Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > To-Do List application?

To-Do List application?
badtz
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 05:01 AM

Does anyone know if there's any good to-do list applications?

Check Off was the best [simple interface, menubar application] ... but since it went open source [3.0b1 version] .... it totally bit the dust for me

any other comparble progs.? [or maybe an eminent Check Off update?]

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2004, 05:04 AM

ambush
Banned
Sep 16, 2004, 08:41 AM

I'm working on BM2... still.... grrrr I hate the fact that I have almost 0 time to work on it..... aRGH.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2004, 10:00 AM

OmniOutliner can be adapted to that purpose, and it's useful for a heck of a lot of other things. iCal also has a to-do list function; have you tried using that?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

nforcer
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 08:29 PM

Another vote for The Outliner (The = Omni)
Genius. You know who.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 10:07 PM

For a while I used ToDo X though I didn't like some parts of the app.

ToDo X http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10073
ToDo X Syncing http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15741

I mainly used it because the syncing to the iPod was nice but I have since used iCal and am very happy with it.

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 03:53 AM

Omnioutliner and iCal are both big window'ed programs that need to be opened to update your to-do's......

I'm looking more for something extremely simplistic like check-off was.

It was VERY easy to just click [dropdown application] in your menubar to start typing a 'to-do'

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
I'm working on BM2... still.... grrrr I hate the fact that I have almost 0 time to work on it..... aRGH.

any new updates on BM2?

Haven't used Check Off in awhile now because the 3.0beta1 bites! [if you have 2.4.2 stick with that]

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2004, 04:03 AM

If you have konfabulator, there's some simple to-do lists on it. I like the mini one myself, still easy enough to see on screen but not big enough to distract as a Sticky does. Can even color-code them low, normal or urgent.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by badtz:
Does anyone know if there's any good to-do list applications?

Check Off was the best [simple interface, menubar application] ... but since it went open source [3.0b1 version] .... it totally bit the dust for me

any other comparble progs.? [or maybe an eminent Check Off update?]

I actually think Circus Ponies Notebook is pretty useful for this, because you can put due dates in it (you can't in OO).

Actually where Notebook really shines is in it's super find -- because I take notes all over lots of different pages, and every time I have a "to do" or a "get to this later" I just add a checkbox, and a due date. Then I do a super-find and specify "unchecked items" and "due date in <range>" and it pops up a list of everything... color coded if it's not due yet, due today, or overdue. Pretty slick.

And it works best for to-dos for me simply because I don't have to separate my to-do lists from my daily notes... I just put it inline and make the application find my to-dos.

Only grouch is that I must manually do the find... for many other types of things it has auto-updating indexes (e.g. words, etc.). I'd like an index page called "to do list" which would automatically just show all my to-dos, rather than me having to pop up the super find dialog and click.

I've tried 4 or 5 apps for this purpose (iCal, Hog Bay, OmniOutliner, ToDoX, OD4Contact, CRM4Mac), and CP Notebook works the best for me, by far. If my "to do" list is separate from my daily work notes, I end up not wanting to transfer the "to dos" over (e.g. "do this for customer X, see other app!") and the data gets stale.

headbirth
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 12:51 PM

I second sticking with 2.4.2 of Checkoff. Works great.

I received this in reply to an email I sent Ricci Adams:

One of my friends (Justin Williams) has taken over development of Check Off. I believe he is planning on releasing a new version later this year.

radii_22
Oct 15, 2004, 03:55 PM

What we need is a better involvement of Apple in developping iCal a little bit more. I like iCal, its concept, its GUI, but the Todo managing is VERY POOR for an Apple made app. Common sense observation dictates that there is no way of entering dates of a graphical manner (i got to count in my mind "when" is a date before entering the data), there is no way of "tracking" the state of a task, and there is no integration between Events and To-do's, since one can imagine making drag-and-drop of a to-do to an event, or vice-versa. Also, printing iCal to-do's is completely mediocre, and it does not support to-do's visualizing when exporting to web sharing (as phpicalendar does).

I've been researching about the iCalendar format. In sum, it is a very easy to understand text format convention. It's very modular, in theory you can create a .ics consisting of only to-do items. You could also share to-do's since what you share is the .ics. If you analyse in detail the TODO specification, you can see that it exists a progress property that is not implemented in iCal. I believe that there are more properties which can be used to improve the functionality of the tasks managing in iCal. I guess that it would be incredibly easy to implement at least that property, and more requested features, since Apple is not inventing anything, it is only working with a standard format.

Hope to see a better iCal in the near future.
--->>> Karate is only for defense

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 08:54 PM

I'm actually hoping for a program that's SUPER simplistic like Check Off was.

A simple menubar application that can come down, and you're able to quickly add something to your list.

BM is close, but if I remember right, there was something on the current version I didn't like. (thus I'm hoping/waiting for verison 2.0 ]

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by badtz:
I'm actually hoping for a program that's SUPER simplistic like Check Off was.

A simple menubar application that can come down, and you're able to quickly add something to your list.

BM is close, but if I remember right, there was something on the current version I didn't like. (thus I'm hoping/waiting for verison 2.0 ]
Why not just use the version of Check Off you liked?

Forum Links
Forum Rules