Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I didn't realise it would take this long!

I didn't realise it would take this long!
iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 23, 2004, 01:23 PM

Hello,

I'm about to return a loan powerbook to Apple, as my replacement one has finally arrived. So, to clear my info off the loan one, I hooked it up to the new one with FW target mode, and erased it with the secure 8-way random overwrite option. I started that 48 hours ago, and it's nearly half way through! I don't understand why, as I was transferring data between the two powerbooks at about 5-10Mb/sec beforehand, which seems a resonable speed as they are both 4k rpm drives, so not that fast, but at that speed, I should be able to write and rewrite the whole 60Gb 8 times in about a day.

Any suggestions - It's not a major problem, I'm just curious.

David

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2004, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by iMacfan:
Hello,

I'm about to return a loan powerbook to Apple, as my replacement one has finally arrived. So, to clear my info off the loan one, I hooked it up to the new one with FW target mode, and erased it with the secure 8-way random overwrite option. I started that 48 hours ago, and it's nearly half way through! I don't understand why, as I was transferring data between the two powerbooks at about 5-10Mb/sec beforehand, which seems a resonable speed as they are both 4k rpm drives, so not that fast, but at that speed, I should be able to write and rewrite the whole 60Gb 8 times in about a day.

Any suggestions - It's not a major problem, I'm just curious.

David
Overwrite is not the same as wiping. Maybe you should just copy all kinds of weird stuff on there so any new owner will never think about looking for valuable info

Detrius
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 09:00 PM

The 8-way is there so that the FBI and CIA can't recover your data. Zeroing the drive should be sufficient unless you are worried about your arch enemy getting his hands on your machine and spoiling your plot to take over the world. Of course, Brain, if that's your plan, you really should keep Pinky away from the laptop.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules