Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > make a dvd

make a dvd
numlock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2005, 11:33 AM

Hi im new here and am interested in making a dvd out of old home movies. Ive already have the equipment to get a dv copy of the video on the computer so i just need to know what to do exactly to compress it and get it on a dvd.

I got Fcp and ffmpegx and ive also been looking at mpeg2works demo (although the dvd part isnt working there).

When ive tried fcp and ffmpegx i get totally different files as a result of the compression so i really dont know what to do.

So if anyone here could tell me what program gives the best options and is best to use, what bitrate i should select for the audio and video and what i have to do to get the end result from whatever software on to a dvd I would appreciate that very much

thanks in advance

I hope i posted in the right section. If not im sorry

msuper69
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2005, 01:45 PM

iDVD works great.

Or if you want all the bells and whistles, DVD Studio Pro.

numlock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2005, 02:26 PM

ok so i import the dv files into idvd (for instance) make chapters, menus all that and it compresses?

Also unless something changes i wont have a dvd burner where i am so i might have to use another computer to burn and maybe a pc will that result in any problems?

kw14
Sep 18, 2005, 02:40 PM

Last I remember, iDVD won't start up on macs without a build-in DVD burner. Don't know if this is still true, as I have no macs without DVD burner to test.

numlock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2005, 02:54 PM

it does. just get that message that i am without a superdrive and cannot burn a dvd

kw14
Sep 18, 2005, 03:18 PM

When you press the burn button, that's what kicks off the encoding process. So can you still do this even when you can't actually burn a DVD? Just create a simple project and try it out. Mind you to make it very simple. iDVD takes a long time to create a DVD image. I usually let it run overnight.

numlock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2005, 09:32 PM

I can select to burn disk image and that came out alright.
Two questions though. Regarding the end size. Im putting some vids in the project and on the statusbar it seems to be filling up quite fast. Like just one hour of video on 4gb. How do i stretch to like 2 hours?

And when you look at these old tapes in a computer format they have this distortion or something on the right side. The right edge. What do i do to cut that out?

http://d10.yousendit.com/E/1PA8KXLHE.../Still%2001.dv

heres a link

kw14
Sep 19, 2005, 02:29 PM

Made a DVD last night. Not sure how long it was; but I thought it was at least 1.5 hr long. This took up nearly 4GB. I did attempt to add several long sequences into one project at one time and iDVD warned me that the material was over the 2:00 limit and cannot burn the DVD. So I do expect it to do 2 hours.

I can't see/download your file link. But it looks like a dv format from the extension. Typically, I import my dv video into FCE, edit them and output a quicktime movie file for use in iDVD. Maybe this process creates a smaller video through QT encoding. But this process I believe should get you two hours.

numlock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2005, 04:10 PM

what about this one http://www.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...890123456789AB

Its really just a picture of that thing on the right side id like to cut out. I didnt know how to make a picture of it so i just saved a frame in imovie. Is there some easy picture program like paint in windows for mac?

When you compress them to a quick time file what is the bitrate you chose?

kw14
Sep 20, 2005, 02:18 PM

Still can't DL your link.
But if what you want is to get rid of some small portion of a video, you can try playing around with mattes in Final Cut Pro.
If the edges are very minor, you may not need to do anything. When you watch it on TV, you can't see some 5% of the edges anyway.
I don't know how you can use a paint program to clean up a video footage. But doesn't AppleWorks have some kind of paint program. There is always Photoshop and Photoshop Element. Or you can go open source if what you want to do is possible in a paint-like program.

numlock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2005, 10:07 PM

Sorry about all that mess.

I tried it now on rapidshare http://rapidshare.de/files/5343414/Still_2.dv.html

Like you say when you watch it on tv you probably wont notice it as its from a tv recording but id prefer if i could cut it out.

Another question. How do i add a movie with chapter selection into a idvd project that already has a movie with chapter selection. All i know how to do is share with imovie and that always seems to want to replace the existing idvd project not add to it.

So i could have a dvd with basketball games. And at the first menu i select from a few games and when i push select on game 1 i can chose quarter 1, 2, 3 and 4 and likewise with the rest of the games.
( Last edited by numlock; Sep 21, 2005 at 10:18 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules