Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Got my design online.....

Got my design online.....
PianoMan
Mar 23, 2005, 10:35 AM

hey guys,

so i finally got my xhtml and css finished for my site and have got it online, it's still in development (as in i now have to learn php and mysql to get the backend running), but the design is up so tell me what you think please. look at the code if you wish and even tell me where i might be going wrong or what i can do to improve, it's all good.

i've been gently influenced by alistapart for the navigation part of the site and will credit them in my code, or am i being a bit shitty and should redesign the navigation?

all the images on the site i took myself apart from the cd covers, and yes i know there are a few speeling mistakes here and there, but it's just in development. i'm also not a graphic designer so don't expect anything too spectacular, plus this is my first attempt.

the thing that makes me most proud is the its XHTML Transitional and CSS complient.

you can check it here, please tell me what you think?

www.plasticrank.com/weblog.html

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 23, 2005, 10:37 AM

oh yeah i forgot to add that it works in all the browsers i've tried so far on my mac, but i haven't tested on windows and therefore haven't implemented the box model hack for ie 5.x windows, but i will do.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2005, 10:50 AM

I like the look. Crediting ALA would be a good idea, but I don't think there's a need to redesign as long as you do that.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 23, 2005, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I like the look. Crediting ALA would be a good idea, but I don't think there's a need to redesign as long as you do that.
thanks man, i wanted to go with a sort of minimal look, but not too colourless. i'm really proud with what i've achieved so far, i mean when i came to you guys with the question of what languages i would need to learn for web development i had no idea how good i could make it look. like i said i'm most proud that the design meets the standards.

now i'm starting to learn php and mysql to get the weblog and archives and such actually working. i was thinking about using something like movable type or wordsmith, but i feel a learnig how to code a weblog myself will be more beneficial.

thanks for the reply.

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2005, 11:02 AM

yes, it looks vaguely similar, but ALA didn't exactly come up with the idea of horizontal navigation. unless you totally copied their code 100%, and then changed the colours, i don't see why they need a hat-tip.

if you'd read how to do it in a tutorial, such as an online article or from a book, would you still feel the need to credit the original author? i certainly don't expect people to credit me if they use code from my book in their sites. i guess that's slightly different, though, with it being tutorial-based, as opposed to just nicking code from a site. wait, i'm wandering off on a tangent, now. i'll get back to work and shut up. eh, at least Mundy will smirk.

PianoMan  (op)
Jul 7, 2005, 05:14 PM

hi, i've been designing and redesigning forever and hove sort of finally decided on this. i would appreciate any feedback good or bad, i'm not a designer and so benefit from other peoples opinions.

http://www.plasticrank.com

thanks again, by the way i credited you guys in my about section. you showed me the way....

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 08:11 PM

i like it a lot, i think it looks very nice.

good work.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 09:02 PM

I really like the colors.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules