Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Buzz/Whistle/High pitch tone on file copies

Buzz/Whistle/High pitch tone on file copies
swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 29, 2008, 11:04 AM

Just got my 24" C2D 2.4ghz iMac and I've noticed not every time I copy a file but somewhat regularly I can hear a faint high pitch "tone" from inside the iMac. I hit the volume mute key two times (mute then unmute) and this makes it stop. Should I be worried about this or is it no big deal.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008, 06:33 PM

I think it's just wind from the files as they fly to the destination folder. They must be going VERY fast.

Really, though, that's the first I've heard of that type of issue.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

ibook_steve
Jan 29, 2008, 06:49 PM

The disk activity (motor) is affecting your sound system in some way. Have you replaced the drive at all recently? There's not much you can do about this short of a logic board replacement or trying a different hard drive. Sound systems have filtering to prevent magnetic fields from things like hard drives from affecting the sound, but something might be slightly off on your machine. If it's still under warranty and it's really bothering you (and you haven't replace the hard drive), take it in for a repair.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 29, 2008, 07:55 PM

I can definitely live with it so long as its not gonna lead to bigger problems. The iMac is only a few days old. I've got 3yr Apple care so I'll just be sure my dataz are backed up and see how it goes.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Forum Links
Forum Rules