Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Stock Advice

Stock Advice
Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2002, 09:14 PM

Probably already posted, but worthy of a repost anyway.
__________________________________________________ _______

If you had bought $1000.00 worth of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now be worth $49.00.
With Enron, you would have $16.50 of the original $1,000.00.
With Worldcom, you would have less than $5.00 left.
If you had bought $1,000.00 worth of Budweiser (the beer, not the stock) one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the 10 cent deposit, you would have $214.00.
Based on the above, my current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle.

dawho9
Senior User
Aug 4, 2002, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Teronzhul:
Probably already posted, but worthy of a repost anyway.
__________________________________________________ _______

If you had bought $1000.00 worth of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now be worth $49.00.
With Enron, you would have $16.50 of the original $1,000.00.
With Worldcom, you would have less than $5.00 left.
If you had bought $1,000.00 worth of Budweiser (the beer, not the stock) one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the 10 cent deposit, you would have $214.00.
Based on the above, my current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle.
Of course, if you have put $1000.00 dollars into NBC Capital Corp on Aug 4, 01, you would have $1295.00 today.

Of course this coming from someone who has lost 40% of my retirement fund in the past 3 months. Thank god I am young enough to get it back.

Later,

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2002, 10:12 PM

Why do newbie investors always look at the stock market with reverse logic? Maybe I once did too, I just can't remember it!

What does it tell you, that something that people once traded for $1000 is now trading at $49? That you should have bought it at $1000!?! Why!?!

Somehow people have an inate sense to see how investing works with tangible things. If someone is selling a house (a tangible investment) that once was going for $500,000 for $35,000... what does that tell you? "Gee, I'm a chump for not being around when it was $500,000!"

How about, BARGAIN HUNTING TIME!?

What about a car (another tangible investment)- was $35,000 now $3,000? What are most people going to be doing, BUYING or trying to sell at those prices? Are more people nitwits? I dunno, maybe so.

Here's one for ya... during the last bargain hunters dream come true (read 'recession' of the early 90's) $10,000 invested across a fairly diverse tech portfolio is now worth $827,000.

How 'bout 'dem apples?

Stock market is 'low'? Unless you're grandpa smith looking to cash out your retirement, that means it's time to BUY, not gripe about selling prices. It's a BUYER'S market. If you're young, that's exactly what you should be doing right now. Worry about a seller's market in 30-40 years. And don't be a chump in the meantime, sock away your profits along the way.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 4, 2002, 10:51 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 3, 2004 at 11:02 AM. )

Patrick
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 02:21 AM

I'll second that. I'm not much of an investor myself, though� if you could just tell me which stocks will go up, feel free to message me. If you have inside tips, I won't tell anyone�

The economy will recover. The only question is when that will start to happen.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2002, 01:32 PM

I had a conversation with my stock broker early this morning; he asked me if I wanted fries with my Egg McMuffin!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules