Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Wow, just played the Homeworld 2 demo...

Wow, just played the Homeworld 2 demo...
michaelr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2004, 09:56 PM

(Long time lurker... first time poster...)

That game seems to be pretty awesome. Nice and smooth on my Power Mac G4 too. Who's tried the full version? How long is it?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2004, 10:14 PM

If you like the demo, you'll probably love the full version. I got it a week or two ago, but haven't gotten that far into it due to time constraints. I can play against the cpu at standard level, but any higher difficulty level and I get my ass kicked.

Anyway, it's a fun way to kill a spare hour or two here and there, and as you know from the demo, the graphics are amazing.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 12, 2004, 10:26 PM

I just downloaded the demo but haven't played much due to time constraints also...but it looks pretty solid so far.

If I'm pleased with the performance when there's lots of ships on screen, I might actually buy it.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2004, 11:14 PM

The game runs perfectly at 1024x768 on my 1.1GHz G3 Power Mac.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

redJag
Senior User
Oct 12, 2004, 11:54 PM

Hmm, a cool game, nice graphics. Not enough time to get into it right now, but maybe in a couple weeks I can play thru the demo and decide if its a good buy. One thing I noticed from my 5 minute demo: it changed my mouse speed to a much slower speed. Is this a setting in the game? I'll have to investigate.
Travis Sanderson

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 12:23 AM

i downloaded the demo of 2 but have not had time to test it out yet. i played the first one on pc years ago, if it is more of that, then it will be awesome.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 01:47 AM

Homeworld is a sweet space RTS. I loved the first one on my PC; playing it again on my Mac, no sound though but still looks as good as always.

Really good to see Aspyr releasing a demo and the game frankly. A true classic; we need more like this in the future (can you hear me?)
MacBook Pro

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 13, 2004, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by redJag:
Hmm, a cool game, nice graphics. Not enough time to get into it right now, but maybe in a couple weeks I can play thru the demo and decide if its a good buy. One thing I noticed from my 5 minute demo: it changed my mouse speed to a much slower speed. Is this a setting in the game? I'll have to investigate.
Yeah...that's something I noticed too...the mouse behavior and speed in-game was weird and then Homeworld 2 forgot to set the speed back to normal on quit.

michaelr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2004, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
If you like the demo, you'll probably love the full version. I got it a week or two ago, but haven't gotten that far into it due to time constraints. I can play against the cpu at standard level, but any higher difficulty level and I get my ass kicked.

Anyway, it's a fun way to kill a spare hour or two here and there, and as you know from the demo, the graphics are amazing.
Sweet. Now all I have to do is convince myself that it's okay to get a new game halfway through the semester.

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by michaelr:
Sweet. Now all I have to do is convince myself that it's okay to get a new game halfway through the semester.
Ditto. Grades or games? Grades or games? Hmmmmm.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 07:51 AM

Playable on an iMac G4 700!

Below spec, slows down a bit with lots of ships but great fun anyway.

Kind of game I have wanted long time.

Deicide
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2004, 04:55 PM

I have read that it has issues on 5200go 12" powerbook. The curser skips really bad. The camera is mostly smooth. Hopefully it will be fixed with an OS update.

Saramin
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Deicide:
I have read that it has issues on 5200go 12" powerbook. The curser skips really bad. The camera is mostly smooth. Hopefully it will be fixed with an OS update.
I have said machine and I can confirm that the game is nigh unplayable due to the driver issues. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

And the mouse issue isn't relegated strictly to nVidia machines.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2004, 02:07 AM

Rad game. As soon as my new card comes I will get this game. The space aspect is a nice change from other RTS games.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2004, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Saramin:
I have said machine and I can confirm that the game is nigh unplayable due to the driver issues. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.
Pretty darn annoying when they ship a game with a known bug with a graphics card that is not only in the new iMac but also in a lot of the 12" Powerbooks and G5s.
MacBook Pro

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Saramin:

And the mouse issue isn't relegated strictly to nVidia machines.
From the ReadMe:

KNOWN ISSUES

On some nVidia FX5200 video cards (including mobile chipsets) under Mac OS X 10.3.5, the game will run very slowly. This is a known nVidia driver issue and will be fixed by a future OS X update.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2004, 04:50 PM

Downloaded the demo and played a bit yesterday; very very cool game.

No time to sit down and learn all the keys so I wasn't playing as efficiently as could be expected, but the graphics were good (cranked down to low for settings that were turned off) and gameplay seemed smooth enough.

The added dimension of vertical height when playing really makes for an added level of difficulty as your fighters can swoop right by the enemy as they dive in for the attack.

Music and sound effects were especially good...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules