Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Film Competition > Old Film Comp (archive) > unrendered - #5

unrendered - #5
John Reilly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2001, 07:05 PM

http://www.fingerlust.net/unrendered

unrendered was made last winter by a bunch of high school seniors from Bloomington Minnesota who didn't know what they were getting into. It was a class assignment, so many of the jokes (if that's what you want to call them) might only be funny to members of that class. It was made with a minimum of technical experience using Final Cut Pro 1.2.5 on a 400mhz B&W Powermac. There are a variety of compression sizes to choose from at the above address... However, keep in mind that I'm no expert at Media Cleaner Pro... I just chose some presets, so the smaller sizes are almost worthless. Nevertheless, have a look. We had fun.

urbanmastermind
Nov 19, 2001, 08:33 PM

I really liked it a lot.. I mean it kept me still for the entire time... More than I can say for any of my teachers ...

I liked a lot of the shots in there... 'Specially the ones where the light pours in from one source....

Bravo.

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 20, 2001, 03:38 AM

that's some funny stuff. well done. the outtakes were a nice addition.

i'll add you to the entries page later today (Tuesday).
what description would you like?
who do you want listed in the "by" field?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2001, 01:04 AM

That was sweet! great job, keep up the good work.

hehe the Bloopers were funny

-Owl

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 21, 2001, 02:47 AM

your entry is up. i wasn't sure what to put for the description, so i took the first two sentences of your post. let me know what you really want it to be.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Demonhood ]

asterizk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2001, 12:27 AM

d'Oh! The server the movie is being hosted on is temporarily down.

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 26, 2001, 03:42 AM

John, if you need a host, contact misc over at the contacts page. he'll hook ya up.

John Reilly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2001, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
<STRONG>John, if you need a host, contact misc over at the contacts page. he'll hook ya up.</STRONG>
Sorry about that... I'm in the process of upgrading my server to run some new stuff, and unfortunately (albeit expectedly), it's not going as smoothly as I'd like.

In any case, I've thrown a small fix together to last me until my new server is up. The original link (http://www.fingerlust.net/unrendered) should work fine now.

As far as the description goes, I'm not picky (read: I'm lazy.). What is up there now works for me. If, however, you feel that a better one is in order, I can loose my monkeys at their typewriters and see what they come up with. (And, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em.)

Thanks everyone for the positive comments! It was a fun project, and I'm glad that others might be enjoying it as well.

-John Reilly

Rogue 5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2001, 03:19 PM

Great Job! Really impressive and well written. Camera work and lighting were very well done I thought. Editing was creative yet not so much that it detracted from the story.
Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz
1Gig RAM, 128Meg VRAM
Tiger 10.4

Troubleshoot your Mac like a Genius!
GeniusLevel.Net

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2001, 10:24 PM

Nice! But you gotta let us in on some of those inside jokes! Wide load? There's obviously something up with that. Target? Did the "study session" actually happen? I'm curious.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

asterizk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2002, 07:20 AM

Oh man, looks like the server went up and back down while I wasn't looking! Still haven't gotten a chance to see this one.

Krishen

John Reilly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2002, 09:15 PM

Sorry about all the server problems. How does the saying go? Something like: "The first 90% of a project takes 10% of the time, whereas the remaining 10% of the project takes the remaining 90% of the time." Well, I'm deeply entrenched in 90-90 land.

I set up my iTools page to display the movie, though it's a relatively low quality version (20 megs only goes so far). If anyone wants a higher quality version, just let me know and I'll make sure you get one.

http://homepage.mac.com/jreilly

You can also check out some full size still frames from the movie. (iPhoto is sweet!)

-John Reilly

John Reilly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2002, 08:49 PM

Ok, I've got my original server back up and going again. I've also posted a high quality version (200 megs) of the movie for your viewing enjoyment.

http://www.fingerlust.net/unrendered/

(ps, I've only got a DSL connection, so take it easy on the 200 meg version)

-John

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2002, 07:08 AM

The beginning was pretty slow but after it started I watched the whole thing. I love the character of the Chem teacher and the bloopers at the end. Good job.

Forum Links
Forum Rules