Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sanity check my iMac RAM purchase

Sanity check my iMac RAM purchase
chichow
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2009, 04:35 PM

Ok. Upgrading a friends iMac
2.8Ghz 24" iMac

think its this:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ryn-specs.html

So this should work right?
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...odlist=dealram

RAM Type: PC2-6400 DDR2 Min. RAM Speed: 800 MHz

Unless of course someone can find better Crucial or Mushkin, etc. RAM or is this Kingston is fine.

The reason I am being so stupid, is that I see the Ram speed is 800Mhz but the system bus speed is 1066Mhz

Thanks!

P
Mar 30, 2009, 05:24 PM

It's right. The FSB=Front Side Bus is the connection between CPU and northbridge (a chip on the motherboard), while the memory bus is the connection between the northbridge and the memory banks. They do not have to be the same speed - things other than the CPU connect to main memory, so it doesn't hurt to have some extra bandwidth there.

The clockspeeds are slightly confusing - it is actually the RAM that is faster. For dual channel memory, which you get if you pair up the memory chips like in that kit, you transfer 128 bits per cycle, while the CPU is limited to 64 bits per cycle.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 30, 2009, 05:27 PM

Kingston is a very good brand, with a very strong warranty. It looks like the part you linked to is exactly the right part.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules