Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Database Software for OS X

Database Software for OS X
OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 08:02 AM

Currently I'm learning database in my web design class using Access. I'm wondering what, if any, software out there is comparable with Access? Thanks!
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

bluedog
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 08:49 AM

Access is NOT a good database for web use. Unless you have a personal database you want to share with 3 other people.

For speed/simplicity-> MySQL
For usability/transactions/rollback->Postgresql

For a point/click interface and small hit/usage->Access or FilemakerPro

Depending on the complexity of what you want MySQL can do almost anything, but it takes some learning. Postgresql has a few extra features but is a bit more complex in setting up and using it.

For someone taking a class for web design with database back-ends, I'm surprised they are simply using Access. Unless the course is for DESIGN and not web programming.

Sounds like you want access or filemaker pro. These two will set you back some money. For future sites you create, use MySQL or Postgresql (both available via download on the web).

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 10:33 AM

If you're going to to do web database stuff, just take the time to learn SQL. If you do, it will help you with MS SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase, MySQL, and PostgreSQL. I'd recommend any of these (except for MS SQL Server) for web application back-end. However, don't try to set up Oracle or sybase yourself -- that is really the domain of a DBA.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

OptimusG4  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by bluedog:
Access is NOT a good database for web use. Unless you have a personal database you want to share with 3 other people.

For speed/simplicity-> MySQL
For usability/transactions/rollback->Postgresql

For a point/click interface and small hit/usage->Access or FilemakerPro

Depending on the complexity of what you want MySQL can do almost anything, but it takes some learning. Postgresql has a few extra features but is a bit more complex in setting up and using it.

For someone taking a class for web design with database back-ends, I'm surprised they are simply using Access. Unless the course is for DESIGN and not web programming.

Sounds like you want access or filemaker pro. These two will set you back some money. For future sites you create, use MySQL or Postgresql (both available via download on the web).
Yea, I realize that Access is terrible, believe me I can't figure out why either. I was told about MySQL, so I'll look into that. How hard is it to learn on your own?

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Yea, I realize that Access is terrible, believe me I can't figure out why either. I was told about MySQL, so I'll look into that. How hard is it to learn on your own?

Learning MySQL is trivial. Learning SQL is not. If you don't know SQL, there are lots of resources on the internet, and getting a good book for a reference is a good idea.

All you do to install MySQL is go download the packages and install them from here:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/mysql/

Once it's installed and running, you can access it a variety of ways.

1) You can use the 'mysql' command line tool. This is fine for tinkering around or setting up tables
2) You can use a GUI tool like SQLGrinder (http://www.advenio.com), which is wonderful (I bought it and use it daily)
3) You could use PHPmyAdmin (a PHP module for your apache web server) to configure MySQL.
4) You could do your code development (java? perl? PHP?) and create your tables and data programatically.

OptimusG4  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 08:43 AM

Hmm, what would WebObjects be used for then? Thanks for the help so far

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Hmm, what would WebObjects be used for then? Thanks for the help so far
WebObjects is two things. First, it is a web application development framework (like J2EE/struts).

Second it is a web application server (like WebLogic, tomcat, or JBoss) to serve either WebObjects or J2EE applications.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
3) You could use PHPmyAdmin (a PHP module for your apache web server) to configure MySQL.
It's not a module - it's a set of PHP files and it'll work on any web server that supports PHP.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
It's not a module - it's a set of PHP files and it'll work on any web server that supports PHP.

Amorya
This is correct, assuming the web server has PHP support. OS X comes with apache however, so it makes sense that it would be installed there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules