Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Free Leopard Upgrade?

Free Leopard Upgrade?
soon2bmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2007, 01:35 AM

I was trying to remember if when Tiger came out if those who had bought a computer recently got a free upgrade to the new OS? I am thinking that they did because I was really jealous that they got the free upgrade but that might be my mind playing tricks on me due to the fact that I have the chance to purchase a new Mac Pro this weekend and rumor has it that Leopard will be arriving in the next week or so. Anyone have better memory than I do?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2007, 01:46 AM

I don't think so.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2007, 01:50 AM

Generally, if you buy a Mac after an OS version is announced to be released, you get a free upgrade. If you buy one now, you will almost certainly not.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2007, 10:33 AM

I believe they have a policy that if you purchase a computer within 14 days of the release that they will upgrade, but don't quote me on that.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2007, 12:29 PM

Not sure why Leopard will be arriving "in the next week" when a ship date hasn't been announced yet ;-) If my memory serves, the last few times it's been announced it has been 2-4 weeks after that that it was available.

Anyway, I think the policy is typically that if you buy a system AFTER the next version is announced but before it ships, that you can get an upgrade for the cost of the media and shipping (like $19.95 or something). No idea if it will be the same this time around.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2007, 01:00 PM

I'm sure it'll be the same as it has been. After the day it is announced and you buy a new Mac you'll get the upgrade for the price of media and shipping.

Say Leopard got finished today they wouldn't have disks printed by next week, so no, it's not coming out next week. Chances are we'll find out a ship date closer to June.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2007, 01:04 PM

june 11

schalliol
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2007, 07:44 AM

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm about to order a Mac Pro and it has been announced (publically and on Apple's site) that the OS will be available this Spring. Of course it's now April, so if you buy a machine now, you know that in two and 1/2 months the new OS will be out. Clicking the software tab brings a large graphic on the right side for 10.5. Heck, even Apple - Mac OS X at apple.com/macosx brings you to Leopard.

I argue that it's been announced, although not all the features have been shown. It would be pretty punishing to charge someone $100 for the OS so soon after the device is purchased. Especially when machines were released in August of 2006 with no apparent price reduction to date.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Amorya
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
I argue that it's been announced, although not all the features have been shown. It would be pretty punishing to charge someone $100 for the OS so soon after the device is purchased.
The only time you'll get a free OS upgrade from Apple is if the machine should have come with Leopard but didn't. In other words, if you bought a machine after Leopard was shipping, but got old stock that didn't have Leopard on. Then you get your free upgrade.

But for now, the machines ship with Tiger, and you buy it knowing that you'll only get Tiger.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2007, 08:24 AM

I argue that it's been announced, although not all the features have been shown. It would be pretty punishing to charge someone $100 for the OS so soon after the device is purchased. Especially when machines were released in August of 2006 with no apparent price reduction to date.
I'm not sure why its punishing, If people want 10.5 for free (legally) then you need to wait until its released or within two weeks of availability before buying a machine. If you buy a machine now, regardless of it being spring you'll need to buy it. for 125 buck its not that much money, not compared to purchasing other software, so I just chalk it up to being one of those things but then my macpro is 8 months old so I have 0% chance of getting leopard for free.
Michael

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2007, 10:48 AM

I argue that it's been announced, although not all the features have been shown.
You can argue that, but it's Apple's opinion that counts, and I doubt they view something that's not available for order and hasn't even gone FC as released software.
Chuck
___

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2007, 12:32 PM

I think Apple's definition of it being announced is when they say "Mac OS 10.5 will come out on this day." Then if you buy a Mac before that day you'll be eligible for a free upgrade.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I think Apple's definition of it being announced is when they say "Mac OS 10.5 will come out on this day." Then if you buy a Mac before that day you'll be eligible for a free upgrade.
I was under the impression that it was the other way round - Apple say it will come out on this day, so if you buy a Mac after that day, you'll get the upgrade. Before that day, and you're screwed, unless Apple has also announced an upgrade programme.
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Amorya View Post
I was under the impression that it was the other way round - Apple say it will come out on this day, so if you buy a Mac after that day, you'll get the upgrade. Before that day, and you're screwed, unless Apple has also announced an upgrade programme.
I believe "that day" in mdc's post meant the day of Apple's announcement, whereas you're using "that day" to mean the announced release date.
Chuck
___

Amorya
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I believe "that day" in mdc's post meant the day of Apple's announcement, whereas you're using "that day" to mean the announced release date.
I'm using it to mean the day MacOS X 10.5 goes on sale: i.e. you can walk into a shop and purchase a copy.

Unless Apple announce a special deal, I don't think you're going to get a free upgrade if you buy before then. I'm willing to be proven wrong, but that's my expectation.

Amorya

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2007, 08:46 PM

The way it's historically been done is to offer a media exchange program for customers who purchased a new Mac or a copy of the prior version of Mac OS after the announcement date (where the announcement date is where they say "It's just about ready, it'll be in stores on..."). Thus those customers get an upgrade for only the cost of postage (and maybe the media - I forget) meaning it costs like 10 or 15 bucks instead of 130.

I have a vague recollection that they sometimes give like 2 weeks ahead of the announcement date, because I had a friend who was out of it on the rumors and bought a new mac just before 10.4 came out, and I remember he qualified for the upgrade, but I don't remember when he purchased in comparison to the announcement...

schalliol
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2007, 09:39 PM

Yeah, it was 90 days from purchase and was called the Mac OS Up-to-date Program I believe. I think it was also $19.95.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Forum Links
Forum Rules