Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Motion control gaming?

View Poll Results: I am...
Poll Options:
satisfied with my PS3 or 360 8 votes (61.54%)
satisfied with my Wii 2 votes (15.38%)
interested in Project Natal 2 votes (15.38%)
interested in PlayStation Move 0 votes (0%)
Interested in a Wii (I'm from 2006) 0 votes (0%)
a camper 1 votes (7.69%)
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll
Motion control gaming?
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 26, 2010, 04:57 PM

Have at it. I might make a second poll after everyone has made their presentations at E3.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2010, 06:36 PM

I do not look forward to either consoles entrance into the motion control market because motion controls were done so poorly on the Wii, despite it's success.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 26, 2010, 06:56 PM

Gimmick, like 3D, do not want.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2010, 09:12 PM

Motion controls are for fat kids

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 27, 2010, 09:29 AM

I put that I am interested in Natal, but I'm not interested in it for gaming. I think as an interface for a game system or for a home theater system it could be very cool. And for some party games, not having to worry about controllers could be nice. But I am not looking forward to playing any real games with it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 27, 2010, 09:58 AM

You willing to shell out $150 for that?

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 27, 2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You willing to shell out $150 for that?
No, but I'm interested in it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2010, 10:19 AM

Worthless until they invent the full holodeck.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

-Q-
May 27, 2010, 10:27 AM

I have enough fun playing Wii baseball and the like with my nephews that I'm interested in seeing how it works for the 360. It may be rubbish, but it may be entertaining enough to consider. Now, if it's worth $150 is another story entirely....

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 30, 2010, 11:56 PM

I’ll keep my eye on the PlayStation Move news. Yes, Natal seems a bit more original while Move just seems like Wii controls better implemented. But the Natal thing with no buttons at all just seems really weird and off. I can’t imagine really getting into any gameplay that doesn’t involve touching anything.

If I start hearing about really amazing games that require PlayStation Move, I’ll consider getting it. But I’m not convinced ahead of time. When I had a Wii, I just didn’t encounter much that really benefited from it. Tennis was reasonably fun, I guess, but Super Paper Mario used a sideways controller, amounting to a NES controller. Galaxy seemed like it would have been better with a standard control system. I liked a few games that used tilt steering, but that could be done with SixAxis. But it still seems there should be potential there. My mind is far from made up.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2010, 05:12 PM

Is there any reason Sony can't do the same thing with Move as Natal or even vise versa? Seems more software than hardware.

Does natal still work in the dark?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 08:20 PM

It seems like there are some pretty major fundamental differences. I think Move can only track the Glowing Orb, while Kinect supposedly tracks several points on the player without needing anything to glow (sounds pretty astounding actually). OTOH, Move has buttons, so I would imagine it will provide for more precise timing and allow a bigger variety of inputs in succession without as much flailing. Seems more adaptable to (sorry, I’m gonna say it) “core” games I guess you could maybe use Kinect while holding a standard controller, but that seems pretty limiting—those controllers pretty much require you to have your hands together to be useful.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
It seems like there are some pretty major fundamental differences. I think Move can only track the Glowing Orb, while Kinect supposedly tracks several points on the player without needing anything to glow (sounds pretty astounding actually). OTOH, Move has buttons, so I would imagine it will provide for more precise timing and allow a bigger variety of inputs in succession without as much flailing. Seems more adaptable to (sorry, I’m gonna say it) “core” games I guess you could maybe use Kinect while holding a standard controller, but that seems pretty limiting—those controllers pretty much require you to have your hands together to be useful.
But again that is just software. Unless the camera doesn't have the depth perception on the Move they can write software to track bodies over orbs. The only reason those orbs light up is so it can be used in low lighting something I am hoping the Natal can do as well. MS can also release a controller that works like the move as well.

I think natal is good for some things but driving a car with air wheel or swinging a imaginary lightsaber is not the right thing as there is no real touch to anything or feedback.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2010, 10:24 PM

I just don't see the point in spending another $200-300 for the PS3 Move or Kinect when I already have a Wii. It would take a killer game, e.g. LBP2 with move support, to get me to care.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 10:33 PM

If the games using the motion stuff didn't all try to use kiddie graphics it might be easier to justify. SOCOM 4 with the move looked pretty good, but I would take a LOT for me to get into motion gaming.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I just don't see the point in spending another $200-300 for the PS3 Move or Kinect when I already have a Wii. It would take a killer game, e.g. LBP2 with move support, to get me to care.
Because the wii is horribly inaccurate and doesn't do the accurate body and voice control?

And the game selection is rather sub par for the most part on the wii.

They already demo'd LBP move support.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 12:39 AM

While Natal/Kinect, you have to stand in front of the tv to play. With the Wii, you can still sit on your couch and play. Wii games really only require moving the wrists, while it seems Kinect requires total body movement. That might be great for exercise games, but if I'm gonna play a long adventure game, I would prefer to lounge on the couch.

I don't own a console, and have been considering the new black Wii bundle for $200, or buying a PS3. Most of the style of games I'd get for PS3 are already available for Mac, but the Wii games worth buying are of entirely a different style.

I don't play too much. I still need to finish Prey and Force Unleashed before bothering with a console. But with Steam now on the Mac, a $200+ console and $50+ games makes far less sense.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
While Natal/Kinect, you have to stand in front of the tv to play. With the Wii, you can still sit on your couch and play. Wii games really only require moving the wrists, while it seems Kinect requires total body movement. That might be great for exercise games, but if I'm gonna play a long adventure game, I would prefer to lounge on the couch.
None of those points are true in the least. I think you need to do more research before you make your buying decision.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
But again that is just software. Unless the camera doesn't have the depth perception on the Move they can write software to track bodies over orbs. The only reason those orbs light up is so it can be used in low lighting something I am hoping the Natal can do as well.
That's a good question, will these cameras work in low light situations? I'd imagine there are certain light levels it won't work in. But then that's where you'd have to use something like Sony's solution, as you stated. Let's all stick glowing orbs on all the parts of our body.

While I see the use for casual games, I'm not convinced I want to use it for everything, or even if it's ready for everything.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
While I see the use for casual games, I'm not convinced I want to use it for everything, or even if it's ready for everything.
Obviously not all games will use the Motion, only for ones where it applies. The move has very little lag compared to Natal. I really like the augmented reality that the Move uses to replace the controller in your hands with a 3D object when it uses the camera to place you in scene.

The Natal better have an IR camera in low light or having to play with the lights on is going to suck. At the opposite end too much sunlight could kill the colour balls on the Move and make the camera lose track of it.

I'm more worried about the MS Natal as they seem to be using it for the wrong reasons such as driving a car with a pretend steering wheel and gas pedal. Firstly i have a coffee table like most people and the camera won't see my feet in any situation. Secondly pretend steering wheel/gas with no force feedback with the slightest lag will kill it for me. Same goes for pretend finger gun.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 23, 2010, 10:56 AM

Judging from the responses during E3 I don't think I even need to start the second poll.

Forum Links
Forum Rules