Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > goodbye buymusic.com

goodbye buymusic.com
OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 02:01 AM

According to an e-mail sent to prior customers of BuyMusic.com (link intentionally left out), the online store will become "integrated" with its parent site, Buy.com, within several days. What this means to the fate of what was once called "The World�s Largest Download Music Store" is unclear.

Launched before iTunes for Windows, BuyMusic.com initially expected to sell one million songs per day � or 200 to 300 in the first year � according to estimates by founder and CEO Scott Blum. When re-interviewed in December, Blum offered no statistics, but did say, "We�re nowhere near Apple�s numbers."
Couldn't find any definite link for backup on this, but I read this over at Spymac earlier and was intrigued.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 02:15 AM

With all of the new stores coming out, I wonder who will remain on top. I figure there will be 2, possibly three that stay in the game for the long run. I do hope that one of those will be mac compatible.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 28, 2004, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
With all of the new stores coming out, I wonder who will remain on top. I figure there will be 2, possibly three that stay in the game for the long run. I do hope that one of those will be mac compatible.
It wont be Wal-Mart, thats for sure. That is, unless the music buyer mindset changes drastically and people suddenly want to buy crappy pop rock with edited lyrics.

As much as I don't like to dismiss Microsoft, I don't think they'll stay in the business for long.

If I had to guess, I think it is going to be a two way battle between Apple and Sony.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 04:16 AM

Scott Blum is a tool.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
It wont be Wal-Mart, thats for sure. That is, unless the music buyer mindset changes drastically and people suddenly want to buy crappy pop rock with edited lyrics.

As much as I don't like to dismiss Microsoft, I don't think they'll stay in the business for long.

If I had to guess, I think it is going to be a two way battle between Apple and Sony.
I think the one with the most outreach (first) will get it. America service is great for me, but there's, you know, the other parts of the world
I don't think the new services that are available overseas only that just came out or announced will last long, I think they're just filling a void until a major player fills that gap.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2004, 05:15 PM

I think Apple has to seriously start considering where AAC's going. I'm completely ignorant of the details on the Windows side, but of course only iTunes seems to be able to play AAC files (of the "major" audio players anyway). This is an inevitable route to failure, I think.

Unless more players (both software and hardware) start adopting AAC, Microsoft will just eventually force the AAC format out through sheer weight of numbers. It looks great right now, of course, but it's really a similar situation as the computer market in the late 80s � Apple's solution is not the cheapest, and Microsoft's is. Eventually they'll get it ~85% right; they can just throw billions of dollars at it until they do!

I think if AAC becomes a standard supported format, Apple has a solid chance at remaining a force outside of the Mac market. Other MP3 players supporting AAC shouldn't hurt the iPod's market any � and then they've still got access to the Store.

Why not?

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2004, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
I think Apple has to seriously start considering where AAC's going. I'm completely ignorant of the details on the Windows side, but of course only iTunes seems to be able to play AAC files (of the "major" audio players anyway). This is an inevitable route to failure, I think.

Unless more players (both software and hardware) start adopting AAC, Microsoft will just eventually force the AAC format out through sheer weight of numbers. It looks great right now, of course, but it's really a similar situation as the computer market in the late 80s � Apple's solution is not the cheapest, and Microsoft's is. Eventually they'll get it ~85% right; they can just throw billions of dollars at it until they do!

I think if AAC becomes a standard supported format, Apple has a solid chance at remaining a force outside of the Mac market. Other MP3 players supporting AAC shouldn't hurt the iPod's market any � and then they've still got access to the Store.

Why not?

greg
Well, the thing is that AAC is an open format. WMA's not. Apple can't use WMA legally without paying royalties.

I myself hope Apple keeps up the good fight for AAC. With the success of the iTMS and the iPod Mini, they have a chance at least...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

tavilach
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 08:29 PM

AAC is amazing...I love my 99 iTMS songs...
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2004, 08:41 PM

heh, is this the first service to go under?

[edit: well, I guess they have not gone under yet, but if they did...]

-Owl

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2004, 12:44 AM

My understanding is that Real has begun supporting AAC with its music store (with the same DRM scheme that Apple uses ... so they should be interchangeably playable). This is a great boost for Apple/AAC.

Maybe, if we're lucky, the two players left standing will be Apple and Real. It'd give both iTMS/iPod and Real users an actual choice without leaving all of their music purchased on one "stranded" if they ever wanted to switch.

Oh, BTW .. F#ck Microsoft.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2004, 01:17 AM

I think Real's going down the tubes. But any support for AAC is good of course.

I know Apple can't use WMA without bending over for Microsoft. But they should be making it as easy as possible for everyone else to use AAC, too! That's the only way the format will be embraced.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2004, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
I think Real's going down the tubes. But any support for AAC is good of course.

I know Apple can't use WMA without bending over for Microsoft. But they should be making it as easy as possible for everyone else to use AAC, too! That's the only way the format will be embraced.

greg
AAC is an open standard. Other vendors don't need Apple's help to use it.

The only thing specific to Apple about their AAC files is their DRM scheme. AAC itself is wide open.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules