Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How will the social network revolution effect politics of the future

How will the social network revolution effect politics of the future
el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2013, 02:03 PM

Or should I have said "affect"? Something that crosses my mind from time to time. In the next 10-20 years all or most the people running for office will have a lifetime of tweets, forum posts, myspace, facebook one liners and opinions online, saved forever by every agency of government and exposable to the world. I often wonder what kind of hell awaits our politicians who will be trying to run for office in the future. Internet forums probably the worst. I mean look at all the extensive opinions posted on forums. It wont take much digging by the powers that be to disclose any candidates entire life, and all the seemingly "insane" and extremest thoughts they had for moment in their life.
thoughts? Anyone here ever plan on running for office...

Tiresias
Jun 12, 2013, 02:06 PM

It is as though a maggoty corpse had turned up to a cocktail party in a dinner jacket, smiling, nodding, extending a bloated hand to the first person it meets, cheerfully oblivious to the wave of horror that sweeps through the room at its entrance, and even when the room empties, still does not understand, until at last, champagne glass in hand, it shambles out onto the lawn after the fleeing guests, happens to catch sight of its own reflection in a window, understands everything all at once, and is brought to its knees retching up bile and centipedes.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2013, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
Or should I have said "affect"? Something that crosses my mind from time to time. In the next 10-20 years all or most the people running for office will have a lifetime of tweets, forum posts, myspace, facebook one liners and opinions online, saved forever by every agency of government and exposable to the world. I often wonder what kind of hell awaits our politicians who will be trying to run for office in the future. Internet forums probably the worst. I mean look at all the extensive opinions posted on forums. It wont take much digging by the powers that be to disclose any candidates entire life, and all the seemingly "insane" and extremest thoughts they had for moment in their life.
thoughts? Anyone here ever plan on running for office...
When you don't know whether to use "affect" or "effect", go with "impact".

I've thought about this same thing, specifically in the context of the movie Back to the Future of all things.

It wasn't too long ago we hit the point where there's more time between us and BTTF than there is between the "present" in that movie and the "past". Of course, the point of that movie was how much has changed culturally between the 50's and the 80's. Maybe I'm not remembering things as well as I should, but the difference between the 80's and now just isn't as massive as the change between the 50's to the 80's.

If we go 30 years from now, shit yeah are things going to be culturally different than they are now, and it was exactly this point I landed upon. The person running for president in 30 years will have their whole internet life laid bare.

Ultimately, I see this as a force for good. Stepping away from politics for a second, everyone else's life is going to be laid bare as well, and I think the result of that will be realizing everyone has skeletons, and there's limited value in judging the **** out of that lest ye be judged as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules