Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Video Editing Software

Video Editing Software
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2012, 03:57 PM

Thinking of getting the Go Pro HD Hero2 Surf Edition. I'd like to be able to capture stuff that I can use to 'fake' ultra slow motion. The Hero2s do 720p at 60fps or WVGA at 120 fps. I'd then like to use some sort of software to make it look like it was filmed at 1000fps. Twixtor seems to be the reference for this 'faking' but there's also Apple Motion.

My question is about the film editing software that should be used around the 1000fps manipulation. From what I hear and read, people don't like the newest FCP. Doesn't look like Twixtor works with iMovie. I have to be honest in saying that I haven't got a clue how to figure out what Adobe product I'd want, IIUC After Effects is Hollywood studio stuff so probably well above me. What about Adobe Premiere Pro?

andi*pandi
May 14, 2012, 12:40 PM

I haven't used it. I have an older version of FInal Cut. Maybe that would work for you?

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2012, 02:55 PM

Not sure about Final Cut, seems quite complicated. I've used iMovie, but I'd really like to be able to do slow motion stuff.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
From what I hear and read, people don't like the newest FCP.
Bullshit.

Entrenched pros went up in arms over it because Apple completely miscommunicated its introduction and brought out a polished but incomplete version suitable at best as a replacement for Final Cut Express.

They have since added a number of the most crucial features, but that isn't enough to mend the pro community's distrust of Apple's pro product politics.

The application itself is fine, and a whole lot more accessible than the "old" FCP ever was.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
May 19, 2012, 09:28 PM

Thinking of getting the Go Pro HD Hero2 Surf Edition. I'd like to be able to capture stuff that I can use to 'fake' ultra slow motion. The Hero2s do 720p at 60fps or WVGA at 120 fps. I'd then like to use some sort of software to make it look like it was filmed at 1000fps. Twixtor seems to be the reference for this 'faking' but there's also Apple Motion.

My question is about the film editing software that should be used around the 1000fps manipulation. From what I hear and read, people don't like the newest FCP. Doesn't look like Twixtor works with iMovie. I have to be honest in saying that I haven't got a clue how to figure out what Adobe product I'd want, IIUC After Effects is Hollywood studio stuff so probably well above me. What about Adobe Premiere Pro?
Get the 30 day trial. FCP X has really brought non linear editing to a more interesting, story-oriented way. I'm still on FCP6 and can't wait to update.

But, of course, for this the new Mac Pro first has to come out...

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2012, 04:49 PM

OK, I'll look at FCP. Reckon it'll run alright on a 2007 iMac? (2.16 Core 2 Duo, 4G Ram - of which only 3G is seen)

andi*pandi
May 20, 2012, 05:23 PM

It's bound to run better than it did on my PowerPC G5 !

Veltliner
Mac Elite
May 22, 2012, 12:30 AM

OK, I'll look at FCP. Reckon it'll run alright on a 2007 iMac? (2.16 Core 2 Duo, 4G Ram - of which only 3G is seen)
Check with an Apple store if it will run on your old machine. It might not - as FCP X is 64 bit.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2012, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Check with an Apple store if it will run on your old machine. It might not - as FCP X is 64 bit.
All Core 2 Duo machines can run 64-bit software.

How about here:
Apple - Final Cut Pro X - System Requirements and Tech Specs

Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better.
2GB of RAM (4GB of RAM recommended).
OpenCL-capable graphics card or
Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later.
256MB of VRAM (512MB of VRAM recommended).
Display with 1280-by-768 resolution or higher.
OS X v10.6.8 or OS X v10.7.2 or later (OS X v10.7.2 or later for broadcast monitoring).
2.4GB of disk space.
And then here:
Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Graphics card compatibility
The following graphics cards are not OpenCL compatible and do not meet the OpenCL compatible graphics card system requirement for Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4.

Graphics Card Shipped In
ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT iMac (Mid 2007)
iMac (Early 2008)
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO iMac (Mid 2007)
iMac (Early 2008)

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2012, 06:36 AM

Those system reqs are the limit of my machine. Guess I'll have to buy a new iMac !!

Forum Links
Forum Rules