Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does anyone already have the new small PlayStation 2?

Does anyone already have the new small PlayStation 2?
Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2004, 06:10 PM

Comments?
How does it compare to the "old" PS2?

Keiretsu  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2004, 06:16 PM

BTW here's a picture:

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the pic. No ones ever seen it before.

Not.

I saw a dude carrying a box for a new one yesterday (i guess something was in it) so at least they have sold one (or one box)

pathogen
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 07:15 PM

My friend picked one up. It's really pretty small, as in smaller than a PB 12" .
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2004, 08:21 PM

if i didn't already have one i would get it, NIC included

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Keiretsu  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by pathogen:
My friend picked one up. It's really pretty small, as in smaller than a PB 12" .
According to the docs it takes up only 23% of the volume the "old" one had! Call that pretty small! It seems to be way too small to contain vent! That would make it utterly silent comapred to the "old" vacuum cleaner!

http://www.us.playstation.com/consoles.aspx?id=3 has all the info.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 07:37 AM

One of the sales-people in (the shop called) Game was holding one and wandering around when I went to pick-up GTA:SA yesterday, I had a look - very nice, very light and small.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 10:33 AM

How much do they run price wise? I would love to sell my ps2 and spend a few extra bucks for the smaller one

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 12:27 PM

So why did they make the 1st one that big and loud ?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 31, 2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Because at the time everything in it was the latest and greatest. That is like asking why the old laptops were large. Now as the video cards and boards have gotten smaller they can make the whole unit smaller.

At any rate, I got mine last night to replace my old PS2. It is so remarkably small I can't believe it. I don't think it has a fan and the only thing you can hear from it is the DVD spinning.

Even if it was just a stand alone DVD player I have never seen one that small on the market (other then portable ones).

I might get the vertical stand for it as it is top loading now and doesn't leave me much room on my stereo shelf.

"Hello, what have we here?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
Because at the time everything in it was the latest and greatest. That is like asking why the old laptops were large. Now as the video cards and boards have gotten smaller they can make the whole unit smaller.

At any rate, I got mine last night to replace my old PS2. It is so remarkably small I can't believe it. I don't think it has a fan and the only thing you can hear from it is the DVD spinning.

Even if it was just a stand alone DVD player I have never seen one that small on the market (other then portable ones).

I might get the vertical stand for it as it is top loading now and doesn't leave me much room on my stereo shelf.
pix plz

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 31, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
pix plz
What would you like to see exactly?

Anything other then what is pictured here?
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...age.id=1178701

"Hello, what have we here?

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2004, 04:07 PM

I picked mine up last week, decided it was finally time for a PS2. Then, I realised hoe much I liked the Wavebird on my GameCube, so I also picked up a Logitech wireless controller. One problem with this setup is that the wireless receiver isn't designed for the smaller size, so it lifts up the case a bit. I got around that by hanging it off the lip of my ReplayTV that it sits on top of.

I now own all the current generation consoles after 4 years. Dreamcast - GameCube - XBox - PS2 in that order.

Oh, they did cheet a bit. The old PS2 has the power supply inside it, the new one has a brick much like the GameCube.
<This space under renovation>

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
So you could fit an HD & power supply in there.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:

Oh, they did cheet a bit. The old PS2 has the power supply inside it, the new one has a brick much like the GameCube.
I like it much better this way.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 05:03 PM

I have seen the new one in a store two days ago. It's really small, but I don't like the top loading drive. So I'm content with my old one.

RonnieoftheRose
Oct 31, 2004, 05:11 PM

I prefer the old one. It looks like the black box Deckard has strapped to his TV in Blade Runner. I don't play it much, only old retro games I grew up with like Defender, Gauntlet and Paperboy. Why are they harder to play at over 30 than when I was teen? My brain cells must be dying. They also require more concentration than the modern 3D shooters I gave up on over a year ago.

fhoubi
Senior User
Oct 31, 2004, 05:26 PM

I might get the vertical stand for it as it is top loading now and doesn't leave me much room on my stereo shelf. [/B]
Just wondering, how convenient is it to use a toploader on its side?
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 05:32 PM

I don't think the old one was that big! I have one and that's never been a problem. The new one looks like it has some serious anorexia.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by fhoubi:
Just wondering, how convenient is it to use a toploader on its side?
It doesn't come with the stand but I can imaging not very well. The unit is soooo small and light just pushing the power or eject button has is slide back on me.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Keiretsu  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
I have seen the new one in a store two days ago. It's really small, but I don't like the top loading drive. So I'm content with my old one.
I think the top loading drive is a small "penalty" to pay for complete silence! Apparently the only thing you hear is the DVD drive running!

Keiretsu  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 05:49 PM

This image shows a fan! Anyone heard it while using the PS2 two?

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Keiretsu:
This image shows a fan! Anyone heard it while using the PS2 two?
Well in that case you can't hear it at all. If I had my PS2 on and went to bed I could hear it 10 feet away. The PSTwo I left on last night and didn't even know.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Keiretsu:
I think the top loading drive is a small "penalty" to pay for complete silence! Apparently the only thing you hear is the DVD drive running!
My regular PS2 (bought about two months ago) is completely silent! Whatever fan is inside of this thing is pretty amazing. They are in fact absolutely unhearable. Apple should build those into their computers.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 07:19 PM

My regular PS2 (bought about two months ago) is completely silent! Whatever fan is inside of this thing is pretty amazing. They are in fact absolutely unhearable. Apple should build those into their computers.
That is because about 6 months ago they came out with a revb PS2, with a more silent fan and progressive scan DVD player.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 07:31 PM

I would never get one.
I mainly use my PS2 for FFXI.
No expansion bay in PSTwo

booo

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 02:13 AM

So it seems in the setup screen there are options for faster disk loading and texture mapping? Was this in the old PS2 and for PS1 games or is this new to the PStwo?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 02:30 AM

It's been there from the beginning. (Only works for PlayStation games, not PS2 games, by the way.)

Anyway, beyond the lack of hard disk support (which should affect about six people worldwide), the only other issue is for people who own wireless controllers. The new PS2 is so low to the ground that RF receivers (at least the ones for Logitech's Cordless Action Controller and Hori's Wireless Anashin 2) make it unlevel.

That and the fact that it won't work with the old PS2 multitap. (There is a new one on the way.)
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
The new PS2 is so low to the ground that RF receivers (at least the ones for Logitech's Cordless Action Controller and Hori's Wireless Anashin 2) make it unlevel.
Well you could get the vertical stand and solve that problem.

They are still selling the PS2 for those 6 folks that want the hard drive.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 03:21 AM

Nice, could almost justify getting it as a DVD player if I didn't have one already...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
That is because about 6 months ago they came out with a revb PS2, with a more silent fan and progressive scan DVD player.
Sorry to be a Sematics Nazi - but you can't have a "more silent" fan - you can have a quieter fan.

Qualified Absolutes are a little pet peeve of mine: e.g. more/very/almost Unique.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Sorry to be a Sematics Nazi - but you can't have a "more silent" fan - you can have a quieter fan.

Qualified Absolutes are a little pet peeve of mine: e.g. more/very/almost Unique.

Good point! Well, I'm off to go unthaw some food now!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 08:05 AM

I can still hear the fan in my "rev b" PS2. It's not loud, but when playing a game with the volume at an average level, I can hear it blasting away. Doesn't bother me, as after awhile you don't even really notice it much anymore, anyways.

I really want a new PS Two . I always found the old one bulky and huge. I can imagine people who own that online FF being a little ticked off, but it's a small price to pay in order to get a new PS2 for this size. Overall, this was a great move by Sony and I'm really pleased with the way the new slimmed down PS2 turned out.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:

I really want a new PS Two . I always found the old one bulky and huge. I can imagine people who own that online FF being a little ticked off, but it's a small price to pay in order to get a new PS2 for this size. Overall, this was a great move by Sony and I'm really pleased with the way the new slimmed down PS2 turned out.

Noah
Having the network adapter built in also saves sooo much space.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 07:47 PM

Anyway, beyond the lack of hard disk support (which should affect about six people worldwide), the only other issue is for people who own wireless controllers. The new PS2 is so low to the ground that RF receivers (at least the ones for Logitech's Cordless Action Controller and Hori's Wireless Anashin 2) make it unlevel.

That and the fact that it won't work with the old PS2 multitap. (There is a new one on the way.)
Thought it had built in IR? (like the newer PS2's)
New one doesn't interest me, my current one fits on a shelf UNDER my VCR, UNDER my TV. That cheap flip top drive would mean it would have to go on the floor or balanced on the top of the TV.
I guess the relegates the HD to the list of 'unsuccessful console extras, with the CD 32 upgrade for the Saga Saturn etc.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2004, 07:54 PM

What would you like to see exactly?

Anything other then what is pictured here?
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...age.id=1178701
Of it in a real world setting rather than all the shots of it by itself. Lets see it in action!

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 07:56 PM

Yeah, it has built-in IR, but that won't help you use RF controllers.

I've noticed that Logitech's Cordless Action Controller (called Cordless Compact Controller if you live in Japan or East Asia) has become scarce and even completely unavailable at some retailers. I wonder if Logitech recalled it for this very reason.

ringo
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 08:01 PM

The HD is much more useful when used to backup entire games, which can then be played without a CD and with little to no loading times. There are apps that support this, but Sony would probably rather HD use not become widespread due to fears of piracy.

I like the smaller size, but I couldn't see buying a second PS2 with less functionality just to get a smaller console. Mine is out of sight anyway.

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 10:11 PM

Sorry to be a Spelling Nazi, but I think you mean 'semantics'.

You're right though.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Of it in a real world setting rather than all the shots of it by itself. Lets see it in action!
Well I haven't quite figured out what I want to do with it yet, if I should leave it sitting on top of my amp which makes it hard to load, put it next to the TV vertical or flat. Here are some pics, not in action but you get the idea.
(I didn't want to put it next to the Xbox as I was afraid the Xbox might eat it)

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 02:45 AM

Hey, there have been several mentions of a HD. Is this standard for a PS2? Why have a HD on a console with memory cards? How do I access it etc?

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by siMac:
Sorry to be a Spelling Nazi, but I think you mean 'semantics'.
D'Oh - hoist by my own petard.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by MacmanX:
Hey, there have been several mentions of a HD. Is this standard for a PS2? Why have a HD on a console with memory cards? How do I access it etc?
No, it was never standard. Sony brought out a PS2 hard disk drive because Microsoft included one standard in the Xbox.

It came out in Japan a few years ago and a small number of games either require it or use it for downloadable expansion packs, but the vast majority of games that support it (and they are few) use it strictly to decrease loading times (and most of them had minimal loading times without the hard disk).

In North America, Sony Computer Entertainment delayed the hard disk drive multiple times before finally releasing it late last year. Since Final Fantasy XI Online was the only game scheduled for release on these shores that required the hard disk, Sony and Square Enix wisely decided to sell the two products together.

At a suggested retail price of $99.99 (U.S.).

The only other PS2 game sold in North America that supports the hard disk is SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs. It uses it for optional, downloadable missions.

Well, that and the Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia expansion pack.

So, yeah, hard disks on game consoles are a bust. The PS2 hard disk drive was dead on arrival. Sony says it's looking into "alternative" storage methods for the PS2 and PS3 and Microsoft is strongly hinting that the Xbox Next won't include a hard disk drive either.

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 10:53 AM

D'Oh - hoist by my own petard.
Heh heh, indeed.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 11:17 AM

The HD was never even released here in Europe.

Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 01:42 PM

So, yeah, hard disks on game consoles are a bust. The PS2 hard disk drive was dead on arrival. Sony says it's looking into "alternative" storage methods for the PS2 and PS3 and Microsoft is strongly hinting that the Xbox Next won't include a hard disk drive either.
I really hope they do have a hard drive or something that has at least 512 megs of storage for scratch and downloadable content. Even if it is just a built in memory card.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 02:00 PM

I really hope that they allow loading/saving to network volumes (FTP perhaps) - but I doubt it given Sony's aversion to anything not DRM'ed-up.

Even if they do - they'd probably make it so that you have to use special Windows software.

ringo
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by MacmanX:
Not standard, others have already addressed the HD as used with certain Sony games. The mod community quickly figured out that a variety of hard drives could be made to work, 80GB to 120GB models are frequently used for backing up games. Google for HDLoader or HDAdvance to learn more about the type of software that allows for a game to be backed up and played from the HD. Sony intended for it to be used for downloadable content, but it's capable of much more than just that.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I really hope they do have a hard drive or something that has at least 512 megs of storage for scratch and downloadable content. Even if it is just a built in memory card.
in japan theres this accesory for the gamecube called the sd memory card adapter it allows sd memory cards(which can hold up to 512 megs and are the size of a postage stamp and as thick as a credit card)to be used on a gamecube. This equals around 16200 blocks of memory.

Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
in japan theres this accesory for the gamecube called the sd memory card adapter it allows sd memory cards(which can hold up to 512 megs and are the size of a postage stamp and as thick as a credit card)to be used on a gamecube. This equals around 16200 blocks of memory.
Christ my gamecube isn't even smart enough to figure out if I have a saved game on card one or two. I can't see this working too well.

Wonder why it never shipped here like Nintendo said it would.

Forum Links
Forum Rules