Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbooks this week!

New Powerbooks this week! (Page 2)
siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2005, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gogarty
budster101, happy now?
Funny though, it wasn't as large as OogaBooga's sig... (not complaining OogaBooga!)

But hey, I've never wanted to be a Moderator...

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
How much better is it?
I guess this depends on the code. You would perhaps see a mere 2-5% boost in some cases, but much more in others.

LMaung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 01:53 PM

Hello All,

My first post. I have been waiting for a new pookbook.

I am currently using IBM T42 1.86 centrino. I love my IBM but hey grass is always greener on the other side. I am ready to switch to mac.

So, When do you guys think the new intel chip pb will come out? jun 06?
Super whine, super hot Macbook Pro.
IBM T42

subzero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 02:09 PM

My guess would be approx. jun 06, as stated from Steve Jobs.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Flip500
forget the apple and man part, all they're about is SALES. I rarly trust them, unless they're telling me where the bathroom is...
Next time I'm sending you to the ladies room.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by brent0saurus
i just read on macrumors that they are speculating new powerbooks as early as this week.
Did nobody catch this? This is no revelation, and is almost certainly guaranteed to be true, unless Apple goes out of business before it makes a new powerbook.

My sources tell me we will have a widely accepted alternative energy source as early as next week...
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2005, 12:51 PM

Thanks SMacSteve, always looking out for your customers!

To add to madmacgamers: We're going to go to Neptune as early as this week!

LadyBlue
Sep 24, 2005, 02:17 PM

As much as I would love to see new powerbooks come out, I'm just as happy w/ my 1ghz version (rev. b I believe). ::shrugs:: it just technology and no matter what you buy, next week someone has something better.

Its like that commercial w/ a guy driving around in his car so proud of his new top of the line computer (model B1266 or something) and just as he is going home, a billboard is being changed to show off the even newer line of model B1267. He was like "omgwtf!" hehe.
I <3 Macs!

redheadfred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by LadyBlue
As much as I would love to see new powerbooks come out, I'm just as happy w/ my 1ghz version (rev. b I believe). ::shrugs:: it just technology and no matter what you buy, next week someone has something better.

Its like that commercial w/ a guy driving around in his car so proud of his new top of the line computer (model B1266 or something) and just as he is going home, a billboard is being changed to show off the even newer line of model B1267. He was like "omgwtf!" hehe.

haha yeah I remember that commercial. So true it hurts...

I just can't wait for a new powerbook to come out so I can replace this old 800MHz piece. It works, but it could use an upgrade

gee308
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2005, 03:22 PM

I'm going crazy waiting for a new pbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by redheadfred
haha yeah I remember that commercial. So true it hurts...

I just can't wait for a new powerbook to come out so I can replace this old 800MHz piece. It works, but it could use an upgrade

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by gee308
I'm going crazy waiting for a new pbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, the missing PB G5 makes the PB Al (with "upgrades") the longest living laptop ever :-) Since 2003. The same model for 3 years..
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

gee308
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2005, 10:03 PM

I was going to wait for a g5, but since that is never going to happen, I need one next week!!

salaryman
Sep 26, 2005, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by gee308
I was going to wait for a g5, but since that is never going to happen, I need one next week!!
i've been waiting for a significant upgrade for about 3 months now, but it looks like it's not going to happen until mid-2006

the current top-of-the-range pb isn't up to scratch imo. 100gb hdd should be standard, as should 1gb ram, better 128mb video card and a much improved display. the pb used to blow all competitors away but now it's spec is tired, especially for the huge cost.

sort it out apple!

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by salaryman
i've been waiting for a significant upgrade for about 3 months now, but it looks like it's not going to happen until mid-2006

the current top-of-the-range pb isn't up to scratch imo. 100gb hdd should be standard, as should 1gb ram, better 128mb video card and a much improved display. the pb used to blow all competitors away but now it's spec is tired, especially for the huge cost.

sort it out apple!
The new Intel CPUs are now delayed with even more months, and there are no more "new" G4s left to even bother an another upgrade. It is hard to be the little bother in this market. A significant PB upgrade is therefor excpected to be just before xmas next year. Have a nice wait. My PB G4 15'' Al Rev B is going to have a loong life. Because rev B probably is the better choice for a mactel (considering the SW etc.) I would believe that a new PB today will last for more than 1 year as "state of the art" and another year as the best pick (and is therefore worthly to buy).

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2005, 03:29 PM

I say bollocks to the above. I'm very sure that Apple is not going to put off updates (however small) to the PowerBook line for another 14-15 months when it has already been 8 months since the last update. Come on, get real.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by DKeithA
I say bollocks to the above. I'm very sure that Apple is not going to put off updates (however small) to the PowerBook line for another 14-15 months when it has already been 8 months since the last update. Come on, get real.
True.

But, Moto doesn't have that much to offer. Apple will update, but it won't be huge.
•

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2005, 04:39 PM

a 7448 may not look like a big upgrade (1.7 or 1.8 GHz tops) but it would be enough to get me to buy a PB. Lower power, faster bus, etc. And pin-compatible with the current chips - the only thing stopping Apple from dropping them into the current PowerBooks is the lack of supply from Motorola.

I would love to see the Freescale 8461D G4 in a PowerBook. It's the Yonah of G4s: dual core, 1.8GHz, 667MHz bus, a real DDR2 controller, and other goodies. Too bad it probably won't be shipping until after Apple's announced an Intel Powerbook.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 04:40 PM

The rumored updates supposedly compromise a bigger HD standard on the 17" (120GB I believe), a higher resolution standard, a switch to the 7448 (I think they're trying to get it up to 2Ghz but are having problems.) And some other stuff I'm sure they've got tucked up their sleeve.

Oh, and I think they're considering dropping the 12" PowerBook all together :O

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
The rumored updates supposedly compromise a bigger HD standard on the 17" (120GB I believe), a higher resolution standard, a switch to the 7448 (I think they're trying to get it up to 2Ghz but are having problems.) And some other stuff I'm sure they've got tucked up their sleeve.

Rumored by who?
Release date predictions?

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2005, 05:48 PM

Drop the 12" PB!?! What blasphemy!
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2005, 06:36 PM

If they drop the 12'', I will be pissed.

So pissed, in fact, that I will just end up buying another PB in a few years...

Tiresias
Sep 26, 2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
Your sources?

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2005, 10:55 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by bad battery life I get 2 and a half to 3 hours at MAX performance and full brightness on my powerbook and that plenty of time for me to get to a charger. I've never used a newer iBook my last ibook was a late 2001 G3 600Mhz, its still kicking and it's great. I've never had to ask a Apple Sales guy for advice I do most my shopping online first than goto the store and buy when I know what I want. I can tell you the technicians are very good at what they do.
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by bleee
I'm not sure what you mean by bad battery life I get 2 and a half to 3 hours at MAX performance and full brightness on my powerbook and that plenty of time for me to get to a charger.
The earlier TiBooks could get 5 hours easily. A later G3 PB (Lombard or Pismo) could do over 10 (though that was with two batteries installed). Many current PC laptops of similar size/weight to a PowerBook can get 4-6 hours. It's not that the battery life is awful, it's just not very good when compared to previous Macs and current PC laptops.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 11:26 PM

Rumored by who?
Release date predictions?
Your sources?
AppleInsider
They were supposed to be released at the Apple Expo, but I guess they ran into those aforementioned technical problems. Here's to hoping they actually get around to releasing these babies.
( Last edited by brokenjago; Sep 26, 2005 at 11:56 PM. )

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by DKeithA
Probably there will be small upgrades, but as stated before, there will be no revolution in the PB line before the mactels. In fact, the upgrades are propbably only for marketing and not performance issues unless they dramaticly chance current design. A dual core G4 CPU will kill battery life time and is not probable to get into the PBs. The PBs have been out of date for at least 1 1/2 year compared to other laptops, considering the HW. (Of course the SW/HW monopoly makes it possible to be that delayed thanks to the old and ugly outdated G4 (troll)).

I don't mean to be mean, but get real. If you need a PB buy it now. For 1 year (at least) there will be very small upgrades and for another year you avoid to be a part of the Apple test team for x86 porting.

The Apple monopoly is both a weakness and an advantage for the endusers. For PB users I would claim that the latter is not our case.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2005, 09:07 AM

Well, AppleStore update time has passed so I guess no new PowerBooks this week (again).
•

Agent69
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
I would love to see the Freescale 8461D G4 in a PowerBook. It's the Yonah of G4s: dual core, 1.8GHz, 667MHz bus, a real DDR2 controller, and other goodies. Too bad it probably won't be shipping until after Apple's announced an Intel Powerbook.
According to this site, it has been delayed until the second half of 2006.
Agent69

gee308
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2005, 08:27 PM

there is a mini update, but still no powerbook!??!?!?

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2005, 08:34 PM

yeah, what's the deal, Apple??

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2005, 03:26 AM

While we wait for Apple to drop a new PowerBook on us, we could play some what-if...

• what if the next PowerBook rev is going to be the last PPC rev before Intel
• what if Apple will release Intel PowerBooks no earlier than June 2006 because Merom won't be available till the beginning of next year
• what if Apple wants to have the last PPC rev around for no longer than 6-8 months because they are afraid it wouldn't sell well while people anticipate the Intel PowerBooks

...that would mean the next rev gets released no earlier than November. Just in time for holiday buying season.
•

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2005, 03:27 AM

Speaking of Merom, what happened to Yonah for the PowerBook?
•

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2005, 09:24 AM

The larger Powerbooks better have dual sided DVD burning and HDV viewing with no stuttering. Otherwise I will surely give a yawn and keep my 1.5 Ghz.

A PC card slot in the 12" models and better, brighter screen would make me sell my Sony T250. But somehow I feel another yawn comming on....

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by urrl78
A PC card slot in the 12" models and better, brighter screen would make me sell my Sony T250. But somehow I feel another yawn comming on....
Why? Do you want a floppy drive to go with it??

I think the last time I used a PC card (PCMCIA back then) was in 1996.

habibman
Sep 28, 2005, 04:14 PM

or just a stupid 128 Video capability on the 12- even if it is just an upgrade option. that and a faster/bigger ram/hardrive on all of them. I mean, that would be the bare bones minum that could at least make it somewhat worthwhile and keep the line in check.

gee308
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2005, 04:31 PM

so when is the next pwerbook coming? I'm waiting until October 4th, if still not a new one, I am buying one.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2005, 08:43 PM

I don't think there will a PowerBook update for awhile, at least not for the next month or so the way I see it. You're looking at no sooner than, say, October 25th. A look at macprices.com shows pretty much everyone in stock of all models. When you start to see a lot places out of stock, that will be a pretty good sign that an update is coming.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 28, 2005, 08:48 PM

How would you know how their stock is? You don't.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2005, 09:47 PM

I think that the new PB up grades aren't going to come until a good while in to 2006 maybe even 2007, basically i think this thread was started to early...

woah, budster's been baned... lol.

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2005, 10:56 PM

Ok, lets say this straight out! Any upgrades before (estimated) June (mactels), or probably September next year (due to the delayed Intel CPUs) will be unsignificant.

If you need a laptop with OS X now, but a PB NOW. If not wait one year for the mactels. If you want the unsiginicant update, wait 12-9 monhts=3 months from now, given that the PentiumBook is released in September next year. If you can wait 3 months, you can wait 12 months.

Thus, the PentiumBooks will for sure have som initial problems due to the x86 porting, which means it is beneficial to have a PPC into year 2007. Get real, invest in your laptop today (if needed).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 28, 2005, 11:24 PM

Personally, if I wanted a new PowerBook and had a couple of months to spare, I'd wait. A G4 7448, a faster bus, and a new GPU are nothing to sneeze at.

And if I depended heavily on my PowerBook to make money, I'd strongly consider buying a PowerPC PowerBook in late 2005 instead of an Intel PowerBook in early 2006. The Intel PowerBooks will be faster, but may not work with some software initially, and who knows what the very first x86 PowerBooks are gonna be like in terms of reliability.

Originally Posted by Simon
Speaking of Merom, what happened to Yonah for the PowerBook?
Nothing. Yonah is still the most likely first PowerBook chip IMO.

RogerR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 12:26 AM

If you expect Yonah to be the first Intel chip in a Powerbook (and you may very well be right), I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 7448 G4 Powerbook. Yonah isn't that far away. I realize that would mean a year, possibly a bit more, between the most recent upgrade and Yonah Powerbooks, but Apple may decide to bite the bullet and wait it out with what they currently have on the market.

powerbook911
Sep 29, 2005, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by RogerR
If you expect Yonah to be the first Intel chip in a Powerbook (and you may very well be right), I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 7448 G4 Powerbook. Yonah isn't that far away. I realize that would mean a year, possibly a bit more, between the most recent upgrade and Yonah Powerbooks, but Apple may decide to bite the bullet and wait it out with what they currently have on the market.
Although I think there could be benefits if they went ahead and updated the Powerbooks, I can see your point of view too. If they could really release Intel Powerbooks in January, it might be a good idea to go ahead and allow sales of the Powerbooks to slow as they roll into an entire new line.

However, I still suspect we're more likely to see a PowerPC update this fall, and an Intel Powerbook in Spring or Summer 2006.
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by powerbook911
Although I think there could be benefits if they went ahead and updated the Powerbooks, I can see your point of view too. If they could really release Intel Powerbooks in January, it might be a good idea to go ahead and allow sales of the Powerbooks to slow as they roll into an entire new line.

However, I still suspect we're more likely to see a PowerPC update this fall, and an Intel Powerbook in Spring or Summer 2006.
When Jobs announced the change to Intel, in June, he said Mactels would debut in a year. I interpret this to mean June, '06, at the earliest, if there are no delays. I doubt very much that we'll see ANYTHING Mactelish in January.

As others have said, "version A" of any new product has "buyer beware" written all over it, and I won't buy any Mactel until "version B" arrives, and most of the kinks are worked out.

Also, if Apple goes with Yonah for the first Mactel PowerBook, how long before 64-bit Merom is available for PowerBooks? I'd hate to wait all this time for a YonahBook, and have MeromBooks available 6 months later. Merom may be "version B" for MactelBooks?

I'm waiting for the upcoming PowerBook updates with the type of perks that Eug Wanker listed above - I'll buy that, to replace my almost-3-year-old 1GHz Titanium, and plan on buying a MeromBook in a couple of years. C'mon, Jobs! We're waiting!!!

iBorg

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
How would you know how their stock is? You don't.
The site macprices.com posts the stock of each of the resellers. Go look at it. I look at it all of the time. For example, CompUSA had been out of stock on the high-end 15 and the 17-inch for awhile, and now they have stock of them. Usually when there's a pending update, there's a lot of red dots (out of stock). Right now there's a sea of green. It's a great site that helps in fortelling Apple updates.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 29, 2005, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by RogerR
The 7448 is a drop-in replacement for the 7447A. It's a no-brainer upgrade. Plus, such a machine will be very attractive to those requiring PowerPC Macs to run specific software.

Also, I don't expect Yonah PowerBooks to appear until calendar Q2 2006 anyway. The last update was Jan. 2005. If the next update is November 2005, then an April 2006 Yonah PowerBook will be perfect timing.

BTW, I'm starting to think I might just wait until the version B MacTel PowerBooks come out before I upgrade from my iBook 1.33 (which I bought to replace my TiBook 1 GHz before the warranty was up). It'd be nice to get a 2007 Q1 PowerBook with:

1) Faster dual-core CPU with 64-bit support, just because.
2) H.264 decode/transcode acceleration on the GPU.
3) An HD-DVD reader.
4) Less bugs
5) Better 3rd party software support

Mind you, if 3rd party software support is good by April 2006, I may be tempted to upgrade this July 2005 iBook 1.33, before its warranty is up too.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2005, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by ink
Why? Do you want a floppy drive to go with it??

I think the last time I used a PC card (PCMCIA back then) was in 1996.
Uh, seeing how you are so well informed on PC's; the T250 does not have a floppy drive or parallel port; and with the Verizon PC5220 PC card I get broadband access without routers or base stations. I can get on the net in a car, on a train etc. EVDO is just too much fun, especially since monthly prices have dropped from the outrageous $80 per month to a more reasonable $59 per month.

Say, don't the 15" and 17" models STILL have PC slots? Looks like the 1996 option is still with Apple also, yes? Believe it or not there are people out there that still need PC slots to expand laptop capability and they appreciate the versatility. I guess some don't, like yourself. Nothing wrong with that though...I just like to have as much capability as possible, you know, especially for future technological advances like say, the wireless freedom of National Access and Broadband access put together in the form of a PC card.

I wouldn't even LOOK at a 12" Powerbook till they either get that slot or have EVDO capability built in (like what I hear is comming soon to PC laptops), but seeing how long it took for the two button Apple mouse I am not going to hold my breath... (Double Yawn...)
( Last edited by urrl78; Sep 29, 2005 at 10:52 AM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 10:13 AM

Mods: Make this a sticky!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2005, 10:38 AM

From Eug Wanker:

1) Faster dual-core CPU with 64-bit support, just because.
2) H.264 decode/transcode acceleration on the GPU.
3) An HD-DVD reader.
4) Less bugs
5) Better 3rd party software support

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about...

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Personally, if I wanted a new PowerBook and had a couple of months to spare, I'd wait. A G4 7448, a faster bus, and a new GPU are nothing to sneeze at.

And if I depended heavily on my PowerBook to make money, I'd strongly consider buying a PowerPC PowerBook in late 2005 instead of an Intel PowerBook in early 2006. The Intel PowerBooks will be faster, but may not work with some software initially, and who knows what the very first x86 PowerBooks are gonna be like in terms of reliability.

Nothing. Yonah is still the most likely first PowerBook chip IMO.
The last PB Als updates have no significant performance upgrades. To expect a great one now, just before the mactels, is very unlikely. So, you can discuss this to the moon and back. If you need a PB buy it today, unless you are in a situation you can wait for 1 year, at least.

As I have said before, and what someone have repeated, the first x86 based macs WILL have som problems due to porting problems. (not HW).

Forum Links
Forum Rules