Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dvorak son buys a mac

Dvorak son buys a mac
chichow
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2009, 01:47 PM

Dvorak's son goes mac

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2350135,00.asp

t was a somber day for the Dvorak family recently when my son switched to the Mac, likely never to return to the PC. I saw this coming. The family flag is flying at half mast.

"He didn't want to tell you because he was afraid you'd get mad and talk him out of it," said my wife on a dreary Washington state morning. "What? I wouldn't talk him out of it!" I retorted as I gritted my teeth.
I was lying—I probably would have tried. That said, his was a smart move, since he was following the advice of pundits, technology writers, and everyone who ever gave advice about what to buy and why: "Buy solutions, not hardware." In his case, the solution was a stunning piece of software called DEVONthink, which he needs for a book he's writing.....

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2009, 01:50 PM

I'm sorry to be this blunt, but...

No one cares. (Let's see how badly I get proven wrong)

Edit: Also, cue chuckit.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2009, 01:54 PM

Hehe I thought it would be a stunning piece of software called Mac OS X?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2009, 02:07 PM

I wonder if the book will include a chapter or two on how full of crap his dad really is?
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2009, 02:07 PM

I don't think that's fair, Dakar. I don't object to this thread.

Could Dvorak be any more of a tool? Did he forget about his many years of writing the back column for Mac User?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I don't think that's fair, Dakar. I don't object to this thread.

Could Dvorak be any more of a tool? Did he forget about his many years of writing the back column for Mac User?
I don't care that he made the thread, I just don't think anyone actually gives a ****. Do you give a crap that Dvorak's son uses a Mac?

What I find objectionable is that we should care because it's Dvorak's son.

I care more when a random person on these forum announces he's switching.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I don't care that he made the thread, I just don't think anyone actually gives a ****. Do you give a crap that Dvorak's son uses a Mac?

Which leads to the obvious question: what if one of those random people was actually Dvorak’s son?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2009, 02:18 PM

Then he got the attention he deserved.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 14, 2009, 02:22 PM

I love that by comment #2, it had already escalated to a massive Mac vs. PC bash-fest.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post

In the grand scheme of things, I don't give a crap that Dvorak's son uses a Mac. But in the context of the Lounge, where a lot of frivolous topics are discussed, I think it's a topic worth discussing if others are interested in doing so. If the Lounge were limited just to topics of importance, very few threads would be allowed.

It's worth discussing Dvorak's son getting a Mac because Dvorak has made his career in the recent era writing stupid things about Apple and shilling for Wintel. The fact that his son is getting a Mac undercuts his rhetoric and thus is to some degree noteworthy in that context.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jul 14, 2009 at 02:41 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2009, 02:32 PM

In the grand scheme of things, I don't give a crap that Dvorak's son uses a Mac. But in the context of the Lounge, where a lot of frivolous topics are discussed, I think it's a topic worth discussing if others are interested in doing so. If the Lounge were limited just to topics of importance, very few threads would be allowed.
Let's not kid here, I'm not rating this on importance. I'm one of the most frivolous people here.

It's worth discussing Dvorak's son getting a Mac because Dvorak has made his career in the recent era writing stupid things about Apple and shilling for Wintel. The fact that his son is getting a Mac undercuts is to some degree noteworthy in that context.
And this is what raises my ire. It played up. It's false. Dvorak admits this himself. Just the part that the OP quoted sounds tongue-in-cheek. And since this is a Mac forum, I feel we're doing the ourselves a disservice by falling for such an obvious ploy.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2009, 02:53 PM

it's really funny, because in my mind, he still *is* a Mac writer.

I don't think I've read anything by him since he left Mac User. And since I stopped reading paper computer magazines before he did, I do a double-take and get momentarily confused whenever context indicates that he's turned into a sort of Paul Thurrott for people with college degrees…

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2009, 04:17 PM

He should switch to the Dvorak keyboard layout too while he's at it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2009, 04:20 PM

Ahh, come on. Dvorak doesn't care, he just writes stuff to get a reaction.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2009, 04:35 PM

Does Dvorak's son have a Twitter account? That's the only way I can think of to make this story more compelling.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2009, 04:48 PM

Heh. I missed that Simpsons episode. It's pretty funny actually.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2009, 05:06 PM

Dvorak is a softy. Like MallyMal said, he just says things to get reactions. I used to loathe him, until I started hearing him on TWiT podcast, and Cranky Geeks podcast. He's actually pretty funny and he dislikes all things equally. He really has no biases when it comes to bitching about something.

But I agree that his son buying a Mac is pretty much a non-story. Unless you're a huge Dvorak fan and follow his life.

Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2009, 06:16 PM

Something that no one has brought up yet is that Dvorak *himself* switched a while back... or at least wrote an article trolling for hits about switching and how angry with himself he was.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 14, 2009, 06:36 PM

Sorry John. Now get over it. Moving on....

John's fun to read if you don't take his ego content seriously. But his columns' blog content is higher than I'd like in a tech magazine. I have read way too much about how he wound up trying a product, and I have read way too much of his pronouncement and decrees that never really panned out. And I think he has quite a LARGE blog anyway, so that stuff just seems like padding his word count.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules