Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > USB Wireless Adapter

USB Wireless Adapter
Big Tom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 05:40 AM

Can anyone reccommend a good USB Wi-Fi adapter (b or g) that will work with my MacBook and OS X? I recently brought the D Link DWL-122 but I couldn't get my laptop to see the device (Driver appeared to install correctly). What is the easiet way of checking for a device on the machine and that it's functioning correctly? I'm used to Windows machines with device manager but I'm a little lost with my new mac.

many thanks

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 7, 2006, 08:20 AM

You don't want a USB adapter. You want an AirPort card. It's native to the Mac, it's guaranteed to work, and it's what the machine is built to use. And it's already in your computer. So what's the issue here?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Tom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 09:45 AM

Yes I do. That's why I asked!

I need a Prism2 USB adapted to work with a specific program that doesn't support the AirPort card. Obviously, I'm aware that the MacBook is shipped with full wireless capabilities!

So, has anyone seen or used such a device with OS X?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2006, 08:21 PM

Prism2 chips are typically in PC-aimed wireless devices. Linksys uses 'em, as does Netgear and others. I'm very curious what Mac software would be interested in using anything other than AirPort. Or are you using Windows on this MacBook?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Tom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 04:51 AM

I'm not using windows but I think the software was originally designed for use on XP/2000.

I think I'm going to try the Netgear MA111 - Looks like it should be able to do what I need.

Thanks.

MacBook91
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 01:49 PM

http://www.macwireless.com/html/prod...rds/11bUSB.php

check out this one
i have it and its pretty cool

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2006, 08:25 AM

I was actually looking for a wireless USB adapter for Mac because it would be easier to use with Macs I may acquire in the future. Alas, all of the major players, LinkSys, D-Link, NetGear do not offfer any Mac-compatible products. Be careful what sources like MacMall, etc. say; they list some of the products as Mac compatible but some companies are quite clear you need Windows because you'll need to install their drivers.

But that says no OS X support.
To be determined later.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Aug 31, 2006, 12:56 AM

I believe my dad uses this usb wireless device for borh pc and macs. Cool too cause you get a hotspot finder built in. I hope that's the right model but they do have one that works for both...
- Eric

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 02:24 PM

THIS ONE works fine in OS X

MacWireless 11g USB Stick

I don't think it is prism2 though... :*(

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 06:30 PM

Whatever you end up getting, make sure to turn off your Airport card before using it. Don't use both at the same time, as you can damage things.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big Tom
I need a Prism2 USB adapted to work with a specific program that doesn't support the AirPort card.
The only programs that it would matter to would be WiFi sniffers...

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by IFLY2HIGH
I believe my dad uses this usb wireless device for borh pc and macs. Cool too cause you get a hotspot finder built in. I hope that's the right model but they do have one that works for both...
no sign of Mac drivers, in fact the drivers link returns nothing.

-gfitzy

silivestru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Big Tom
Can anyone reccommend a good USB Wi-Fi adapter (b or g) that will work with my MacBook and OS X? I recently brought the D Link DWL-122 but I couldn't get my laptop to see the device (Driver appeared to install correctly). What is the easiet way of checking for a device on the machine and that it's functioning correctly? I'm used to Windows machines with device manager but I'm a little lost with my new mac.

many thanks
Big Tom, try using the ralink drivers with the D-Link. They should work on some occasions. If not try using Belkin F5D7050 (with Ralink drivers) or Zonet ZEW2501. You could find them for around $15.

Forum Links
Forum Rules