Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6500 Capacity

6500 Capacity
xmishx
Jul 18, 2002, 05:55 PM

All out there who have a machine like the 6500 or below... 225 MHz with 128 meg maximum for ram running OS 9.1? Just wondering how your machines are running? At the moment, these machines are running 8.6. They will be doing light duty Photoshop, and Pagemaker (maybe Quark) functions at the same time. I don't have a referance point as to how the machines will run as they have not been updated to the max 128 megs of ram, but will be in the near future. I guess I want to go 9.1 with these machines because of the thread about usb cards, which will be a necessity for compact flash card reader and usb zip drives.

Thanks,

X

tony.eastwood
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2002, 03:00 PM

If you upgrade to 9.1 then you should expect to allocate 30mb to the OS.
I have 9.1 installed on a few 7200's and they run okay... allowing for the fact they are only 75mHz... but we don't make them dance. We use Appleworks and some school data-base functions.

If the Photoshop work is light and you are not attempting to use a version newer than 5.5 then I suppose it is okay. You will have 90mb to share between PS and quark/pagemaker. Do you think that will be enough for what you intend to do? PS is greedy for RAM and Quark will benefit greatly from more than the minimum allocation.

Hope this is some help.

Regards

Tony

xmishx  (op)
Jul 19, 2002, 06:51 PM

Thanks Tony,

Looks like the 6500's will stay at 8.6. A friend found a usb card that works fine with 8.6 at Fry's and it is only $13. Usb and 8.6 compatability was my main concern. I will need to stretch that 128 max ram as far as I can.

X

Forum Links
Forum Rules