006, 11:16 AM

Hi all,
My 15" MBP was repaired (the iSight camera didn't work) and when I got it back from service I was told that the problem was with the camera, which was replaced. The service person I talked to wasn't sure whether anything else was fixed and she's going to ring me back with repair details. However I suspect that they replaced the main logic board because the serial number in System Profile is different now - it's actually earlier production number (W8612) than my original one (W8616) and I'm guessing that a separate serial number is assigned to each main logic board. If this turns out to be true I would be surprised they are replacing faulty logic boards with older ones - anyone had similar experience?

Also, it the replacement of the main logic board is normal practise and as a result I have a different serial number how Apple handles 1-year warranty period? If I use my original serial number on Apple support webpage I get correct period of remaining warranty, but when I use the one from the current logic board I'm loosing 4 weeks!

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 11, 2006, 12:22 PM

Does the serial on the case and system profiler match?

"Hello, what have we here?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 02:21 PM

They might have just given you a new one, I sent my iPod in to have the clickwheel fixed ( it wasn't working after only 4 months of use) and two weeks later there was a brand new one on my porch.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2006, 02:44 PM

They can and do use refurbished logic boards/parts for warranty repairs. My rev A 17" refurb had the PC Card and Airport controller go out. Replaced with an older board which had the video controller fail and replaced again. Now it's been running strong for a few years.... minus my Superdrive not reading all the time.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

iampivot
Jul 12, 2006, 02:47 PM

I had a new logic board installed, and it doesn't have a serial number, System Profiler reports

Serial Number: SystemSerialNumb

which apple said is because they don't have any means of programming the serial number of logic boards. So If yours is different now it is surely a logic board from another machine that has been installed.

MickeyZ  (op)
Jul 13, 2006, 05:30 AM

I've checked the serial number on the sticker under the batter pack and it is my original serial number, while System Profiler shows the other (older) serial number. So I suspect they have put and older/refurbished logic board in my MBP, but the sticker that is under battery pack is not actually on the logic board, but on a part of the MBP bottom case and it stayed the same. Unfortunately the logic board I have now has a whine and MBP seems to be having problems with wireless network connection in the exact same setup that worked fine before the repair.

Do you know how it affects the Apple warranty, I mean the other (older) serial number in System Profiler, as it indicates that my MBP was purchased 4 weeks earlier? Or what is valid in case of warranty period is the serial number which is on the receipt from Apple store, which is my original serial number obviously.

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

thefunkymunky
Jul 13, 2006, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by iampivot
I had a new logic board installed, and it doesn't have a serial number, System Profiler reports

Serial Number: SystemSerialNumb

which apple said is because they don't have any means of programming the serial number of logic boards. So If yours is different now it is surely a logic board from another machine that has been installed.
I am not sure why Apple have told you that they have no means of programming a serial number into a logic board. On my first MBP I had the logic board replaced and insisted they reprogramme my serial into the new board (mainly for reasons of theft - no way to track and/or proof of ownership etc if no serial number hardcoded into the machine). Anyway. They did reprogramme the board no problem.
MacBook Pro - 15.4-inch/2.16GHz Intel Core Duo/2GB RAM/100GB S-ATA 5400RPM HDD/ATI X1600 256MB/SuperDrive. PSN ID: kraized
facebook

Forum Links
Forum Rules