Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Macworld Prediction Thread

Macworld Prediction Thread (Page 5)
MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jan 13, 2008, 05:55 PM

Two years ago Steve Jobs mentioned that the release of the new version of Shake would be the last. Shake and Motion were going to be replaced with a new app in 2008 - code named Phenomenon.

I am guessing this new app will be released in a few days because they have already updated the Mac Pros with some serious power, so they can focus on something else during the keynote.

I am a compositor/animator so I am really looking forward to seeing this new app. I never thought much of Motion...the workflow was a little clunky compared to After Effects. Shake is a great app, but like the older versions of Logic, it isn't very 'mac like.'

So here's to seeing an amazing new Killer App on tuesday!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2008, 05:59 PM

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2008, 07:11 PM

Seriously? No USB ports? No power port? Give me a break.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by MOTHERWELL View Post
Two years ago Steve Jobs mentioned that the release of the new version of Shake would be the last. Shake and Motion were going to be replaced with a new app in 2008 - code named Phenomenon.

I am guessing this new app will be released in a few days because they have already updated the Mac Pros with some serious power, so they can focus on something else during the keynote.

I am a compositor/animator so I am really looking forward to seeing this new app. I never thought much of Motion...the workflow was a little clunky compared to After Effects. Shake is a great app, but like the older versions of Logic, it isn't very 'mac like.'

So here's to seeing an amazing new Killer App on tuesday!
May be true, but doesn't Apple usually use professional expos, like NAB, to introduce that kind of stuff?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
As goofy as it seems I can totally see Apple doing something like that.

They like to do things just because they can.

Take the Mini for instance. Everyone was always complaining about how big computers were and... oh wait, no they weren't. No one cared how big desktop computers were... yet Apple decided to show us how small the could make one.

Just like everyone hating buttons on mice, and cooling fans, etc...

I mean, it would be cool to have a small laptop with no wires, but is it practical? Especially the USB part.

And how would you charge it on the road?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
No, not seriously. It's a mockup.

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2008, 08:34 PM

I really would like to have such a laptop and forget about charging it while being mobile or carrying the power supply. Seems that a low power processor would keep the device cold and the battery life long. A new way of thinking different, a perfect and radical new concept for a now to days mobile computing and finally a good replacement to my still highly usable Pismo.

IMPO the "There's something in the air" deals more with some kind of digital content to air or broadcast. For me seems interesting that no rumor site has pointed to an "iPod Air" or an "iPod Book". For rumor sites the only hardware related to Air is a Macbook. What if Air could be a new kind of software or service. From Aqua to Air... seems Apple is evolving, why the word "Air" became lately so important?

"Cables not included"? Then it needs indeed cables?

Best Regards
( Last edited by darkmatter; Jan 13, 2008 at 09:06 PM. )

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
You guys come up with the worst predictions. Thunderclap Newman songs, jagged wrinkled banners, wireless electricity, and wireless cinema displays will have nothing to do with what is released. Seriously, Apple is trying to sell products with mass appeal, not to nerds who want to unplug their display and move it 10 feet over, or people who want to be able to sync their iPods from the toilet.

It's a good thing they don't let Apple fans make product decisions, otherwise Apple would make the most pointless stuff.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2008, 09:27 PM

Given the paucity of leaks, especially since its just a few days to MacWorld, I think the "best" we can hope for in terms of new computer introductions is a refresh of the 17" and 15" MacBook Pro, with likely a 13" MacBook Pro. I'm beginning to think that an Apple "ultralight" will not happen. The 13" MacBook Pro I'm sure will be more like a MacBook in Pro's clothing (thin aluminum case), but will be more similar to a MacBook than a MacBook Pro, just as Apple's 12" PowerBook G4 was to its iBook cousin. Maybe a Mac mini refresh to the same chipset with X3100 graphics like the MacBooks.

I think Steve will use up the time talking about the iPod, iPhone, iTunes.... Maybe a 16GB iPhone. Movie rentals through iTunes seems like a lock, as does iTunes-compatible movie files on Fox (and probably other studios) DVDs.

But in the end, Apple's stock price will of course drop by at least 5% because of the hype and "letdown." And we'll be again wondering why its called "MacWorld" and not "AppleWorld."

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 12:43 AM

If the "Air" thing works and is not a pain in the ass... I'm all for it.

I'm all about new ideas at this point because I see a lot of monotony in new hardware. My thing is that it works and works well.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 12:51 AM

Well, "Air" could also refer to a very lightweight product line.

Would fit the whole "ultra-portable" thinggy.

-t

iM@k
Senior User
Jan 14, 2008, 01:13 AM

I just looked up Appleinsider's article on the Apple inductive power patent, and took a good look at the diagrams that were submitted with the filing. At the time we all suspected it was for IPod stuff. Lets take a look again (especially the 3rd one)...

+

+

= VERY interesting
What, me worry?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 01:27 AM

Inductive power is interesting, and adopting it would be in line with Apple being the front guard of forthcoming technologies like WiFi and Firewire. If it were used, I would think the place to implement it would be the iPod line, so that you get rid of that big connector slot, and further solidify the iPod's image as an advanced, upscale product. But I don't see any way in which it would improve the usability or value of the Mac platform.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
Lets take a look again (especially the 3rd one)...

+

= VERY interesting
No, this is not interesting, this doesn't make sense at all.

If the MacBook Air really didn't need cables (i.e. any physical connections), why the need to even cram it behind a monitor ? You could have it sit anywhere w/o the need for being physically connected.

So no, the combination of these two doesn't make sense.

-t

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 01:42 AM

Yes, exactly. The idea of a cable-less MacBook is not very interesting. It is as uninteresting as that Palm Foleo. Inductive energy isn't that crazy of an idea, but a laptop with no cables is just stupid. Imagine having to get new headphones, new speakers, etc, just because you have no inputs.

Gator Lager
Senior User
Jan 14, 2008, 01:58 AM

Breaking news, the newest Apple item.
iBoob's

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 02:12 AM

hilarious

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 10:53 AM

I just looked up Appleinsider's article on the Apple inductive power patent, and took a good look at the diagrams that were submitted with the filing. At the time we all suspected it was for IPod stuff. Lets take a look again (especially the 3rd one)...

+

+

= VERY interesting
Wow. I'm tooting my own horn here, but check out this that I drew and posted here back in '02:

2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 03:41 PM

MacBookAir = canned Palm Folio ? i highly doubt it..... althought i do see the rebirth of the 12" PowerBook or some variation there of.

MacWorld....
-iPhone stats
-iPod/iTunes stats
-iPhone 3G w/ more memory
-iPhone SDK (w/ samples)

iMacs, MacBooks, MacPros, XServe all upgraded over the past 2-3 months (im not sure about the MBPs). The oldest hardware product on shelf is the iPhone, isnt it ?

Anyway.... i think iPhone SDK will be the big thing (and rightly so)..... say hello to Newton(again)

Cheers

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 03:52 PM

Apple seems to have something big in store for us tomorrow.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 03:54 PM

Wow – has Apple ever advertised the keynote on the homepage the day before? It must be awfully big news if they’re doing that.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Wow – has Apple ever advertised the keynote on the homepage the day before? It must be awfully big news if they’re doing that.
There was a weeklong teaser campaign on the front page of Apple.com leading up to the introduction of the G4 iMac. It might not have specifically mentioned the keynote event, but given the timing, it was obviously talking about a big release at the keynote (which wound up being leaked when a Newsweek article showed up online a few hours earlier than the event in the middle of the night).

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 06:05 PM

I know it was their 30 years, but I think they had the 'eclipse' image on the front page from new year to the expo last year.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
The oldest hardware product on shelf is the iPhone, isnt it ?
The Apple Displays on sale at the moment are antiques almost.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I'm not sure that necessarily follows.

After all, in election year hype is not enough. Marketing requires hyperhype. Or iHype.

Been burned too many times to build up expectations.

I *did* feel a little more hopeful since the Mac Pros got released & announced. I like the idea that 8-core is too tiny an announcement for MacWorld.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

iM@k
Senior User
Jan 14, 2008, 10:02 PM

Uhh Kerrigan and Turtle777; I'll grant you hypothesis of an ultralight Mac laptop that is truly wireless that you slide into an iMac like docking station to turn it into a desktop system, might be a pipe dream, but to counter your retorts, please look at the two new products from IOGEAR (under 'Connectivity and Sharing solutions); which I can only assume would be accessories for my fantasy setup. Also, it tells me the idea of wireless video and USB is possible (to date I had no idea).

IOGEAR at CES 2008

And to answer the question of why they'd introducing this new wireless technology on systems and not iPods; I can only theorize that it's due to space in such devices, ie: to add inductive power to iPods would require making the devices bigger, and slim in small is Apple's design philosophy.
What, me worry?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 10:05 PM

I'm getting pretty excited for tomorrow. Whatever it is, it seems like it's going to be pretty sweet.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 10:14 PM

Uhh Kerrigan and Turtle777; I'll grant you hypothesis of an ultralight Mac laptop that is truly wireless that you slide into an iMac like docking station to turn it into a desktop system, might be a pipe dream, but to counter your retorts, please look at the two new products from IOGEAR (under 'Connectivity and Sharing solutions)
You obviously did not even remotely grasp my point.

The laptop-in-monitor is not a pipe-dream, it's a stupid effing moronic dream.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 11:19 PM

I wonder if Google's redesign of the iPhone version of Google today has anything to do with Macworld.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I wonder if Google's redesign of the iPhone version of Google today has anything to do with Macworld.
Huh?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 12:31 AM

11:08 pm eastern time

my last hurrah!

1) there will not be any new "touch" device introduced

2) "macbook air"

a. the "macbook air" will have a dock where you "load and go"

b. it has an itunes or itunes-like app to make sure you are all synced up...just like an ipod or iphone

c. no isight camera

d. two models:
32g flash drives/1 gig memory
and a duel 32g flash drive /1 gig memory

e. battery life is amazing. 10 hours on 1 charge

3) my iphone talking points from the first page of the thread

4) of course the itunes rentals + and maybe an announcement that sales of video from the itunes store tripled since the new ipod nano introduction.

6) no talk of apple tv

amen

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gator Lager View Post
Breaking news, the newest Apple item.
iBoob's

wouldn't the product do better called the booBi's?

(apologies to anyone who knows how to use apostrophes and to anyone with a sense of humor)
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 01:40 AM

I already have an iBoob.

I have to admit though, that new iBoob is a nice upgrade.

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Jan 15, 2008, 02:39 AM

Holodisplays like in Starwars, yes I said it, Starwars.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 07:09 AM

I don't care what kind of new MacBook is released, as long as the case doesn't turn brown like my original MacBook did after 2 months of use. . . .
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

PaperNotes
Jan 15, 2008, 07:39 AM

I predict:

The new Mac will be pitched as an iPhone companion much like Palm's failed Treo companion but much better.

The MacBook Airwhatever will be only half useful without an iPhone because you will able to use your T-Mobile/O2/Vodafone iPhone subscription to surf wirelessly wherever there is no Wifi.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
I predict:

The new Mac will be pitched as an iPhone companion much like Palm's failed Treo companion but much better.

The MacBook Airwhatever will be only half useful without an iPhone because you will able to use your T-Mobile/O2/Vodafone iPhone subscription to surf wirelessly wherever there is no Wifi.
God I hope not. A simple, conventional, slender laptop would make me happy. Thinner than a MacBook. +/- optical drive (with or without, doesn't matter). WLAN, BT and ethernet or at least a USB-ethernet dongle (that actually works!), and some kind of video out (VGA or DVI).

I want something smaller than my 15" MacBook Pro. So its either a full-featured small laptop (akin to the 12" PowerBook G4) or its a MacBook for me.

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 10:57 AM

All this talk of docking stations, external DVD drives, USB dongles etc seems a bit of the mark to me. These things seem a bit "bitty", a bit 1990s, and frankly not very Apple-y. Maybe a completely wireless dock with USB, drive etc is a possibility, but it seems a little bit odd for some reason.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by cSurfr View Post
I don't care what kind of new MacBook is released, as long as the case doesn't turn brown like my original MacBook did after 2 months of use. . . .
I got my case replaced for free under warranty. The new case does not exhibit the same behaviour.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 11:57 AM

There's not a whole lot that the MacBook is missing. What are you hoping for specifically?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
There's not a whole lot that the MacBook is missing. What are you hoping for specifically?
HDMI and HDCP is what I'd hope for personally. Or at least DVI and HDCP.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 12:16 PM

Apple store is down.... haha

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 12:25 PM

The Canadian analysts are claiming that Jobs is going to announce the Canadian iPhone today.

I suspect that may be true, but I also suspect they're just guessing like the rest of us.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 12:25 PM

When does it start?

"Learn to swim"

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 12:30 PM

30 minutes.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 12:34 PM

I'm still hoping that if this MacBook Air comes to be, it uses a 1.8" hard drive (i.e. the kind in the iPod Classic) instead of SSD. At least as an option. I don't mind the idea of paying some premium for ultraportability, but flash is still way more per GB than a HDD.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 12:35 PM

Sounds like a possibility.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
I'm still hoping that if this MacBook Air comes to be, it uses a 1.8" hard drive (i.e. the kind in the iPod Classic) instead of SSD.
Those 1.8" drives are insanely slow. That said, the size and weight difference is significant.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
30 minutes.
Thanks.

"Learn to swim"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2008, 12:39 PM

Is it being streamed today?

Forum Links