Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 61)
cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 11, 2012, 12:27 PM

actually, my 'first order of business' has been digging a 'tunnel' in the nether back towards 'home'. Once that's done, I'll see if I can rail it to speed up getting out there and back. THEN I can start exploring.

Although I will say this: anyone having trouble finding rare minerals and the like... wander until you're into a new, never-before-seen chunk and mine away. It yields good results.

andi*pandi
Sep 11, 2012, 12:47 PM

You've got north. I might take east.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2012, 01:45 PM

Eh...I have a confession to make.

Today I hopped on for 10 minutes. I though that right-clicking or double clicking (or something) on the items on the inventory screen would give me their recipe. Instead, it gave me stacks of 64 of the frames. I checked again to make sure of what was happening with the diamond chests, and then felt very, very dirty.

Is this normal? Are we operating under some sort of ethics where we have an understanding that no one will cheat the system? I don't plan on doing it again, but I was wondering if there's a way I can get the recipes in-game without going through a wiki.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2012, 01:47 PM

Anyhoo, just saw Dakar's post about NEI, and realized that must be it. I'm not sure what our system is here. Someone enlighten me.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2012, 02:03 PM

There's an option button on the lower left that will put it into recipe mode for you. Or you can turn it off. Right now I have no edicts about it. Don't fell bad to Sek has been making serious use of it (mostly base construction materials.) You all will have to decide on any guidelines and / or how you'd like them imposed.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2012, 02:16 PM

Yeah I spawned myself a ton of Double Slabs and Concrete. Double slabs because the Mercurial Eye will only place the 'bottom' slab and not double it up and also because it won't accept the pre-made double slabs fromm the NEI. Concrete because it looks totally boss as a pavement, but for some reason I can't craft it no matter how hard I try.

Anything I can craft myself and/or use inside the Mercurial Eye an/or Transmute I won't give myself. I find my hundreds of millions of EMC my Collectors are generating to be far cheaper than my use of the NEI.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 13, 2012, 11:41 AM

Blaze,
Quick Portal Question. I'm looking to link a nether portal to a portal near the half-way house (coordinates/8 and all that). To keep from mucking up the spawn portal, which should I light up first, the nether-side portal or the normal-side portal?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2012, 12:07 PM

If your within 1024m of the spawn portal (-2049,-561) then you'll mess it up. If you do and your just on the edge you can move the portal in the nether up to 128m(?) before it won't link to you're portal.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2012, 01:07 PM

Well today I realized that my power generation just wasn't cutting it and I was slowly losing more EU during the night than my HV Array could gain back the next day. So began the process of building another HV Array, from scratch. Any other time I've build one I've done it piecemeal, a few MV Arrays at a time, and even then the resources required were staggering. This time I would need to build 512 Solar Panels. Below is a little visual aid, in fact I had to plonk down 3 Diamond chests just to store all the building materials.

First I would need to create 64 stacks of refined iron, 32 stacks for the Machine Blocks and 32 Stacks for the circuits.

This proved to be the first grand use for my 3 RedMatter Furnaces, which were invaluable.

The main bottleneck, again, was crafting these guys, and the rubber it requires. I ended up flying to Dakar's place to use his ultra-fast overclocked extractor while mine ran as well.

First chest had all the copper cables, this is the second chest...

...and the third

Not pictured, the materials for the LV Transformers, MV Transformers, and HV Transformer.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 13, 2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
If your within 1024m of the spawn portal (-2049,-561) then you'll mess it up. If you do and your just on the edge you can move the portal in the nether up to 128m(?) before it won't link to you're portal.
-1200,y,-1248

I take it that will ^@^@#^@# stuff up?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
-1200,y,-1248
I take it that will ^@^@#^@# stuff up?
http://www.csgnetwork.com/coordinatedistancecalc.html
May work.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 13, 2012, 03:58 PM

not 100% sure how to use that link. will research, but if you can shortcut the process...

nevermind. 1091 distance. works for me. agree?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2012, 04:22 PM

Try it. then go to the spawn and check the gate.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 14, 2012, 04:13 PM

Try it. then go to the spawn and check the gate.
Good news. It works and didn't break spawn.

Bad news? I now need to come up with about 2000 rails or so to lay in the nether.

oh yea, and I found another abandoned mine shaft. It's a super power, I swear...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2012, 07:35 PM

In my ongoing quest to automate manufacturing everything possible I have a Redpower2 based tree farm. Right now it's so I have a steady supply of rubber. I got lucky and actually saw this tree grow. I was using bonemeal during the testing. The transposers on the floor, working of a 10sec timer, suck in the saplings. The column of block breakers, triggered by the two repeaters acting as a block detector, deal with the truck. And theres a deployer to place another sapling.
5586/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Here's my reed farm, just block breakers on a time, the band there makes them grow really fast. The Thaumcraft "tech" research consumes lots of paper and bookcases. I include it mostly to show the slimes that can spawn almost anywhere.
5587/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I have a new generator control circuit but you guys aren't running geothermal generators.

And this just for sheer majesty.
5588/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 17, 2012, 05:46 AM

awesome volcano. impressive machines. remind me to seer clear of tekkit... I have little enough free time as it is

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2012, 08:30 AM

5586/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
I can't pretend to understand what's going on. It's too bad you moved on the Pro mode, because I wouldn't mind visiting some of these creations.

[5587/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Purple slimes? Awesome.

[And this just for sheer majesty.
5588/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Man, I wish my village had this one nearby. I tried to gussy mine up but it looks kinda weird.

---

I started Railcraft this weekend – well, I should say I started the Rail Station for Railcraft this weekend. After starting that station on the vanilla server, this station should end up closer to what my vision was, with some differences. I already spent an hour last night redoing walls because of flaws in the architecture. Microblocks are boon and a burden all at the same time.

fatty seems to have hit his stride with tekkit as well. He's creating all sorts of great projects (Wait til you see his reactor).

sek, consider having your train station l have a working place to arrive/depart from.
JB, I have plenty of platforms at the station if you'd like a route as well.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2012, 10:49 AM

fatty seems to have hit his stride with tekkit as well. He's creating all sorts of great projects (Wait til you see his reactor).
sek, consider having your train station l have a working place to arrive/depart from.
Aww shucks, you're making me blush. In reality Tekkit helps me finalize big projects so much better. In Vanilla my ADD would act up in the middle of the grind that is building on a large scale, in Tekkit I'm not bogged down by the collecting resources phase, so I can keep my eye on the prize so to speak.

I'm thinking my station is going to end up underground. A straight shot from the left-most tunnel (when facing your station) brings me just outside the city wall nearest my reactor. Not to mention, none of my city plots is large enough to accomodate something like a rail station. I'm going to horde resources first in my new rail factory, and when the time comes I'll chose a spot to start hollowing out.

The Reactors finished their first cycle yesterday, filling 4 MFSUs to the top, with barely any impact on the cooling items within. Right now I have a lever that switches "off" the reactors via Red Alloy wires, but I'd like to look into a more automated system, such as the MFSUs sending a redstone signal to turn on the reactors when they are empty or some such deal. Of course, with the level of power usage I plan on having about the city, 4 MFSUs are going to provide power for a very long time.

Oh yeah, Blaze, would you mind terribly getting us a rendered map of our little tekkit world in your free time? Considering how close we all are to each-other I doubt it would be very large. Thanks a million!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The Reactors finished their first cycle yesterday, filling 4 MFSUs to the top, with barely any impact on the cooling items within.  Right now I have a lever that switches "off" the reactors via Red Alloy wires, but I'd like to look into a more automated system, such as the MFSUs sending a redstone signal to turn on the reactors when they are empty or some such deal.  Of course, with the level of power usage I plan on having about the city, 4 MFSUs are going to provide power for a very long time.
I have some screen shots of my power control system that should be enough to replicate it i'll post them later. What it does is every 2 minutes cycles till the MFSUs are full. I'm doing it with a splitter cable but with a reactor you'd trigger it instead. No difference to the circuit though it just outputs a signal when it doesn't want power.

I think I labeled them fairly well. In this setup all the redwire could be replaced with red stone dust.

5596/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
5597/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Heres the logic behind it. The MFSUs are set to provide a signal when they are full. I want to know when all of them are full so I invert it so I know when any of them isn't full. If I didn't invert it I'd know when the first one was full but not the last. Then I use the edge detector to tell me only when they transition from not full to full. That trips the toggle that powers the splitter via the buffer. The buffer via the not gate also releases the timer to start again (it doesn't run when powered) that will reset the toggle.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2012, 11:19 AM

Devastated...

Lost my dark matter tools, Ring of Arcana (or whatever it's called), and a ton of collected materials in a dual-creeper ambush at the bottom of one of the ravines under my area. I went back to get everything, and it had been washed into lava by a waterfall.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 18, 2012, 12:28 PM

Looks like someone is about to take a crash course in Equivalent Exchange.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2012, 03:57 PM

Eeeeeexactly.

And I will not admit to having possibly maybe perhaps tried to use NEI to compensate for it only to realize that blaze has locked that functionality.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2012, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Eeeeeexactly.
And I will not admit to having possibly maybe perhaps tried to use NEI to compensate for it only to realize that blaze has locked that functionality.
You should be able to use it.

More automation madness. Lots of pretty trees.
5616/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Wait were are my pretty trees going?
5617/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Oh look thats were they went.
5619/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Yea! More trees!
5618/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

It's called a filler. The trick is using a Transposer to reset it. You see, you have to clear the setting and reinitialize it before you can use it again. Buildcraft pipes won't extract from it. Probably to stop just this. If you can figure out the trick to getting the transposer to actually reset it you get a gold star.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2012, 08:53 PM

Don't worry, as those of us in the Boston area know there was a storm and in knocked my Internet out, no power issues though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2012, 09:08 PM

Figured that was the case, it's crazy windy here on the Coast.

andi*pandi
Sep 19, 2012, 07:01 AM

Seems to be back up.

If tekkit lets you take away some of the drudgery, that's appealing. Like that tree farm and the autoplanting.

Currently back at the village gathering supplies and... chickens.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2012, 07:26 AM

Switching back and forth between the default Minecraft texture for Tekkit and BureBDCraft on my SSP is jarring. I've never experimented with a texture pack before now, and I'm not sure why.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2012, 07:28 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2012, 07:38 AM

I'll leave that one to you guys.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2012, 10:23 AM

Well, thank god for NEI. Set up a test track and figured it out in short order. Took me longer to work out signaling platform using the various pieces of redstone logic.

I also explosively crashed a cart testing out high speed rail last night. Which gave me an idea for another project I'll likely work on tonight...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well, thank god for NEI. Set up a test track and figured it out in short order. Took me longer to work out signaling platform using the various pieces of redstone logic.
This is why I have a creative flatland map. So I can mess around trying things out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2012, 06:25 AM

This is why I have a creative flatland map. So I can mess around trying things out.
Yeah, I could have done it in my SSP too, but for some reason I don't like it.

Honestly, I have a plan for this, a very large Holodeck. Completely secure and flat. My only problem right now is figuring out where to put it and how to access it. Otherwise, it's going to look 10x better than the glowstone and obsidian one I did vanilla minecraft.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2012, 06:44 AM

Next time we have three of us on, I'll have to take you to the desert to my latest gimmick. Will be quite fun, though I do need to tweak some odds n end on it yet.

andi*pandi
Sep 21, 2012, 06:49 AM

Do I have to install tekkit just to log into this world, even if I don't do any tekkit things?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2012, 06:51 AM

You have to download a separate launcher.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2012, 06:03 PM

A picture for every degree of freedom. It's currently controlled by levers instead of anything fancy and I haven't made it pretty.

5720/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
5721/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2012, 01:10 PM

Pic dump!

The unending oil I found around the stronghold? Here I begin to pump it out.

To give you an idea of the scale of the size of the well.

The final result in tanks.

Wind powers my desert village, in the most inefficient manner possible.

The first child.

My castle and tower.

From the tower.

My rail station, in progress.

Awesome glitch I encountered.

First ocelot.

Mooshroom terraforming in progress, and yes it's glitchy.

andi*pandi
Sep 25, 2012, 04:28 AM

Nice! I like your desert compound.

There is something new in the vanilla village. I had to take a break from the tree so I've been minevilling. Nothing technical, but it turned out well.

Blaze, I checked out your tower in progress... Hmm... interesting!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2012, 12:20 PM

After making reinforced glass bit by bit for the umpteeth time I figured I needed a way to streamline Advanced Alloy production. Turned out to be a fairly simple build.

From left to right: Chest being fed by downstairs condensors, Automatic Crafting Table making Mixed Metal Ingots, Singularity Compressor doing the rest.

Raw material creation. Three Condensors making Bronze, Tin, and Iron. Iron is fed through a RedMatter Furnace first. Note the clusters of 3 in the piping, it's even in the right crafting order! Purely by coincidence.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2012, 09:15 AM

I'll have to look at that some time.

---

I've run into a roadblock in Railcraft – railcraft itself. Its just a niggling bitch. Making the minecart explode isn't an accidental occurrence, it's a freakin' guarantee. I haven't finished a damn thing because I got sick of fixing accidents. I can't even test parts of tracks because the damn thing will explode as soon a sit gets to the end. I'm going to look into doing some serious exploration this weekend.

For those of you who found it, if you're wondering what the point of the facility was, while 90% for show, it also gives me a testing ground for using the rail, as it is finicky.

---

I think I forgot to mention, but last weekend, I added some nice details to the village, including a cow pen, goat (sheep) pen, and I added chickens to one of the vanilla house pens, and pigs to the other. I'm currently building a warehouse for wheat to be stored and transported. I may expand the farmlands, who knows.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2012, 09:46 AM

Yeah I believe with the high speed rail you need a specific type of track to transition back to low speed rail were you can stop / start / turn.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2012, 09:48 AM

The difference between HS Booster and Transition rail has been confusing the hell out of me (I think I understand now).

Then you have to worry about turns and then, I've now read going HS up and down inclines is a gamble because if it "catches an edge" it'll explode. Sounds more like a bug than a feature to me.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2012, 11:07 AM

I haven't found a place yet were i want to go far enough that a rail is needed were a nether portal isn't enough. Never mind the difficulty of long straight runs. I guess this is exactly the reason they made the TBMs. But the new cave spawning breaks those.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2012, 11:12 AM

The rail is mostly for looks, though I wouldn't mind taking a ride to some of the destinations rather than flying every time.

andi*pandi
Sep 30, 2012, 05:47 PM

blaze, I'd like to thank you again for hostiing this server for us. This weekend my son begged to try a PVP server his friends recommended so I had to test it out.

minecraftuprising.com

It's a hugely PVP faction-based system. There is a spawn safe zone, but the factions camp outside the portal to "the wild" so its hard for a new player to get started against some a$$hole with diamond armor and sword. I kept scrabbling to have basic tools and food, only to have someone kill me or starve to death. Then my son and I were playing together and making some headway on supplies, finally an iron sword, and diamond armor a$$hole followed me home and told me, literally, "Andi, join us or die." So I joined their faction just to see what the fuss was. I didn't really want to be part of some gang that camps at the portal and kills newbies, but I'll do some research to see if the kid should keep playing. I don't mind fighting games, but the unfair odds were frustrating.

I quit and went to blaze's server to mine in peace. I broke the railway (again, dogs stuck there) and need some gold to fix it.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2012, 08:00 PM

Yeah, i didn't even consider not running the site with a whitelist. The problem is unless you do allot of moderation the "less than polite" drive away all the nice people. Though I don't really have to tell you that. You're a mod here.

I watch Ethos(labs) videos and some of the others also on the Mindcrack server. They get along great. Even with PvP enabled. I doubt you'll find a server like that without a whitelist.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2012, 05:26 AM

Odd power outage this morning and it looks like I need a new UPS the battery lasted for 2 minutes. I have no clue if anything was lost / corrupted

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2012, 06:09 AM

I may have almost killed the server yesterday. Well, probably not. I'm not sure how things work.

I did a quarry last week, and decided to set-up a second one next to the previous location now that it was done. Then I left and went about my business but when I returned there was a chunk that wasn't being mined. Rather than set-up a world anchor, I decided to just go AFK nearby.

After a Borderlands session I returned and found my local FPS was 2. Two. I managed to get out of there and then it went back to normal, however just looking in its direction from nearby killed my framerate.

I logged on a few hours later and all was well, but I don't understand why one quarry was devastating to FPS when the previous one(s) were fine.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2012, 06:10 AM

Was it dropping items on the ground? That will kill things fast.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2012, 06:11 AM

Same exact set-up as every other one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules