Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen Protectors: Keyboard Covers vs. Whole Screen Covers

Screen Protectors: Keyboard Covers vs. Whole Screen Covers
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2003, 01:45 PM

I've search and read a lot around here about screen protectors. I like the one from Marware ($6.95) but it only covers the keyboard. I also like the one from Radtech ($17.49) which covers the whole screen. But I don't want to pay more than I need to.

Is a keyboard cover enough?

Thanks!

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by TribeLeader:
I've search and read a lot around here about screen protectors. I like the one from Marware ($6.95) but it only covers the keyboard. I also like the one from Radtech ($17.49) which covers the whole screen. But I don't want to pay more than I need to.

Thanks!
I'd pick up the full screen cover. On my 17" I found that the lid/screen would rub around the edges of the base and leave a thin black line wherever it touched (i.e. around the whole base). I still had the original packing and being a cheap punk I just used the included screen protector. Even after my friend ripped it to shreds and I had to tape it back together. Tangent over, get a full screen cover and enjoy.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

djjava
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 03:18 PM

keyboard cover from Marware also provides some cushion, and is less visually disruptive.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2003, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning toward getting one of the full screen covers, even though they cost more.

I've heard the most about Radtech screen protectors around here, but I also like the ones from Shaggymac and JRHill as well, so right now it's a toss-up between those.

Shaggymac ($12.95)

Radtech ($12.95)

JR Hill & Company ($17.49, leather; $9.99, vinyl)

Marware ($6.95)

BlueCat
Nov 21, 2003, 10:57 AM

I'm being a scumbag, still using the original packaging insert!!! Plus, we don't geet so many different options in Australia. I think the only only local is the ACME (I think), basically the one that goes over the screen/lid (i.e. covers screen and outside casing).
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2003, 11:56 AM

Just found out, my PB shipped today (and my wife's too), so I need to move on a couple more accessories, including the screensavers.

I did a search here on MacNN for "shaggymac" and got 4 results; a search of "radtech" got 83. Is there a reason the radtech is more popular, or will I be fine with the Shaggymac? Thanks!

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2003, 12:10 PM

Maybe it's because the Shaggymac is pretty new ...

Press Release

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2003, 12:12 PM

I don't know of any reason why RadTech would be better than any other screen cover manufacturer. In fact, looking at the link you provided, I would stray away from it. The problem I explained in my first post occurs in the exact area that the RadTech fails to cover.

I would suggest trying out the cheapo screen cover that will be coming with your PB. They're pretty durable and free.99 and don't look horrendous. Maybe you could save a bit and put that money towards another peripheral, say a Logitech MX500 mouse.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

stotan
Nov 21, 2003, 02:01 PM

Thanks!
I just use the screen protector that came with the powerbook when i first got it!

dufffader
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2003, 12:11 PM

Thanks!
Hi... I've been using a leather keyboard cover from Other World Computing for more than a year already, and I find it more than adequate on my 15" Tibook.

meatyocre
Dec 7, 2003, 10:44 AM

I would suggest ShaggyMac screen protector. They specialize in screen care/ protection. I ordered one last week. (12" PB G4 Shaguar) I received it in two days and the sent a free LCD cleaning cloth/kit. They even make custom build-to-order screen protectors...how cool. Oh yeah and the price was very reasonable.

www.shaggymac.com

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2003, 01:38 PM

Depends on whether it's an al or a ti but I've got the iSkin keyboard protector, and it looks cool and adds springiness to my tibook's keypad. Plus I like that I can just leave it on.

As long as I clean it every so often my screen stays unmarked.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2003, 03:57 PM

BTW, both my wife and I went with the ShaggyMac and are very happy with them, so far.

domymel
Dec 7, 2003, 05:01 PM

what about the macally ones- you put them right on the screen, no extra stuff to carry around and it protects it all the time!

jamester
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2003, 08:32 PM

I'm using an my old iBook protector from radtech right now, but looking to get something more specifically made for my powerbook. I like the shaggymac ones so far, though it'll probably be a few weeks before I place my order.
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

krux`
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 01:57 AM

cehck out the one i just bought from radtech!

There are alot of imitators, however the material RadTech uses is a Very unique one! Its as if they made it with this in mind,, you can put it thru water, do whatever, when it dries its like when it first came.. Highly recommended for iPod And powerbook!
15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules