Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Blu-Ray or HD-DVD Player?

Blu-Ray or HD-DVD Player?
soon2bmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2007, 01:52 AM

Has anyone tried to hook up a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD burner/player in their Mac Pro? I was just wondering if anyone had tried to do this, it would be nice since evidently Apple is not going to pick one anytime soon.

dreamsINdigital
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2007, 02:23 AM

Actually, Apple picked Blu-ray. They're part of the Blu-ray Disc Association.

soon2bmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2007, 02:26 AM

Okay, so the question is, has anyone tried to install one in a Mac Pro and gotten it to work?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2007, 03:13 AM

Blu-Ray is supported by Toast 8, which I believe is bundled with some Sony Blu-Ray drives, so it should work perfectly.
Linkinus is king.

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Apr 5, 2007, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by dreamsINdigital View Post
Actually, Apple picked Blu-ray. They're part of the Blu-ray Disc Association.
This is wrong. HP is also on the Blu-ray disc Board of Directors but they ship HD DVD products. Apple has supported HD DVD for over a year with DVD Studio Pro 4 as they are also members of the DVD Forum and clearly state so.

You can buy a Xbox HD DVD player and run it on a Mac with the appropriate software. Blu-ray burners work as data drives with software. You won't be burning movies until Apple or someone else delivers a capable authoring app.
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

soon2bmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2007, 09:06 AM

Okay, so are you able to install them and have them work as drives in general and watch movies on them?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by hmurchison2001 View Post
Apple has supported HD DVD for over a year with DVD Studio Pro 4 as they are also members of the DVD Forum and clearly state so.
Yup.

You can buy a Xbox HD DVD player and run it on a Mac
Yes you can, as I've done it, but...

with the appropriate software.
What software?

Blu-ray burners work as data drives with software. You won't be burning movies until Apple or someone else delivers a capable authoring app.
True, but then again I don't think Toast supports HD DVD burning yet for even data (although I'm not 100% sure).

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by soon2bmac View Post
Okay, so are you able to install them and have them work as drives in general and watch movies on them?
Yes, you can instal them. Here's one MCE Blu-ray Internal Recordable Drive for Mac Pro, Power Mac

But you can only use it to store data. You can't store a movie on it yet, and no you can't watch movies from the Blu-ray drive as there is no software to watch Blu-ray movies with. Apple DVD player hasn't been updated to play Blu-ray or HD-DVD Movies. I'm sure VLC hasn't either.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Yes, you can instal them. Here's one MCE Blu-ray Internal Recordable Drive for Mac Pro, Power Mac

But you can only use it to store data. You can't store a movie on it yet, and no you can't watch movies from the Blu-ray drive as there is no software to watch Blu-ray movies with. Apple DVD player hasn't been updated to play Blu-ray or HD-DVD Movies. I'm sure VLC hasn't either.
Apple DVD Player.app can play HD DVD movies, but only a specific non-DRM'd subset of them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules