Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad: Justifiable Reasons to Purchase one

iPad: Justifiable Reasons to Purchase one (Page 2)
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
RTS heaven, anyone?
QFT

R.U.S.E., anyone?
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Not precise, and no pressure sensativity= fail. Also, photoshop would be hell without keyboard shortcuts.
The pressure sensitivity in the pen, so they could do this with a bluetooth pen.
Shortcuts could be done with gestures.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 08:33 AM

Games.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
The pressure sensitivity in the pen, so they could do this with a bluetooth pen.
Shortcuts could be done with gestures.
It seems like theres an answer for everything. I should have included some sort of poll along with this thread.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post

Happy now?
You want to try using a keyboard docked like that on your lap? That's fine for tabletop or desktop use, but not for portable use.

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Not precise, and no pressure sensitivity= fail. Also, photoshop would be hell without keyboard shortcuts.
You can't really say right now how precise it would be with a fine-tipped stylus that works with the screen. At any rate, I'm not saying it'd be a great device for hours of Photoshop work, but it'd be pretty neat to, say, take to a customer meeting where you can show them different changes to your project on-the-fly.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
According to Gizmodo, the SIM won't be the problem running it on T-Mobile, at least if you want 3G.

Unlocked or Not, Your iPad Won't Be Able to Use T-Mobile's 3G Network - apple ipad - Gizmodo
Well now, wasn't THAT sneaky of them...

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
You want to try using a keyboard docked like that on your lap? That's fine for tabletop or desktop use, but not for portable use.
Desktop keyboard top left, portable keyboard bottom right .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

OreoCookie
Jan 28, 2010, 08:56 AM

@shif
As far as I understand, you can use a Bluetooth keyboard with it. This would be really neat, coz then there may be text editors for it rather sooner than later
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 09:26 AM

@OreoCookie and shifuimam,
On the iPad design page it says:

iPad also comes with Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, letting you connect to devices like wireless headphones or the Apple Wireless Keyboard.

OreoCookie
Jan 28, 2010, 10:26 AM

Life is good. Now all I need is a decent text editor for that thing and I'll yank out my credit card
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 10:38 AM

Well i've had a whole working day to absorb the information.

At first i thought:
-limited/restricted iPhoneOS
-no ports
-no webcam
-no full-fledged OS

And then i reflected on what i actually use my macbook when i take it around with me..... web, email, music, movies....media-consumption mostly.

I think this product will probably do to netbook/tablet/eReaders what iPod did to MP3 players, and iPhone did to smart phones.

Less is more, especially when you look at the interface. they didnt cram a full OSX desktop onto this small device, they upscalled the iPhoneOS(which has all the potential of OSX anyway) for the device. the sense of space and scale are exactly what every other netbook/tablet has been missing, and what probably made them feel out-of-place with no purpose or just plain intimidating.

One of the hardest decisions in any engineering firm is not what to put into a product, but what NOT TO put in. And this is a perfect example where Apple made the right decision.

In the end, it's an appliance with a CPU, memory, Wi-Fi and USB connectivity. I'm sure the software will expand to accommodate end-user concerns.

One of mine being no visible file-store on the device accessible via the connected computer and apps. (im thinking a "Home" folder where you cna store documents, images if necessary, movies, etc... to open/share/edit files or even a place to download online content to and then copy over to your main computer). Once this issue is addressed, i will fork over my credit card.

On a more holistic view of this device.....i will sell my MacBook, and pick up an iMac and iPad...when the iMacs get Blu-Ray drives and the iPad gets what i've mentioned above.

I want one.

Cheers

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
One of mine being no visible file-store on the device accessible via the connected computer and apps. (im thinking a "Home" folder where you cna store documents, images if necessary, movies, etc... to open/share/edit files or even a place to download online content to and then copy over to your main computer). Once this issue is addressed, i will fork over my credit card.
How awesome would be full support fo Dropbox, incl. direct access from the iPad apps ?

-t

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Desktop keyboard top left, portable keyboard bottom right .
I think it's still a problem of having the display and the keyboard on the same plane. It's not particularly ergonomic. It's probably fine for something like shooting off a quick email, but I wouldn't want to try to do any serious typing on it.

Now, what would be nice is a case of some kind that has a keyboard and puts the display vertically, like a laptop (or something like the old HP TabletPC models that completely detatched from the keyboard).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I think it's still a problem of having the display and the keyboard on the same plane. It's not particularly ergonomic. It's probably fine for something like shooting off a quick email, but I wouldn't want to try to do any serious typing on it.
Yes, the device you're looking for is a MBP/MBA.

MBP/MBA is the right tool for mobile content creation.

The iPad is mainly for content consumption.

-t

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
How awesome would be full support fo Dropbox, incl. direct access from the iPad apps ?

-t
Thats what i'm trying to avoid. i dont want a 'cloud'-based solution. it's slow(er), not always available, and could be a privacy risk imo(i use MobileMe despite all that). We've got GBs of memory on the device itself, there should be a way to make a user editable folder that's accessible to iPhone/iPad apps and visible to the computer that the device has been plugged into.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 11:45 AM

…no visible file-store on the device accessible via the connected computer and apps. (im thinking a "Home" folder where you cna store documents, images if necessary, movies, etc... to open/share/edit files or even a place to download online content to and then copy over to your main computer). Once this issue is addressed, i will fork over my credit card.
iPad SDK 3.2 Details: External Display, File Sharing System, No Multitasking - Mac Rumors

Are you on the “Notify Me” list yet?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 11:52 AM

"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I need something to take with me to the can, and this is better than my laptops and/or my Kindle.

I also need something small and basic for email and browsing while on vacation, and this is better than my laptops and/or my Kindle and/or iPhone.

I like having something small and compact for email and web browsing while watching TV, and this is better than my laptops and/or my Kindle and/or iPhone.

Winner (with minor modifications). Exactly why I plan on getting one.

Also, imagine LogMeIn modified for the iPad? I can access everything on my iMac while on the go. Sweeeeeet.

QuickOffice modified for the iPad? Sweeeeet.

Seriously, this announcement is the reason why I didn't buy a netbook.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Best comment from that page:

Alright, I've figured out what the iPad actually is. Its the child of an iPod Touch and a digital picture frame

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Yes, emphasis on SOME:

Big, Ugly Bezel
Not that big of a problem. Yes, it could be smaller, but give me a break.
Did Gizmodo ever complain about the fugliness of netbooks ?

No Multitasking
Will come with OS 4.0. Not a big deal that it's missing right now. You'll have it in summer 2010.

No Cameras
Yes, a front-facing camera for iChat would be great.
Don't need a back-facing camera. Useless junk.

Touch Keyboard
WTF ? Want a real keyboard ? Then get a laptop.
Are they really complaining about a lack of keyboard on a tablet ?

No HDMI Out
Would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

The Name iPad
WTF ? You can name yours whatever you want. Petty argument.

No Flash
THANK GOD !
You flash wanting folk should really go to...

Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
Yes, UBS would be nice. But again, for most people not a deal breaker

It's Not Widescreen
I'm torn on this. Don't know to what extent rhis is tied to iPhone OS screen ratio and / o r other considerations.

Doesn't Support T-Mobile 3G
Who f*cking cares

A Closed App Ecosystem
Again, WTF ? Get a your Windows netbook and be happy.

-t

ehunt
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2010, 12:14 PM

Well i've had a whole working day to absorb the information.

On a more holistic view of this device.....i will sell my MacBook, and pick up an iMac and iPad...when the iMacs get Blu-Ray drives and the iPad gets what i've mentioned above.

I want one.

Cheers
Hawkeye, we must be brothers from another mother as your comments are dead on with my initial concerns as well. But you have made a killer point above as my MBPro is on it's last legs and the idea of a home CPU (finally after years of laptops only) and then the iPad for my travel etc... is an exciting proposition. Will be interesting to see what apps and capabilities the iPad has for editing docs (I love iWork), and if it does have a file saving directory of some kind I am totally in.
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

NYK Ace
Senior User
Jan 28, 2010, 12:36 PM

i agree with what some people are saying on here. i am in need of a new computer and have been pricing out a new MacBook Pro for a few months (waiting for i5/i7)... but i am now thinking of skipping a new laptop all together and getting an iMac and iPad combo which should fit all my needs.

dzp111
Senior User
Jan 28, 2010, 01:04 PM

Until I can video/chat (Skype) with the tablet I won't be getting one. No camera in the front was my only (but big) let down. I suppose that having Skype on and a camera on means multi-tasking?

I was so looking forward to seeing my wife Skype with her kids from the comforts of our sofa. Oh well..

Hopefully next version(s) will figure it out.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 28, 2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I wonder how much those are going to cost. My guess is $100 for te keyboard and at least $50 for the case.
$70 for the keyboard dock and $40 for the case.
More Photos of iPad Accessories (With Prices!) - apple ipad - Gizmodo
Nemo me impune lacesset

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
$70 for the keyboard dock and $40 for the case.
More Photos of iPad Accessories (With Prices!) - apple ipad - Gizmodo
I'm a little curious as to whether that keyboard will have more functionality than the $79 wireless.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 01:32 PM

What's the argument about it being widescreen? It's not like your movies are going to fit on the screen anyway since their aspect ratios aren't even the same.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2010, 01:34 PM

Huh?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 01:52 PM

I guess 1.85:1 movies just aren't good enough on 1.78:1 screens.

Seriously though, for a small laptop, my favourite form factor so far is the 4:3 12" iBook/PowerBook. It looks like Apple liked it too, and went with the 1024x768 rez for the iPad.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 02:05 PM

I wonder if that keyboard will work with an iPhone.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2010, 02:09 PM

I imagine they'll be able to hack it to...but legit? Anyone's guess.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I wonder if that keyboard will work with an iPhone.
Yes, with OS 4.0

Current OS 3.2 for the iPad will not run on the iPhone, therefore, iPad hardware is not supported.

-t

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 02:27 PM

I think one of things that people are "disappointed" in is that the iPad can't do things that a full laptop/netbook can. However, we need to remember that these things are not what it is intended to do. This is NOT meant to be a productive laptop replacement. If you need to write a novel or use Photoshop, this is not for you and was never meant to be.

The iPad is targeted for people who want a simple portable "computer" for media consumption, web browsing, email, games, etc. In this regard, the iPad has EVERYTHING it needs to perform these functions.

iTunes for music and video? Check

Safari for web browsing? Check

Mail for email? Check

iBooks for books? Check

Apps for magazines and newspapers? Check

Full access to the iPhone app store for games, apps, etc.? Check

Potential for developers to make iPad specific apps? Check

The lack of an iSight camera is a bit disappointing, but I can almost guarantee it will be added in iPad v. 2.

Just as an iPhone is not for everyone, neither is the iPad.

As Railhead said, this a perfect device for replacing that laptop you casually use around the house or when traveling.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:28 PM

For those saying it's a good granny computer, that seems odd to me. It seems that n00bs use the internet for surfing and lame videos. Without Flash, it's useless for the latter, and crippled for the former.

Maybe that won't be true in 2012, but today is not 2012.

Considering Flash can run fine on some slower computers, the no-Flash decision by Apple is purely a business decision, not because they feel that Flash is too slow on their slow hardware, but because they want to do everything they can to topple Adobe's dominance. Jobs is quite pissed off that it only took a few years for Adobe to almost completely eliminate embedded QuickTime, and he's willing to sacrifice functionality of his company's own products to try to break Adobe's hold on the market. Unfortunately, so far it's not working. It might eventually, but Flash is as strong as ever in 2010.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2010, 02:29 PM

It's a third the weight of the MacBook I drag along to work everyday. Big plus there.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's a third the weight of the MacBook I drag along to work everyday. Big plus there.
Why do you drag a MacBook to work every day?

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 02:37 PM

At least with a "real" netbook, you can run an IRC client, an IM client *and* browse the web at the same time. Assuming this thing runs iPhone OS 3 at launch, you will need to start up AIM and look at the screen, hoping, praying that someone messages you -- because if you leave the app, you also logoff AIM's network.

The only use for this device is if you were considering a Kindle, and you wanted to get something that offers more at the cost of battery life.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It seems that n00bs use the internet for surfing and lame videos. Without Flash, it's useless for the latter, and crippled for the former.
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!1one

Maybe Apple didn't have n00bs in mind when they designed the iPad.

Other than that, HTML5 and h.264 will have Flash's ass.

-t

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 02:43 PM

"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:45 PM

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!1one

Maybe Apple didn't have n00bs in mind when they designed the iPad.

Other than that, HTML5 and h.264 will have Flash's ass.
Will? Maybe in 5 years.

Has "Flash's ass" now? Most definitely not. H.264 has been around for how long now? And HTML5 isn't even a standard yet.

Like I've suggested before, the iPad of the future might be a great thing. However, the iPad of today is extremely crippled for n00b use. It would be pretty stupid to recommend an iPad in February 2010 based on that "HTML5 and h.264 will have Flash's ass" argument.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2010, 02:46 PM

Why do you drag a MacBook to work every day?
I really confound you, don't I?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:47 PM

Like I've suggested before, the iPad of the future might be a great thing. However, the iPad of today is extremely crippled for n00b use. It would be pretty stupid to recommend an iPad in February 2010 based on that "HTML5 and h.264 will have Flash's ass" argument.
All things considered, I'd still not say that a cheap netbook is the better choice for a n00b.

God help us all if we have to teach grandma/n00b how to troubleshoot Windows

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:49 PM

I really confound you, don't I?
Yes. Will you answer my question already?!?

I personally don't carry my Mac laptop to work every day because I use the existing computers there. I certainly wouldn't carry an iPad to work because it offers me nothing tangible over my iPhone and the other computers.

Where I could use an iPad is at home, but I already have the laptop anyway at home. On the road, the iPad is as crippled as the iPhone, as I still can't access Flash-based vacation sites or whatever, so there's no point in taking it on vacation with me either. Either I just use the iPhone and the hotel computers, or I take my laptop.

All things considered, I'd still not say that a cheap netbook is the better choice for a n00b.
I would, hands down. Not even in the same league.

Telling them to use an iPad for all their internet needs is like telling them to use an iPod touch for all of their internet needs.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:52 PM

I would, hands down. Not even in the same league.

Telling them to use an iPad for all their internet needs is like telling them to use an iPod touch for all of their internet needs.
Right.

The iPad can't even do viruses, malware, root kits etc. WTF ? It's crippled

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2010, 02:54 PM

Yes. Will you answer my question already?!?

I personally don't carry my Mac laptop to work every day because I use the existing computers there. I certainly wouldn't carry an iPad to work because it offers me nothing tangible over my iPhone and the other computers.
I don't have an iPhone, Eug.

You've been polite and all, but it's time to accept our opinions, preferences, and needs are too different.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:56 PM

I don't have an iPhone, Eug.

You've been polite and all, but it's time to accept our opinions, preferences, and needs are too different.
Needs are different, but what are they? iCal and Contacts only? If so without an iPhone then maybe it makes sense to get an iPad. However, if you're working in Office every day, then the iPad won't work. Etc.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 02:58 PM

The more I read this thread the more teeter-tottering I am on if I want one or not. Right now, I'm on the 2nd generation train. But then again I know that playing the Apple waiting game is usually not the best idea... the next generation will add one thing but not another.. I just don't know.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 03:04 PM

However, if you're working in Office every day, then the iPad won't work. Etc.
Are you on crack ?

If you work in an office every day, a netbook is not an option neither.

Nobody here defended the iPad as a productivity tool.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 03:09 PM

Are you on crack ?

If you work in an office every day, a netbook is not an option neither.

Nobody here defended the iPad as a productivity tool.
I think you're not even properly reading my posts. I asked him WHY and just gave him an example. And I didn't even say "working in an office". I said work in Office.

That said, Apple thinks it's a productivity tool, as they're pushing iWork on the iPad, and even have a VGA dongle for it for presentations.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 03:10 PM

I'm gonna buy one for my car. Seriously.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I'm gonna buy one for my car. Seriously.
Overpriced tablet for an overpriced car!!1111 You are a dumb poopyface [/cash]

Forum Links
Forum Rules