Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 139)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Dude, that's exactly what I said in my first point

-t
Actually you said that people were voting on "OWNERSHIP" (your caps), which is quite obviously not the case.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 04:56 PM

So what's this new argument about?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 04:57 PM

Doesn't matter - you're wrong and your opinion is baseless.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2008, 05:07 PM

Or, it reflects the people who got a PS3 for Xmas.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Actually you said that people were voting on "OWNERSHIP" (your caps), which is quite obviously not the case.
That was my SECOND point. Aaargh.

-t

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 05:24 PM

That was my SECOND point. Aaargh.

-t
Whatever. The point is that this poll went to hell about a month ago, and was probably never very accurate in the first place. Some of the more vocal supporters in here probably even voted more than once. Trying to extrapolate any kind of point from it is, well, pointless.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2008, 05:26 PM

To answer the OPs question, Blu-ray is winning.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 05:27 PM

Actually what I think happened is people who at first weren't interested in this poll was drawn to it by the media attention around Xmas and because of the way the wind was swinging towards BR with warner they took the time to vote for BR so they would be right.

Either way, who cares.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 17, 2008, 05:30 PM

I just bought a Toshiba HD-A2 player for the one box set I have that is in HD-DVD. It was on sale at Circuit City for $85 (an open-box display model). Now at least I don't have to worry that I won't be able to view the HD content on my rather expensive box set purchase.

This sucks-the whole market process of people putting their dollars down to vote for which format they prefer has been blown away by a few studios-or more likely execs at those studios who are now "inexplicably richer." Pushing the market decision process this fast is not good for technology or the consumer.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Actually what I think happened is people who at first weren't interested in this poll was drawn to it by the media attention around Xmas and because of the way the wind was swinging towards BR with warner they took the time to vote for BR so they would be right.

Either way, who cares.
Exactly.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
To answer the OPs question, Blu-ray is winning.
Oh, thank you. We have been trying to figure that out for the past 138 pages.

Thanks for enlightening us

-t

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2008, 05:48 PM

Re the discussion that was had on how long it takes for the AppleTV to start a movie...

Movie rentals also work pretty much as demonstrated, though we were surprised to see movies were ready to begin watching after just 2 percent had been downloaded.
First Look: Thumbs up for Apple TV Take 2

That's what... 5 minutes... 10 at most?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 05:50 PM

here we go again...

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2008, 05:57 PM

one request. No more links on articles that the HD DVD plug is going to be pulled unless it an official release from Toshiba
45/47

turtle777
Clinically Insane

here we go again...
What did you expect ?

That after more than 3,450 posts on 138 pages, there would be still something NEW to say ?

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
one request. No more links on articles that the HD DVD plug is going to be pulled unless it an official release from Toshiba
What if they never admit defeat ?

-t

climber
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2008, 06:20 PM

So in other words you are tired of all the bad news for HD-DVD? The thread would be empty if we only posted the good news for that format. Look at it this way, Bad news for HD-DVD is good news for Blu.
climber

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 06:22 PM

Just picked up a Toshiba A20 from NewEgg for $99.99 and several HD-DVDs for $12.20 each (free shipping) from Deepdiscount.com. WooT! Plus, can still get the 5 free HD-DVDs from Toshiba until the end of the month. Gotta love the fire sales....

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 07:05 PM

What did you expect ?

That after more than 3,450 posts on 138 pages, there would be still something NEW to say ?

-t
Have we talked about which format had prettier boxes yet?

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 17, 2008, 07:43 PM

Have we talked about which format had prettier boxes yet?
Blue boxes > red boxes.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Blue boxes > red boxes.
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!
(fingers in ears)
LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Just picked up a Toshiba A20 from NewEgg for $99.99 and several HD-DVDs for $12.20 each (free shipping) from Deepdiscount.com. WooT! Plus, can still get the 5 free HD-DVDs from Toshiba until the end of the month. Gotta love the fire sales....
Sweet deal. Good entertainment value.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
So in other words you are tired of all the bad news for HD-DVD? The thread would be empty if we only posted the good news for that format. Look at it this way, Bad news for HD-DVD is good news for Blu.
I think he means we don't need to hear the same story posted 50 times without any official confirmation. I believe it's happening, but I'd really like to see something official and not the same source linked from 20 different blogs.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2008, 09:16 PM

Yeah, I picked one up from NewEgg yesterday as well. Gonna put my A3 back in the box and use the A20 as my primary player.

The DeepDiscount sale is great but I've already grabbed so many titles from Amazon in the past month that I can't justify spending anymore at the moment.

If you're on a roll, feel free to check out Amazon's Buy 2 Get 1 free promo. Should still be going on for a little while longer, and the prices would actually work out to be less than you could get through DeepDiscont.

Amazon.com: HD DVDs 3-for-2

Be sure to go through all the categories and each page. There are many, many titles.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 09:16 PM

I was looking forward to the "Godfather, Star Trek, and Indiana Jones" HD DVDs
I'm looking forward to Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica on Blu-ray!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I just bought a Toshiba HD-A2 player for the one box set I have that is in HD-DVD..... This sucks-the whole market process of people putting their dollars down to vote for which format they prefer has been blown away by a few studios-or more likely execs at those studios who are now "inexplicably richer." Pushing the market decision process this fast is not good for technology or the consumer.
WHAT??? You think receiving one box-set for xmas 2 months ago should have been enough to push 'your' side to victory? You think that the world should drag out this stupid war for a few more years while you decide which of the two basically identical formats your next disc will be in? There was never any meaningful 'choice' or any need for or benefit to the 'war'. The whole competition was a stupid pointless waste of years and money and I say thank god it's over and I can't believe you wish you still had more time to decide which option suited you. Dang.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
The whole competition was a stupid pointless waste of years and money and I say thank god it's over and I can't believe you wish you still had more time to decide which option suited you. Dang.
I dunno, I think there are downsides to this war being over. It was competition, and now there won't be the same level of competition. I'm not sure that the consumer is better off with HD-DVD experiencing a quick death.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008, 09:39 PM

I dunno, I think there are downsides to this war being over. It was competition, and now there won't be the same level of competition. I'm not sure that the consumer is better off with HD-DVD experiencing a quick death.
But what did the HD DVD/Blu-Ray competition do for you, the consumer? All this "war" did was to blur lines for many regular people and made their electronics store visits much more complicated.

Whether HD DVD or Blu-Ray is better is immaterial at this particular point in the universal scheme of things. HD DVD is pretty much done as a major player, and only NOW can companies concentrate on making it better and better.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
WHAT??? You think receiving one box-set for xmas 2 months ago should have been enough to push 'your' side to victory? You think that the world should drag out this stupid war for a few more years while you decide which of the two basically identical formats your next disc will be in? There was never any meaningful 'choice' or any need for or benefit to the 'war'.
This is true only if you really, really like Sony and prefer your entertainment systems to be more expensive and more heavily locked down. For those of us who just want to watch a movie at a reasonable price, having HD-DVD around was pretty darn cool. And then there's the fact that Sony is pretty friggin' evil when it comes to consumer rights (anybody remember when they rootkitted all their customers' computers? Ah, good times).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
This is true only if you really, really like Sony and prefer your entertainment systems to be more expensive and more heavily locked down. For those of us who just want to watch a movie at a reasonable price, having HD-DVD around was pretty darn cool. And then there's the fact that Sony is pretty friggin' evil when it comes to consumer rights (anybody remember when they rootkitted all their customers' computers? Ah, good times).
Amen.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2008, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
But what did the HD DVD/Blu-Ray competition do for you, the consumer? All this "war" did was to blur lines for many regular people and made their electronics store visits much more complicated.
It also made prices cheaper. Now that the competition is over, there's much less incentive to reduce prices in order to attract customers to win the war.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 09:52 PM

Ya. Microsoft is on the consumer side and Toshiba was doing it for the good of the people.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Yeah, I picked one up from NewEgg yesterday as well. Gonna put my A3 back in the box and use the A20 as my primary player.

The DeepDiscount sale is great but I've already grabbed so many titles from Amazon in the past month that I can't justify spending anymore at the moment.

If you're on a roll, feel free to check out Amazon's Buy 2 Get 1 free promo. Should still be going on for a little while longer, and the prices would actually work out to be less than you could get through DeepDiscont.

Amazon.com: HD DVDs 3-for-2

Be sure to go through all the categories and each page. There are many, many titles.
The link you posted to is "Buy 2 Get the 3rd Free" and only has 46 titles to choose from. Unfortunately, most are $19.95 or above, thus negating any substantial savings over the $12.20 titles at Deepdiscount. Their 50% off sale isn't much better IMO as most titles are still $19.95 or above even with the 50% off. $12.20 with free shipping seems a much better deal unless I am missing something.

Deep Discount HD-DVDs sorted lowest to highest:

DeepDiscount.com - HD-DVD

BTW, here's a link to the Toshiba A20 at NewEgg for $99.99. Great deal on a very good 1080p HD-DVD player.

Newegg.com - TOSHIBA HD DVD Player HD-A20 - Retail
( Last edited by Mrjinglesusa; Feb 17, 2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Added A20 Link)

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008, 09:57 PM

It also made prices cheaper. Now that the competition is over, there's much less incentive to reduce prices in order to attract customers to win the war.
Not necessarily. Now you'll have companies vying for the consumers' money through improvements in hardware and software offerings. It's the same fight, but now there's only one format to worry about rather than everybody fighting for hardware superiority AND having two formats to create for.
the geek source

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2008, 10:08 PM

Not necessarily. Now you'll have companies vying for the consumers' money through improvements in hardware and software offerings. It's the same fight, but now there's only one format to worry about rather than everybody fighting for hardware superiority AND having two formats to create for.
Wow, I always learned that more competition led to lower prices. I guess they have to go back and re-write all the econ texts now. Thanks for the heads-up on this new way of thinking!

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Wow, I always learned that more competition led to lower prices. I guess they have to go back and re-write all the econ texts now. Thanks for the heads-up on this new way of thinking!
Wow, if you would have read what I posted, you wouldn't have had to respond like that. I didn't say that the competition was over. I said that it would most likely happen due to hardware and software. There will STILL BE competition, just not directly related to two FORMATS.

( Last edited by harbinger75; Feb 17, 2008 at 10:33 PM. )
the geek source

Atomic Rooster
Feb 17, 2008, 10:15 PM

Zup?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2008, 10:33 PM

Wow, if you would have read what I posted, you wouldn't have had to be a smartass. I didn't say that the competition was over. I said that it would most likely happen due to hardware and software. There will STILL BE competition, just not directly related to two FORMATS.

Stop whining, I understood exactly what you said, even without the all caps. Of course there will continue to be competition, but to suggest that it will make up for the lost competition from the format war is what elicited the sarcasm.

There are undoubtedly other benefits for the consumer now that things have settled (i.e., less confusion), but there will be less competition, which is not good for prices.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2008, 10:37 PM

Wow, if you would have read what I posted, you wouldn't have had to respond moronically. I didn't say that the competition was over. I said that it would most likely happen due to hardware and software. There will STILL BE competition, just not directly related to two FORMATS.

All the people saying that the death of HD-DVD will somehow allow Blu-ray to charge whatever it wants aren't thinking this through. As you point out, there will still be competition from different companies selling BR players. And as a matter of fact, there *are* still two competing formats: regular DVD and Blu-ray. BR still has to convince consumers that it's worth buying BR hardware and software.

That said, we probably won't see the kind rock-bottom giveaways that we saw earlier (especially on the HD-DVD side), since they were an attempt to build up a user base even if it meant taking huge losses in the short term.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Stop whining, I understood exactly what you said, even without the all caps. Of course there will continue to be competition, but to suggest that it will make up for the lost competition from the format war is what elicited the sarcasm.

There are undoubtedly other benefits for the consumer now that things have settled (i.e., less confusion), but there will be less competition, which is not good for prices.
Whining? Where, exactly, did I whine? You obviously didn't pay attention to what I said, or you wouldn't have responded that way.
the geek source

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2008, 10:49 PM

The link you posted to is "Buy 2 Get the 3rd Free" and only has 46 titles to choose from. Unfortunately, most are $19.95 or above, thus negating any substantial savings over the $12.20 titles at Deepdiscount. Their 50% off sale isn't much better IMO as most titles are still $19.95 or above even with the 50% off. $12.20 with free shipping seems a much better deal unless I am missing something.

Deep Discount HD-DVDs sorted lowest to highest:

DeepDiscount.com - HD-DVD

BTW, here's a link to the Toshiba A20 at NewEgg for $99.99. Great deal on a very good 1080p HD-DVD player.

Newegg.com - TOSHIBA HD DVD Player HD-A20 - Retail
... Did you actually read my post?

There's a reason I said "Be sure to go through all the categories and each page.", because there's going on 140~ titles and not every one is available on the first page.

The $19.95 titles at Amazon are not the same as the $12.20 titles at DeepDiscount. The ones that are $12.20 at DD are $14.95 at Amazon. The ones that are $18-something at DD are $19.95 at Amazon. There are even a few titles at DD that are more expensive than they are in the Amazon B2G1. All of the above makes the B2G1 a significantly better deal.

I also stated that I purchased the A20 from NewEgg yesterday in the same post. It also sold out this morning.

The link you posted to is "Buy 2 Get the 3rd Free"...
You say that as if it isn't what I said?
( Last edited by Lateralus; Feb 17, 2008 at 11:30 PM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 11:22 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2008, 11:27 PM

They are not ready to announce because they haven't decided on the color of their coffin.

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Oh, puh-LEEZE. Everyone focuses on the rootkit issue as if Sony's never done a good thing ever. If I can pop in a disc and it plays, I don't give a rat's ass if it's HD-DVD, BR, Greenie, Purple Pixel Player, or whatever color of the rainbow they want to use.

You all tend to forget what Sony has done in the past.

And no, I'm not a fanboy. I just want ONE FORMAT, but ragging on Sony for one issue seems juvenile and narrow-minded.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2008, 09:51 AM

HD-DVD fans are often quick to point out how evil Sony is while conveniently forgetting that Microsoft sits behind HD-DVD and Microsoft makes Sony look like the boy scouts.

I'm not concerned about M$ sitting in a committee, but their technical contribution, HDi

HDi (interactivity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The equivalent on the BD side is Java based. Sun isn't spawn of Satan as Microsith is, so there is no company with as direct influence over HD-DVD as Microsoft.

I suspect Microsoft's lack of vision killed HD-DVD.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 18, 2008, 10:12 AM

Any large company suffers from the Hydra problem - one head doesn't know what the other head is doing.

Sony suffers from this with the entertainment head and the computing head.
This is why the computing head makes mp3 players and the entertainment head tried to push ATRAC and DRM. So they made DAP devices that competed against each other for the same customers.

The rootkit nonsense came out of the entertainment heads.

It even suffers from this problem within the computing division. The Sony Mylo device was an interesting one because there were six different teams all working on a mobile internet device that did skype and instant messaging, and they were all working in secrecy. None of them knew that they were competing against other teams within Sony, and so they had duplicated effort, wasted resources, and only one device was announced. And then Sony crippled that device (despite it running Linux). Surprisingly, they think there's enough legs in the concept that they've introduced a Mylo2. I'm unconvinced.

This is Sony. They survive because they're large. They have momentum. They make what would be disastrously stupid decisions for a small organization, but because they have so many different heads, they don't know what anyone else in Sony is doing.

The benefit that the consumer gets out of that is that occasionally some really good things get released because no one is paying attention.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Any large company suffers from the Hydra problem - one head doesn't know what the other head is doing.
Very true.. in Sony's case it is more evident than in many others..

Wired 11.02: The Civil War Inside Sony

As a member of the Consumer Electronics Association, Sony joined the chorus of support for Napster against the legal onslaught from Sony and the other music giants seeking to shut it down. As a member of the RIAA, Sony railed against companies like Sony that manufacture CD burners. And it isn't just through trade associations that Sony is acting out its schizophrenia. Sony shipped a Celine Dion CD with a copy-protection mechanism that kept it from being played on Sony PCs. Sony even joined the music industry's suit against Launch Media, an Internet radio service that was part-owned by - you guessed it - Sony.

They're even suing *themselves* occationally. Hydra indeed.

The benefit that the consumer gets out of that is that occasionally some really good things get released because no one is paying attention.
Hehe very true

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2008, 11:52 AM

Toshiba Investor Relations : Comment on media reports on HD DVD

The media reported that Toshiba will discontinue its HD DVD business. Toshiba has not made any announcement concerning this. Although Toshiba is currently assessing its business strategies, no decision has been made at this moment.
45/47

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2008, 12:08 PM

Not a very reassuring release. I wonder if they're assessing how to put a Blu-Ray drive in the HD-A3.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Not a very reassuring release. I wonder if they're assessing how to put a Blu-Ray drive in the HD-A3.
firmware to change the aperture setting
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules