Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Shingles

Shingles
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2015, 11:29 AM

Day five.

I keep waiting for the hammer to drop, because everybody says this is the most agonizing shit ever, but it has yet to get past annoying.

I do seem to have lucked out in that it's not particularly widespread. Four quarter to half-dollar sized sites.

andi*pandi
Jul 13, 2015, 11:34 AM

I think it depends *where* they occur... sure it sucks tho!

Did you ever have chicken pox? You're kind of young for shingles, I would think.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2015, 11:45 AM

One of the mildly entertaining stories of my youth is my dad and I argue over whether I had chicken pox or not. I remember having it, my dad doesn't. He's never had it. How do you not remember being quarantined from your son for weeks on end?

This makes me think I didn't have it, but of course both of us could have had it and we're asymptomatic.

Placement is "good". Chest and shoulder, so it's not rubbing on anything except loose clothing.

I am young to be getting it. The theory is its the big ball of band stress I'm bouncing on right now.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2015, 12:16 PM

I did mention the possibility I didn't have chicken pox, so it could be something different, but the doctor was "it really looks like shingles, and the outbreak is along a nerve path.

OTOH, when the doctor was pressing on it, they were asking if it hurt in a way which implied I was supposed to say yes, but it didn't. If it's a nerve infection, I would imagine it should hurt.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2015, 02:42 PM

Man of steel. Clearly.

Rumor
Jul 13, 2015, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

Did you ever have chicken pox? You're kind of young for shingles, I would think.
My roommate got them at 25 or so during finals.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2015, 11:33 PM

For some reason I never contracted chicken pox, even after being forced to be around other kids who did (several times). "Your cousin has them, you're going over there to spend the weekend." Ugh.

Glad you're not experiencing the full monty, shingles is some rough shit.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

mindwaves
Jul 14, 2015, 12:08 AM

I first thought this post was about roofing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2015, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
For some reason I never contracted chicken pox, even after being forced to be around other kids who did (several times). "Your cousin has them, you're going over there to spend the weekend." Ugh.

Glad you're not experiencing the full monty, shingles is some rough shit.
It's probable you've had it, but were asymptomatic.

I'm starting to see where the horror stories come in. It's basically like a really bad burn.

If it was on my side, and my arm was banging into it all day, things would be different.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2015, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I first thought this post was about roofing.
I told more than one person that I'd been roofied.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 14, 2015, 03:50 PM

I picked up shingles on my honeymoon, one half of my face puffed up and my wife began questioning her decision to marry me (she hasn't stopped questioning, I don't think).

Not to be the one-up guy, but I picked up contact dermatitis last week doing some landscaping - I scratched my arm, rubbed my eye, and went inside to pee. Everything I touched broke out. Everything.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 14, 2015, 08:37 PM

It's most likely shingles. The agony part usually comes based either on where it is (don't get it on your bum, or on your hips where clothes sit!) and what else is going on with your health. As the lesions "mature," they could either become a lot more uncomfortable, or just dry up. It all depends on how frisky the virus is feeling at the moment. That you're having to think hard about what "brought this on" is a good indication that your experience should be relatively mild.

On the other hand, since shingles is opportunistic, if you were also battling flu, or had busted your arm, then it might just attack you while you're down and help everything else (euphemistically) kick you in the groin. One reason it's more talked about in elderly people is that they tend to have a bunch of crap messing with their health, and when shingles get 'em, it's rough.

Keep in mind that statistically you're now more at risk for future shingles outbreaks. So when your doctor says "get the shingles vaccine," DO IT. And when he says years later to do it again, DO IT AGAIN. The vaccine really helps.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Jul 14, 2015, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Not to be the one-up guy, but I picked up contact dermatitis last week doing some landscaping - I scratched my arm, rubbed my eye, and went inside to pee. Everything I touched broke out. Everything.
That sounds more like poison ivy.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2015, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
My roommate got them at 25 or so during finals.
I second the "too young" rebuttal. I got them for the first time when I was 29, and have had them twice since. They suck.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2015, 11:19 AM

I picked up shingles on my honeymoon, one half of my face puffed up and my wife began questioning her decision to marry me (she hasn't stopped questioning, I don't think).
[EDIT] Really weird joke removed.

Two weeks after my wife and I were married, I had a dream where I was standing at the edge of a pier overlooking a lake. Since there was no one around, I took the opportunity to urinate into the lake in a very dramatic, dancelike fashion. About the time my bladder was completely empty, my eyes popped open and I realized in absolute horror that I had peed the bed for the first time since I was a toddler.

The next morning, my wife was quiet for a few minutes, then very sincerely asked, "Does this happen all the time?"

I shouldn't have Googled that...

Are you still dealing with it?
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jul 15, 2015 at 11:37 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 15, 2015, 11:58 AM

Odd, I've had dreams about peeing, woken up in a panic, but had not let out a drop.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2015, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Odd, I've had dreams about peeing, woken up in a panic, but had not let out a drop.
You didn't even experience a slight dribble before waking and cutting off the stream?

You're a disciplined man.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 15, 2015, 12:20 PM

I've had dreams where I was mildly satisfied while peeing.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2015, 12:50 PM

I wish I had nice dreams like that.

But shingles - that shit sucks. My father is in the hospital, on top of all the crap he has, he now also has shingles. Nasty, disgusting - and from what I hear, quite irritating. It will take months to clear up.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2015, 01:00 PM

Mine is already clearing up, though I'm on antiviral meds.

Yet another reason I think this may be a misdiagnosis.

AFAICT, nothing has drained yet, but its definitely going away.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Mine is already clearing up, though I'm on antiviral meds.

Yet another reason I think this may be a misdiagnosis.

AFAICT, nothing has drained yet, but its definitely going away.
You are lucky (and young) - my Dad's shingles cracked open, it was nasty... about a foot or so across his rib cage and back.

Best of luck to you!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2015, 01:09 PM

Thank you!

This is sort of going the way zits go if you don't mess with them. Sooner or later, it all gets reabsorbed.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2015, 01:21 PM

It's kismet!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 15, 2015, 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=Jawbone54;4327124]The next morning, my wife was quiet for a few minutes, then very sincerely asked, "Does this happen all the time?"[.quote]

Hahahaha

I think it's getting worse.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 15, 2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
[The next morning, my wife was quiet for a few minutes, then very sincerely asked, "Does this happen all the time?"
"Usually it's not urine."

andi*pandi
Jul 15, 2015, 02:19 PM

Could be worser: (warning)
The Skin Rash Hall of Fame | The Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Poison Sumac Site

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2015, 02:30 PM

christ, get some calomine lotion, or whatever the hell it's called. also, try an oatmeal bath!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2015, 02:58 PM

Laminar's dong is infected, and all I got was this lousy picture of his forearms.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2015, 04:31 PM

Let me know when MacNN implements a GoneWild and I'll gladly contribute.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2015, 04:39 PM

That's ok. Really.

Get to a pharmacy, I'm sure they could recommend something.
Best you keep it in your pants though, they'll probably believe you. Good luck!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2015, 08:23 PM

Life finds a way.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2015, 11:35 AM

I've had dreams where I was mildly satisfied while peeing.
"Usually it's not urine."
Subtly working our way back around to the truth.

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
You are lucky (and young) - my Dad's shingles cracked open, it was nasty... about a foot or so across his rib cage and back.
Agggghhhhhhhhhhh...

You look like you've been in a motorcycle accident. Also...on your neck? I'm getting a Zsasz vibe from you.

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
also, try an oatmeal bath!
I had no idea this was a thing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2015, 12:21 PM

Was on a nightmare shoot in West Virginia. We had one day off, and the people who didn't suck decide to drive to the ocean.

Looking on a map, the punker assistant camera sees "Slaughter Beach" in Delaware and says "oh yeah... that's where we're going.

Once there, we notice the first reason it got its name. This was the place where all the horseshoe crabs in the world come to die. Thousands and thousands of them.

Like most dead things, they don't smell great.

It took us half the day to get there, and it's going to take us half the day back, so we didn't have a lot of other options. I didn't drive all the way out to the ocean not to go in. Even that was a pain in my ass, since it was low tide and I needed to go out about a mile for the water to get neck deep.

About a week later, everything which wasn't an arm, leg, or face, was covered in mosquito bite sized, itchy welts. Thousands of them. As if there were one for every dead crab. Went to the derma at lightspeed. He said, "you got it from the water... nothing you can do about it, it's going to last a week and go away, but will scare the shit out of you the whole time".

That was the actual quote.

When I got home, for whatever reason I decide to pull out a map and look one more time at the source of all my problems.

I notice two things.

First, Slaughter Beach is on Delaware Bay. We never got to the ocean.

The second thing I noticed is its placed such that when New Jersey takes a dump, that's where it's gonna go. That's the other reason it got its name.

This was my introduction to the oatmeal bath. I had repressed the memory. Thanks a lot.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2015, 12:48 PM

Was on a nightmare shoot in West Virginia. We had one day off, and the people who didn't suck decide to drive to the ocean.

Looking on a map, the punker assistant camera sees "Slaughter Beach" in Delaware and says "oh yeah... that's where we're going.

Once there, we notice the first reason it got its name. This was the place where all the horseshoe crabs in the world come to die. Thousands and thousands of them.

Like most dead things, they don't smell great.

It took us half the day to get there, and it's going to take us half the day back, so we didn't have a lot of other options. I didn't drive all the way out to the ocean not to go in. Even that was a pain in my ass, since it was low tide and I needed to go out about a mile for the water to get neck deep.

About a week later, everything which wasn't an arm, leg, or face, was covered in mosquito bite sized, itchy welts. Thousands of them. As if there were one for every dead crab. Went to the derma at lightspeed. He said, "you got it from the water... nothing you can do about it, it's going to last a week and go away, but will scare the shit out of you the whole time".

That was the actual quote.

When I got home, for whatever reason I decide to pull out a map and look one more time at the source of all my problems.

I notice two things.

First, Slaughter Beach is on Delaware Bay. We never got to the ocean.

The second thing I noticed is its placed such that when New Jersey takes a dump, that's where it's gonna go. That's the other reason it got its name.

This was my introduction to the oatmeal bath. I had repressed the memory. Thanks a lot.

Sorry. If it makes you feel any better, I 'swam' in the East River in NYC once. I was on a 40ft boat (a '66 Trojan). We had only a NY telephone book's map as a guide through the city's waterways. We took a shortcut around Randall's Island because it would save an hour en route to Long Island.

Long story short, the boat bottomed near Randall's Island - a bunch of us had to get out to pull the boat out of the sludge.
Unfortunately the sludge had the consistency of pudding, and it had odd lumpy things in it. And it was pitch black. Standing in one place for more than a minute would cause you to get sucked down like quick sand. It was so nasty.... when we finally got the boat into deeper water, we climbed aboard. Our mucky black foot prints were all over the deck - it wasn't long before all those footprints dissolved the paint, the paint started coming off in footprint size sheets. Horrid water. Thankfully our feet were only beet red and suffered no damage.

Moral of the story is: Don't go into the water unless it's crystal clear and has live fish swimming around in it. Dead crabs don't count.
Good maps are helpful too.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2015, 12:59 PM

Around here, in the river and the lake, we get what are colloquially known as "fecal greaseballs".

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2015, 01:46 PM

Around here, in the river and the lake, we get what are colloquially known as "fecal greaseballs".
dafuq?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2015, 04:18 PM

Speaking of fecal greaseballs, anyone catch that alligator surgery on PBS last night? Thing had to be put to sleep because of a rather severe impaction.

Rumor
Jul 17, 2015, 05:27 PM

[EDIT] Really weird joke removed.

Two weeks after my wife and I were married, I had a dream where I was standing at the edge of a pier overlooking a lake. Since there was no one around, I took the opportunity to urinate into the lake in a very dramatic, dancelike fashion. About the time my bladder was completely empty, my eyes popped open and I realized in absolute horror that I had peed the bed for the first time since I was a toddler.

The next morning, my wife was quiet for a few minutes, then very sincerely asked, "Does this happen all the time?"

I've pissed off and pissed on my wife. The latter accidentally in a situation very similar to yours.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2015, 09:07 PM

I've pissed off and pissed on my wife. The latter accidentally in a situation very similar to yours.
Does doing that in the shower count?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2015, 09:51 AM

Haaaaaa...

You're a brave man.

Rumor
Jul 18, 2015, 11:30 AM

Doesn't every guy do that in the shower?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2015, 12:38 PM

Update: mostly gone.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2015, 01:36 PM

You're a brave man.
She said, "I dare you", don't ever dare me.

Doesn't every guy do that in the shower?
Pee on their wife? Maybe, I don't know.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2015, 01:37 PM

mas coo

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2015, 06:16 PM

Learn more about some people in one thread than 7 years lurking. I love the Lounge.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2015, 06:37 PM

Update: Still spreading. Went back to the doctor and got a shot that took some of the redness down. Still on Prednisone taper.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2015, 11:08 PM

Took Prednisone for laryngitis. Knocked my blood sugar so out of whack I had a constant salty taste in my mouth. Really obnoxious.

Then, I get a massive head injury (explains a lot, amirite?) and vegetate in the ICU for three days in a Michael Jackson style coma.

I come to... laryngitis is gone.

andi*pandi
Jul 19, 2015, 08:08 AM

healing power of comas.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 19, 2015, 09:34 AM

Massive head injury because you "weren't yourself" and fell/stumbled/did something dumb? Steroids mess with everyone's blood sugar, and the amazing part is that so few people are told about this ahead of time. Prednisone is notorious for doing this, and one side effect people DO get told of is "you might get really hungry." Ravenous isn't uncommon. But do the docs tell you "this is because your blood sugar is going to be stupid out of whack"? No, they do not...

Anyway, comas are useful for healing. They tend to lead to a need for rehab, because when you're in a coma you lose strength and endurance. But the coma was almost certainly all about the head injury. The brain likes to shut down almost everything when it's healing, and several days being OUT is pretty typical after a head injury. I'm glad you were able to recover.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2015, 12:04 PM

Essentially right on all counts.

The "not myself" part was a seizure, which was not myself because it had never happened to me as an adult.

Side of my head took a six-foot drop onto hardwood.

Forum Links
Forum Rules