Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > sd card slot...why?

sd card slot...why? (Page 3)
thibaulthalpern
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Let's face it: The "Pro" in MBP is marketing speak. It's a device used to drive sales.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with "amateur" vs "pro."
Yeah, it is pretty much marketing speak. I mean, they're not going to sell much computers if they call their other line of computers "MacBook Amateur" *guffaw*

-or-

Would that be MacBook Pro Poseur? MacBook Pro Po?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I agree, but let's not forget that Apple sometimes really is waaayyy ahead of everyone else.

Remember the original iMac, introduced 11 years ago w/o a floppy (*gasp*).
Well, you heard al those people whine, complain, belittle Apple for the decision.

It is possible that Apple once again took a look into the future.
That's all nice and probably true, but professional markets are quite conservative.

Consumer markets are driven by devices now aimed at a two-to-three-year lifespan.

Setting up a $300,000 recording operation needs to be a rather less short-lived affair, and that includes the necessity of being able to replace any component.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jun 12, 2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by iampivot View Post
It's not hard to see that SD sticks easily stores more data than both CDROMs and DVDs, even double layer DVDs.
They do have the ability to hold more data but until the prices match DVDs per gig then it's not really a benefit to me. I use DVDs to send files to clients and also as an affordable redundant backup option. I can get a 100 pack of DVDs for about $30 so it comes out to about $0.06 per gig.

Right now memory cards are still too expensive to just give away to clients. They are great for temporary storage and then reuse but I don't consider them cheap enough to be use as a one time storage item.

Until prices for SD or any other memory card become as cheap as DVDs then I don't see optical drives going anywhere. The price of Blue Ray disc is what is keeping me from using them even though I would like a larger capacity storage per item so it's not like I have any loyalties to optical drives.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2009, 12:33 PM

I think this is a very good point.

5-10 years from now, who will still use physical media ?

* Audio CDs - nobody, all digital downloads
* DVDs - probably not, digital downloads or smaller memory media
* software CDs - again, probably not, digital downloads or smaller memory media

Spheric, it's like asking musicians 10 years ago if they could live w/o minidisk. The answer would have been no. Nevertheless, MD died. And so will CD and DVD.

-t
To be fair, any musician would have told you that they could have lived without minidisk. No one used them professionally. You couldn't even record in uncompressed PCM until 2004.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
To be fair, any musician would have told you that they could have lived without minidisk. No one used them professionally. You couldn't even record in uncompressed PCM until 2004.
That's not true, it just depended on what kind of musician you are, and what you wanted to achieve.

-t

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2009, 12:42 PM

That's not true, it just depended on what kind of musician you are, and what you wanted to achieve.

-t
Let me rephrase then, no recording professional seriously used the format.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

freudling
Banned
Jun 12, 2009, 12:54 PM

I disagree with the fact that Apple is "looking into the future" with the SD card reader. Who wants to continue using media in the future anyway?

It's all about the web and the air. For example, I have clients telling me all the time that they want to send some DVD via courier, etc. I just point them to yousendit.com, and they can send their stuff that way. Much easier and reliable.

Then there is the air. Wifi is here to stay, and anyone wanting to transfer things should start looking to the air... and in the future, everything will be wireless...

Additionally, USB memory sticks do what everyone here states that SD cards are supposed to do. Why would Apple now add an SD card slot for file transfer purposes when USB memory sticks have been doing this job for years?

One reason I can think of is it is cleaner, since the memory stick does not stick out of the machine. The other reason is for photographers and the like to quickly swap in their media into the laptop, but they normally use CF?

So, this SD card slot thing just makes no sense to me.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 01:39 PM

Um, nobody's going to be booting off the 'net anytime soon. No.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Let me rephrase then, no recording professional seriously used the format.
That I agree with. For performing musicians, MD was great.
Well, sort of like how performing musicians nowadays want EC slots.
Because recording musicians are very likely to have a Mac Pro anyways.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Correct, plus there's always going to be those odd moments where you don't have internet access, or limited bandwidth. You always need to have some physical data media at your disposal.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 02:00 PM

That I agree with. For performing musicians, MD was great.
Well, sort of like how performing musicians nowadays want EC slots.
Because recording musicians are very likely to have a Mac Pro anyways.
a) Performing musicians aren't the ones using EC slots. Sound engineers are.

b) If you're working at the level where MD players were sufficient, you'd NOT be in EC/Mac Pro territory.

c) Please don't confuse studio equipment with road gear. People who use a Mac Pro in the studio are fairly likely working at a level where they'd want a MacBook Pro with EC slot for the road.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 03:26 PM

So, if I understand correctly, only sound engineers on the road would need EC.

Is there any reason why they couldn't use the 17", other than the higher price ?
It would seem to me that a sound engineer is maybe not as restricted in size of the laptop than a musician on stage would be.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 04:01 PM

They are subject to the exact same airline seats and carry-on formats as every other tour crew member.

In the end, people will use whatever tools are available to them for their work. If the only machine that allows them to do their job is the 17", then that's what they'll use.

Again: The people most in need of professional tools are the ones who don't have the time to argue about them on the web.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2009, 04:47 PM

I do not consider the "pro" in Macbook Pro to be just a marketing gimmick, and IMO loss of EC is a very bad thing. eSATA and other (important to pro users) EC connected-protocols are very necessary for many folks that perform professional work of various kinds in the field.

Apple should provide pro capability on their pro laptops. Adding SD is just a toy and already available via third party EC/34 cards. Another USB (talk about slow) port would be even sillier, even more low end. Personally I will always have at least 17" size so as long as the 17s remain EC-capable its all good with me.

-Allen Wicks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
So, Class 6 SD is probably sufficient (minimum 6 MB/s, but often much higher), but does the Apple slot support Class 10?
Class ratings apply to cards, not readers. The reader in the MacBooks is USB, so figure the max transfer rate is 20-25MBps.

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I can't wait to PXE boot over cellular data!

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2009, 11:23 PM

I'm willing to bet even if Apple replaced the EC slot with an additional FW800 port and an eSATA port people would still be complaining.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2009, 11:26 PM

Well, the extra FW800 port wouldn't do much for you since FW is daisy-chainable anyway.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2009, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Well, the extra FW800 port wouldn't do much for you since FW is daisy-chainable anyway.
It would if you wanted a second FW bus.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Class ratings apply to cards, not readers. The reader in the MacBooks is USB, so figure the max transfer rate is 20-25MBps.
You're right, but some readers are better than others. One would hope though that Apple's reader can max out the bus. 20 Mbps would be great.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2009, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Which you wouldn't get. Even when the MBPs had a FW800 and FW400 port, they were both on the same bus, which made the FW400 even more useless since using it would slow down the FW800 port.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2009, 03:12 AM

When MacBooks had two ports, they shared the same bus.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2009, 06:15 AM

I'm willing to bet even if Apple replaced the EC slot with an additional FW800 port and an eSATA port people would still be complaining.
Sure they would. And rightly so.

EC offers that and more. Why take away something versatile and replace it with less? Why take away options and replace them with what to many is ballast? Options are good. SD is a toy.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Sure they would. And rightly so.

EC offers that and more. Why take away something versatile and replace it with less? Why take away options and replace them with what to many is ballast? Options are good. SD is a toy.
Surely it'd have been preferable to an SD slot though?

@CharlesS, can't we all just pretend I implied that Apple added a second FW bus along with the port? I know the old MBP's shared the bus between the two ports (and the slowdown it caused).

calverson
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2009, 02:39 PM

Vote

And people opinions on this thread may actually have some sort of backing behind them.

P
Jun 15, 2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I do not consider the "pro" in Macbook Pro to be just a marketing gimmick, and IMO loss of EC is a very bad thing. eSATA and other (important to pro users) EC connected-protocols are very necessary for many folks that perform professional work of various kinds in the field.
Examples of "other EC-connected protocols" that are important to pro users? I don't say that they don't exist - in fact, I'm certain they DO exist, and my pet request to Apple is an EC slot on the iMac to build a market for such devices - but I'm getting insanely tired of eSATA being mentioned as the most important thing ever when there is no market to support that claim.

If the only thing anyone can mention using EC for is eSATA, Apple could much more easily add that port. They don't. My explanation for that is that their preferred way of working is to buy a laptop with a big enough HD that you fit your working set on it, and then use a slower external drive for backup or transfers to other machines or whatnot. That not your preferred way of working? Too bad. Apple works like this all the time - it's why there's no xMac. It's infuriating as hell on occasion, but it seems to be working for them.

My point here is this: If you want that EC slot back, you need to come up with a better argument than "I want eSATA", because that won't cut it. If you have audio interfaces that need it or you need FC connections on the road or something: fine. As long as it's something that you cannot (easily) access some other way, I think it might work. But you're hurting your argument if the only thing you mention is eSATA.

Personally, I want to use it for one of these.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2009, 11:33 AM

I've already posted this more than once in these various "Pro" book threads:

Magma Home Page

These guys build ExpressCard-connected PCI / PCI-X expansion chassis, and it's the ONLY way to get something like the ubiquitous UAD2 DSP card hooked up to a MacBook Pro - at least, it used to be possible.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2009, 11:45 AM

I'd really like to see a dock-type connection, which can be done through the slot, like Belkin has done for Windows. People have complained of a lack of such a slot (all Dells have docking connectors, etc.), and this slot is at least a non-BookEndz way to do that.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

webraider
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2009, 02:56 PM

Umm, storage is what I was talking about.

Even if USB3 reaches 400 MB/s real-world throughput it still won't necessarily be the ideal bus for external storage. And eSATA might still be desirable. And if that's the situation we actually arrive at, I won't be the least bit surprised if Apple goes USB-only.

This is WHY they added Firewire 800 back! the Ideal Storage. Being able to boot off the SD card slot does have some advantages though. Especially for the Apple Technicians.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2009, 03:02 PM

For Apple Techs, I assume they'd just use a USB stick with something like ProToGo on it, since all Intels can be booted from USB. Otherwise, I think you could do the same with a EC SSD or memory adapter/card.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by webraider View Post
This is WHY they added Firewire 800 back! the Ideal Storage. Being able to boot off the SD card slot does have some advantages though. Especially for the Apple Technicians.
FW800 involves a bridge chip. That means additional cost and a performance hit. IOW it's not "ideal storage".

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2009, 02:23 AM

I'm really wondering if Laptop Hunters was more powerful than everybody thought. The economic situation was known to Apple long before LH and they had ample time to react but they didn't. Only now -- after LH -- we finally see them budge. I guess we'll never know what eventually made their blood pressure go up.
Well at least Apple legal seems to be making the same connection.

Originally Posted by Microsoft COO on Laptop Hunters
And you know why I know they're working? Because two weeks ago we got a call from the Apple legal department saying, hey -- this is a true story -- saying, "Hey, you need to stop running those ads, we lowered our prices." They took like $100 off or something. It was the greatest single phone call in the history that I've ever taken in business. (Applause.)

I did cartwheels down the hallway. At first I said, "Is this a joke? Who are you?" Not understanding what an opportunity. And so we're just going to keep running them and running them and running them.
This is coming from a MS executive, but still it made me laugh.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...unters-ads.ars

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
just wondering. i have a digital camera, i plug it in to usb, and copy my pictures and videos to my macbook. simple.

so...what's the benefit of an sd slot? anyone?
I could have used another USB port, actually.
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by ApertureValue View Post
I could have used another USB port, actually.
this.

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
this.
i SO agree...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

colourfastt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
*LOL* This is so funny. I love your insight MacBook Semi-Pro...guffaw!
Comparing the new unibodies with my early '08 15" MPB, the new ones are MacBook BARELY-Pro.

colourfastt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2009, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post

Apple should provide pro capability on their pro laptops. Adding SD is just a toy and already available via third party EC/34 cards. Another USB (talk about slow) port would be even sillier, even more low end. Personally I will always have at least 17" size so as long as the 17s remain EC-capable its all good with me.

-Allen Wicks
Apple seems to be in a race to the bottom with its laptop features. It seems that the "Pro" models are being designed to appeal to the lowest-end consumer rather than "prosumers" or professionals.
( Last edited by colourfastt; Jul 19, 2009 at 11:44 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules