Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MB or ibook for gameing

MB or ibook for gameing
ParabolStellavento
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2007, 05:41 PM

Alright, its probably been asked many times, but I don't have a lot of time to search threads right now, and i'm thinking of buying a Macbook or ibook, and i was just wondering if i'll be able to play WoW decently on the $1300 one, without buying any upgrades and such. I don't plan to use it for a whole lot else, maybe a low end game that should work with no problems, but I was wondering if it can play Wow basically out of the box.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 06:12 PM

No, at the very least you'll wait to have 1gb if not 2gb of RAM. There is also a forum dedicated to games. I would pose your question there in regards to frame rates etc. If your budget is $1300, buy a refurb model and add ram... or save your cash. Your computer budget should never be all your money.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2007, 08:28 PM

Yes.

GLFaster on MacBook Core Duo 2.0 w/2GB - a photoset on Flickr

As the other poster said, buy a refurb and 2GB RAM.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Feb 8, 2007, 04:50 AM

My wife plays WoW on her macbook with 1.25GB of memory, and it runs much better then I thought it would with a GMA 950. I was impressed to say the least, and would recommend WoW on it any day!
iMac G4 / Macbook

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2007, 05:58 AM

WoW will run alright, but if your looking to play HL2 or someother graphics card intensive gaming I'd definately go with a Macbook, or if you don't need a portable get an iMac you'll get a lot of the same features for cheaper, a bigger hard drive, as well as a MUCH bigger screen. Games on Windows XP run great.

jdrumstik
Feb 8, 2007, 08:08 PM

Yeah, um don't try to run HL2 on a MacBook you really need a dedicated GPU for that sort of thing, not the Intel Stuff. Also, I get the impression that he is one of those people that plays WoW and WoW Only.

As for me, I might play steam, but I'm cought up on SNES9X Emu with Chorno Trigger.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2007, 10:06 PM

MB, wider and better screen. Bigger trackpad and better keys.Faster processor and has a built in iCam which can come in handy. Graphics wise, MB has a slight edge. But if you are a true gamer (I may get bashed for this and will def. regret saying it) do not get a mac. Games are delayed on Mac. Do not get me wrong, mac is an awesome system but I think it is better suited for digital editing and basic computer stuff. Not gaming.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 10:18 PM

I second the question of "why are you getting a mac". You could save some money by getting a PC if the only thing it's going to do is play WoW.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2007, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
I second the question of "why are you getting a mac". You could save some money by getting a PC if the only thing it's going to do is play WoW.
Few!!! I thought I would get banned from here for saying that.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

real
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2007, 03:19 PM

It seems to me that you will have to decide yourself what you consider good game play. Some people who are serious gamers need the fastest framerate possible and people who just need to play the game to kill some time. Go to an Apple store and see for yourself if the game play on the MB is enough for you.

real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

ParabolStellavento  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by jdrumstik View Post
Yeah, um don't try to run HL2 on a MacBook you really need a dedicated GPU for that sort of thing, not the Intel Stuff. Also, I get the impression that he is one of those people that plays WoW and WoW Only.

As for me, I might play steam, but I'm cought up on SNES9X Emu with Chorno Trigger.
to be honest i've never played wow. I spend most of my time playing a 2d game called graal online xD I just wanted to try it, and wanted to know if it was at least going to be playable, and no, I don't really care for HL games anyways

ParabolStellavento  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by real View Post
It seems to me that you will have to decide yourself what you consider good game play. Some people who are serious gamers need the fastest framerate possible and people who just need to play the game to kill some time. Go to an Apple store and see for yourself if the game play on the MB is enough for you.

real
I don't need crazy fast framerates, i moreso just wanted to make sure if I tried to play it, it would actually play, i don't care if its slow and such, the MB wouldn't be straight for gameing, just for a passtime. But I'm on a compaq presario from like, '99 that had 64 mb of ram most of its life (300 mb or so for the last year), and it doesn't run much more than maybe Gunz.

maccrack
Feb 10, 2007, 03:15 AM

dude ot runs great i play WoW on mine all the time but i use a 3rd party keyboard and mouse.
white macbook, 2ghz, 1gb of ram, 80gb hd.

ParabolStellavento  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by maccrack View Post
dude ot runs great i play WoW on mine all the time but i use a 3rd party keyboard and mouse.
Alright, thanks man.

Forum Links
Forum Rules