Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Moving. I HATE moving.

Moving. I HATE moving.
Railroader
Banned
May 16, 2007, 03:36 PM

As I stated earlier in a different thread, I was contemplating a move. Well, it looks like we are going to take the positions and move.

We are not moving to the West side of Indy, but to the East side. It's a very rural setting, I am going down the 23rd to check it out.

And now the wonderful process of packing, throwing out, selling, and all around chaos that I hate that comes with moving everything you own from one location to another. I also get to try to sell my house for less than I pad for it 5 years ago due to the market being horrendous!

So, anyone familiar with the East side of Indy? Schools? Zoos? Entertainment/Shopping? Parks, camping, and places I need to see?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2007, 04:15 PM

Moving sucks.

But not as much as not moving. As in; find a fantastic house, put an offer in, have offer accepted, send surveyor in, start to pack, get report off surveyor stating that the house has incurable rising damp and that whole thing is held together with woodworm droppings. Back to square one.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
May 16, 2007, 04:19 PM

You make a valid point!

That sucks.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Finding a fantastic house, putting an offer in, have offer accepted, sending surveyor in, starting to pack, getting report off surveyor stating that the house has incurable rising damp and that whole thing is held together with woodworm droppings. Back to square one. sucks,
But not as much as finding a fantastic house, putting an offer in, have offer accepted, moving in, then finding that the house has incurable rising damp and that whole thing is held together with woodworm droppings...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 04:41 PM

For those of us who were formerly unfamiliar with woodworms...

And yes, moving absolutely sucks. I hate it with a passion, and I've had to do it many times.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 04:51 PM

My wife and I are moving for the 2nd time in less than a year. In November we moved about 30 miles (much nicer condo) and did it all ourselves. 1 Bedroom worth. Never again.
We're moving at the end of July and have paid a mover to pack out entire condo and move it for us.

I hate moving.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
But not as much as finding a fantastic house, putting an offer in, have offer accepted, moving in, then finding that the house has incurable rising damp and that whole thing is held together with woodworm droppings...
This be a truth.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 05:14 PM

Moving sucks.

But not as much as not moving. As in; find a fantastic house, put an offer in, have offer accepted, send surveyor in, start to pack, get report off surveyor stating that the house has incurable rising damp and that whole thing is held together with woodworm droppings. Back to square one.
That's why one hires a house inspector and makes the purchase contingent on the inspection. My youngest daughter found a nice starter home when she got married. They made an offer, based on the inspection, and when the inspector was done, the deal was off. The house would have needed almost $50K to make it livable, despite the fact that it looked nice.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

wolfen
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
We are not moving to the West side of Indy, but to the East side. It's a very rural setting, I am going down the 23rd to check it out.
Wait...let me get this straight.

The holy light of Heaven shone down upon you, and blessed you with permission to leave behind the masses of suffering Michigan residents (where they are tormented by demons for eternity), and upon being granted that golden ticket, you chose Indiana as your destination?

I'm just playin'. I have moved 10x in the past 15 years. Here's my unsolicited and soon-to-be-ignored advice:

1) Hire people to load your stuff into the truck once you've packed it.

2) See #1.

3) No, seriously. I'm not kidding. A foursome of drunken teenagers will do a better job and you will have more energy for the unpacking extravaganza. And you won't be so snippy to your partner.

4) This is the most important: Treat your partner (if you have one) like gold throughout the move. Be protective of their energy level and mood at all times. This will take your mind off yourself and will reap many rewards.

5) Throw out anything that a jury of your peers wouldn't keep. The prosecutor in your head should be yelling all kinds of profanities about "having too much crap" and so on. If you are moving it from one place you never look to another place you never look, just trash it.

6) Don't keep all the new rooms and decor the same. You're tired of it. You really are. Trash as much of the dust-ridden old junk as your partner will allow.

7) You should be halfway packed by now.

8) When your partner starts a sentence with "Where's the ..." just look for it. Nobody likes a smartas$.

9) Keep a boombox handy, and keep the music playing. Most suicides involve boxcutters and the desperate silence preceding a move.

10) On your way out of the old place, don't bleed on anything you'd have to replace.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 05:23 PM

What was that about what you know to be useful or believe to be beautiful? Throw the rest away.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
That's why one hires a house inspector and makes the purchase contingent on the inspection.
Exactly what happened here. I don't know how the house buying process goes over there (laws, etc.) but what you've just described is the standard process here. Only money lost was the cost of the survey (about $3k).

I'm just pissed 'coz it was in a very sweet location and now I've gotta start looking again.

Rumor
May 16, 2007, 05:39 PM

RR, what about using your existing home as an income property?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 07:37 PM

I also get to try to sell my house for less than I pad for it 5 years ago due to the market being horrendous!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 08:00 PM

I hate moving. And I sorta do it every summer.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
May 16, 2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
Wait...let me get this straight.

The holy light of Heaven shone down upon you, and blessed you with permission to leave behind the masses of suffering Michigan residents (where they are tormented by demons for eternity), and upon being granted that golden ticket, you chose Indiana as your destination?

I'm just playin'.
Something like that.

Actually, it is a position with a missionary organization. I will essentially be a missionary. Just not in the traditional sense.
I have moved 10x in the past 15 years. Here's my unsolicited and soon-to-be-ignored advice:
Fire away!
1) Hire people to load your stuff into the truck once you've packed it.
GREAT ADVICE. Unfortunately I won't be listening to it. I have a couple friends who can move a whole house in about 30 minutes. I am not lying. I have seen them do it. the only help you need give them is to stay the hell out of their way.
2) See #1.
More great advice. I also have a whole Church full of volunteers who will be coming in the day before moving and packing everything.
3) No, seriously. I'm not kidding. A foursome of drunken teenagers will do a better job and you will have more energy for the unpacking extravaganza. And you won't be so snippy to your partner.
Even more great advice, and thanks for it. But...
4) This is the most important: Treat your partner (if you have one) like gold throughout the move. Be protective of their energy level and mood at all times. This will take your mind off yourself and will reap many rewards.
I have put her 100% in charge of the kids and nothing else. I am in charge of the move and with all the help I have she be having a great day. There will also be people who will be along just for the social aspect of the move.
5) Throw out anything that a jury of your peers wouldn't keep. The prosecutor in your head should be yelling all kinds of profanities about "having too much crap" and so on. If you are moving it from one place you never look to another place you never look, just trash it.
We are having a huge sale this weekend. It is the weekend of the local festival and there is a lot of foot traffic past our house this time of year.

We are selling/donating about 50% of our possessions. About 25% is going to be stored in various locations, and the last 25% is coming with us. We are leaving the major appliances with the house to help with the sale.
6) Don't keep all the new rooms and decor the same. You're tired of it. You really are. Trash as much of the dust-ridden old junk as your partner will allow.
The new house is 90% furnished. The only thing we really need is our personal touches and bedroom furniture.
7) You should be halfway packed by now.
ARG!!!!$$%@@!!!
8) When your partner starts a sentence with "Where's the ..." just look for it. Nobody likes a smartas$.
Ya think?
9) Keep a boombox handy, and keep the music playing. Most suicides involve boxcutters and the desperate silence preceding a move.
Music and beer will be flowing. Some of the Church people will frown on it, but the two guys who are going to be doing the majority of the work will require it.
10) On your way out of the old place, don't bleed on anything you'd have to replace.
It is amazing how many spills we have had since we listed it on the market. A 3 year old is a walking stain creator.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
May 16, 2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
RR, what about using your existing home as an income property?
Been thinking about that. But, I will be a few hundred miles away, and I don't want to burden my family with maintenance. And with some recent experience a friend has had with a very nice home and some renters who caused 10's of thousands of $ in damages I and a little gun shy.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
May 16, 2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
You're telling me! Who ever said real estate doesn't drop in value? An idiot, that's who.

And the worst thing is that it is not an expensive home by any stretch of the imagination. I can't image how badly the premium market is/going to the get hurt.

The bubble has burst, (and dried up and faded away.)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 08:11 PM

Are you sure you need to cash out now? It's likely to recover in the next few years.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
May 16, 2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Are you sure you need to cash out now? It's likely to recover in the next few years.
Houses that sit vacant don't usually do too well I have found. I'd have to pay someone to keep the lawn mown, keep coming back and inspecting, pay for insurance/taxes. I'll be living 5 hours away from it.

It's just something I'd just like to get off my back and drop the money in a long-term investment somewhere else.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 08:21 PM

Well, I wasn't suggesting you let it sit vacant, you could rent it is what I meant.

Rumor
May 16, 2007, 08:22 PM

Been thinking about that. But, I will be a few hundred miles away, and I don't want to burden my family with maintenance. And with some recent experience a friend has had with a very nice home and some renters who caused 10's of thousands of $ in damages I and a little gun shy.
You can always require them to carry Renter's Insurance with say 500000 or more in liability. That way, if they do cause lots of damage, you can get the money from the insurance company.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
May 16, 2007, 08:26 PM

Good idea Rumor. I see I need to investigate this a little more.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 08:33 PM

You can always go through an agency that would carry good insurance. Even if you don't make any money, you preserve your equity and the ability to cash out at a more favorable time in the market.

Rumor
May 16, 2007, 08:41 PM

Excellent point peeb.

Century 21 often does rental management.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
May 16, 2007, 08:43 PM

I will call them tomorrow (hopefully).

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 08:59 PM

I'm moving in the next few weeks too.
Once I get married in June I will be moving locally though. Good luck with your move and don't be afraid of the marketplace forum.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
May 16, 2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I'm moving in the next few weeks too.
Once I get married in June I will be moving locally though. Good luck with your move and don't be afraid of the marketplace forum.
Good luck with your move.

I am not selling any computer stuff. Mostly furniture, clothes, and a lot of tools. I will probably put some stuff up on craigslist in a day or two.

ghporter
Administrator
May 16, 2007, 09:47 PM

One thing that being career military does for you is that it makes you less sensitive to those annoying, very regular moves. Like every 2 - 4 years. One learns to live light and keep less stuff when one gets moved across the country and around the world every now and then. Not that I learned that lesson very well (I retired two years ago and I'm still getting rid of files and stuff that I accumulated over the years), but I did make the effort.

But yes, it sucks. Like a hole in the space station. And then some.

Did I miss something about the job west of Indy? Why did you chose to move east?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader  (op)
Banned
May 16, 2007, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Did I miss something about the job west of Indy? Why did you chose to move east?
A few months ago I thought I would be on the west side of Indy and now it looks like we will be on the east side, out in the country around Post Rd. and 52.

One of the reasons I "retired" last summer was to be able to take advantage of offers such as this. I will be working with abandoned and orphaned youth. Taking them in as family.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 11:08 PM

I know you have this under control, but I too say let other people do the schlepping. Every $ you spend on this is a $ spent on your sanity. It really is worth it. We need to get a bunch of stuff from our house in Toronto to our new home in the country and I too am hiring muscle to deal with the heavy lifting.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 11:36 PM

I move a lot too. But I am the muscle, baby.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 17, 2007, 12:01 AM

Congrats on the new job. (And sorry about the moving...)

I've had to move a couple of times, and each time was such a pain, except for the last time when we hired movers. That made things much more bearable.

Hopefully, this will be the last time I'll have to move for many, many years.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 12:10 AM

Like anyone enjoys moving.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 17, 2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Like anyone enjoys moving.

don't get me wrong, I can't wait to move out of this place. my deadbeat landlord doesn't pay the utilities on time (and so they got shut off) and he is a general pain to deal with. and one of my apartment mates is way too messy. yea, I am glad I am moving, just not excited over packing boxes and driving back and forth to the new place.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 17, 2007, 07:44 AM

As I stated [I also get to try to sell my house for less than I pad for it 5 years ago due to the market being horrendous!
This is reason #1 why my wife and I have not put our house on the market. The town we live in has so many houses for sale and I've read that in the Mass. foreclosures are going through the roof, this all translates to a huge glut of houses on the market.
Michael

JonoMarshall
Senior User
May 17, 2007, 08:01 AM

Heh, I really enjoy moving, but as a renter it normally just involves hiring a "White Van" and driving for a few hours... new places, people, opportunities and the like!

So far I've done a cottage in Devon (South West UK), Beach House in Cornwall (further South West UK), Harbour Side Appartment in Cornwall, Flat in East London and now a large flat in Camden, London.

I'm only young though, so I guess it's easier! Next year I'd like to be in a converted warehouse with lots of creative mates in North London.

madagaska
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2007, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
Heh, I really enjoy moving, but as a renter it normally just involves hiring a "White Van" and driving for a few hours... new places, people, opportunities and the like!

So far I've done a cottage in Devon (South West UK), Beach House in Cornwall (further South West UK), Harbour Side Appartment in Cornwall, Flat in East London and now a large flat in Camden, London.

I'm only young though, so I guess it's easier! Next year I'd like to be in a converted warehouse with lots of creative mates in North London.
mmm... sounds good! Only having to be responsible (at times) for yourself... nice way to stay.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2007, 06:23 AM

MOVING SUUUUUUUUUUCKS! Good luck
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Amorya
Mac Elite
May 19, 2007, 12:01 PM

I've just put in an offer on this house. All going well I should be moving in a few months.

I'll be leaving a single furnished campus room and moving into an unfurnished house. My problem will be not having enough stuff, rather than too much! I foresee trips to Ikea in the future.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2007, 03:51 PM

Moving sucks.

I bought that house, except for the damp part, and spent more than a year fixing it. Sometimes it is all about location. I figured, someone has to put this thing back in order.

Good luck with your move, Railroader

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Timo View Post
I bought that house, except for the damp part, and spent more than a year fixing it. Sometimes it is all about location. I figured, someone has to put this thing back in order.
The location was fine (sea and mountain views, no neighbours for a half mile, couple of miles from my favourite beach) but there were other factors. For example, no garage... ...and the survey turned up the fact that the local planning nazis had refused permission for the previous owners to build one (therefore I wouldn't be able to build one either). Doof without a garage = not good.

I'm not a big fan of getting workmen into somewhere I'm living either. It means I have to get up in the morning, rather than the crack of noon. I hate that. And without workmen, the job wouldn't get done 'coz I'm the World's worst DIYer.

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 19, 2007, 07:07 PM

I was just having an interesting conversation the other day with a good friend of mine on this very topic! We came to the conclusion that moving sucks.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2007, 09:57 PM

The location was fine (sea and mountain views, no neighbours for a half mile, couple of miles from my favourite beach) but there were other factors. For example, no garage... ...and the survey turned up the fact that the local planning nazis had refused permission for the previous owners to build one (therefore I wouldn't be able to build one either). Doof without a garage = not good.
No neighbors for a half mile but no permission for a garage. Woah. I worked once on a renovation job in London and noticed straight away the local council planners have incredible power. An enormous number of constraints in that socialist system you've got there .

I'm not a big fan of getting workmen into somewhere I'm living either. It means I have to get up in the morning, rather than the crack of noon. I hate that. And without workmen, the job wouldn't get done 'coz I'm the World's worst DIYer.
Yep, a drag. The plumbers are all chipper at 7 am and want to talk about stuff that doesn't matter. Trying to sound coherent in the morning -- nope, that wasn't easy.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2007, 10:15 PM

No neighbors for a half mile but no permission for a garage. Woah. I worked once on a renovation job in London and noticed straight away the local council planners have incredible power.
And you wouldn't believe how random the decision making is either. For the last few years I've been pretty close to members of the local council and I've seen it all in action. There's absolutely no logic to it at all.

For example, I couldn't knock down a brick (ugly) outbuilding and rebuild it in stone to match the house (and look nicer in the environment)... ...even though I wasn't upping the footprint or profile at all.
Yet the bloke down the road gets permission to build two houses in his garden.

An enormous number of constraints in that socialist system you've got there .
Yep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules