Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > downloading mac files to a pc

downloading mac files to a pc
halki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2003, 09:26 PM

hi
i am awaiting a new powerbook and i am downloading .sit , .dmg and .toast files to my pc. if i burn these files to cd will there be any problems when i install them on my mac.
thanks

kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 10:07 PM

No... there should be no problems. I have done that many times.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 20, 2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by halki:
hi
i am awaiting a new powerbook and i am downloading .sit , .dmg and .toast files to my pc. if i burn these files to cd will there be any problems when i install them on my mac.
thanks
No there would not be any problems doing that.

A quicker way might be to use a cross over cable. I think these new PowerBooks can do this with just an ordinary network cable (someone correct me if I am wrong). Then set up something like windows file sharing on your pc, connect the mac to it and leech away .

halki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2003, 10:39 PM

thanks

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:
No there would not be any problems doing that.

A quicker way might be to use a cross over cable. I think these new PowerBooks can do this with just an ordinary network cable (someone correct me if I am wrong). Then set up something like windows file sharing on your pc, connect the mac to it and leech away .
Is a crossover cable a special ethernet cable or will any one work?
Looking forward.

Alpha-sphere
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2003, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by dreamBweaver:
Is a crossover cable a special ethernet cable or will any one work?
To connect two computers without a hub you really need a crossover UTP cable. There's not really something special about it except that some wires are placed differently on one of the two ends.

The normal (commonly used) ethernet cables are called straight UTP cables.
Powered by a 15" alu powerbook superdrive

spam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Alpha-sphere:
To connect two computers without a hub you really need a crossover UTP cable. There's not really something special about it except that some wires are placed differently on one of the two ends.

The normal (commonly used) ethernet cables are called straight UTP cables.
But you don't need a crossover cable when one of the computers is a Mac laptop (not sure exactly which models). I have often used a standard ethernet cable to transfer files between my TiBook and my work PC.

spam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2003, 07:00 PM

Then set up something like windows file sharing on your pc, connect the mac to it and leech away.
If you're running OS X on the Mac, it's actually easier to enable "Windows File Sharing" on the Mac, connect to the Mac from the Windows PC, and "push" the files.

daniel999
Aug 23, 2003, 09:14 PM

I have connected my Windows PC and Mac, I can access my files in Windows from Mac, but how can I access files in Mac from Windows?

I am using Windows XP and Mac OSX

Thanks
Got a 12" Powerbook ^__^

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2003, 09:24 PM

All PBs since the TI have auto sensing ethernet.

Any cable works.... the PB is smarter than the Pc (HA Ha ....you do get something for the extra thousands!

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 12:52 AM

oh god let's make it easy.

Ok, first you turn on your mac... plug the ethernet cable into the pc and the mac..

now go to system preferences and the sharing control panel..

in there turn on FTP sharing. Then go to your network panel and choose ethernet so you can get your IP, either right it down or take note.

Now on the PC, turn it on, when windows starts open IE or my computer, and in the address bar type in FTP://IPGOESHERE

If the ethernet thing works well then a dialog will pop up saying user unknown.. no problem, go into the file menu and click "Login As"

It will pop up a username/password box where you type in your user/password that you use on your mac, when you hit OK the home directory on your mac will be visible, drag whatever files you want into there and they'll be sent over to the mac

This is probably one of the quickest and easiest ways to do it over ethernet.
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules