Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 Video Cards - 2x DVIs

G4 Video Cards - 2x DVIs
chichow
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2007, 05:05 PM

So I still have my G4 1.25 DP MDD

I currently have a 17" LCD and 24" widescreen LCD. I will end up getting a 30" LCD in a year.

Is it correct that the only two video cards that are AGP and dual DVI outs for the G4 are the
9600 Pro 256Mb
and the ATI Radeon X800 XT 256MB Video Card G4/G5

also it seems like the X800 wants more cooling? How do I do that?

Huge price difference between the two...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2007, 05:28 PM

What about the 9800?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 04:58 PM

The X800XT isn't an option, it requires a Power Mac G5 (AGP). I checked AMD/ATI's site.

Also, when you say dual DVI out, do you mean 2 DVI ports or dual-link DVI? Those are two different things. 2 DVI ports is 2 physical DVI ports, dual-link DVI is one port required for higher resolutions (like the 30" Apple Display has).
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 08:09 PM

The Radeon 9600 Pro Mac and PC Edition I believe has two DVI ports, one of which is a dual-link port supporting 30" displays. I believe that is your only option if you must have two DVI ports on one card. The alternative would be to use a second PCI video card, but expect Quartz Extreme performance to be bad.

The X800XT and Apple's OEM GeForce 6800 are G5-only cards. The Radeon 9800's for the Mac have one DVI and one VGA port.

Forum Links
Forum Rules