Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > White iPhones showing cracks

White iPhones showing cracks
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 07:57 AM

Any credence to this article on gizmodo. To be fair this is the first I've heard of it but it reminds me of the cracks that affected the G4 cube and how Apple did not handle that problem to well.

I'm probably going to get an iPhone in the near future (black 16gb) but seeing this article on the iPhone, I wanted to hear from other owners of the iPhone (white + black) regarding the plastic rear cover.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2008, 08:19 AM

If this does turn out to be a widespread issue, I'm sure Apple will replace cracked phones (like they do with the MacBook palmrests). I just wish Apple would start making its products a bit more durable. It seems like they have these problems way too often.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 08:53 AM

That's the hope, but they took the exact opposite stance with the G4 cube "Mold Lines"

If I buy one, it won't be for another couple of weeks so hopefully that will be enough time for this issue to further shake. Even if Apple doesn't respond by then, we might have a better understanding as to whether this is a large scale issue or somewhat limited in scope.

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2008, 09:23 AM

The cracks are the result of the bad quality process related to the cover,
the cover is also to thin on the edges.

Can't undestand why Apple risks to manufacture with low quality processes
and low priced materials in such a great product

Lets wait for the Serial Number to get decrypted to track good quality phones,
this behavior was experienced while the current iPod nano presented tilted screens.

Best Regards

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
It seems like they have these problems way too often.
Unfortunately I'm afarid this is a consequence of their design efforts. They're alway trying to make things smaller, thinner, lighter, etc. One way to achieve that is to use thinner case material.
( Last edited by Simon; Jul 31, 2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling)

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 09:41 AM

^ That appears to be the case. Pushing the limits can lead to problems.

ChrisF
Senior User
Jul 31, 2008, 09:45 AM

I can't say how prevalent the cracks are but I have one already showing on my white 16GB around the headphone jack and a couple around the dock connector. I'm going to wait a bit before contacting Apple in the hope that they resolve the problem.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 11:55 AM

I have the white 3G for 2 full weeks now and don't carry it in a case -- just in my pocket so it gets some abuse. And no cracks or any sign of use even anywhere on it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 12:07 PM

Front or back pocket?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 12:30 PM

I was on a flight last Sunday and playing backgammon on my iPhone when the flight attendant started talking to me about it. She had an iPhone of her own and wanted to know if I'd help her with a bunch of settings. Hers had a small scratch on the screen that she thought had come from a bunch of keys in her purse. She had since bought a case, but it does show that they are not indestructible.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2008, 09:51 PM

I got a scratch already on my screen...just from keys in my pocket...Apple def didnt make the glass like they did before...something is def different...my 1st gen iphone went thru hell and not a scratch on the screen...with phone and keys in pocket too.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Front or back pocket?
front. I don't carry anything else in that pocket though.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2008, 04:39 PM

So is it just the white ones or are cracks harder to see on black?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2008, 06:56 AM

Angelina, love, please stop spamming. Reported to your affiliate provider as well, expect your account to be yanked.

zachbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2008, 03:10 PM

I had a cracked case. Here's my blog post with pictures:

http://www.zacharybass.com/2008/08/3...ple-store.html

-zachbass
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
www.zachbass.com

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2008, 01:14 AM

Today I noticed the smallest crack near the volume buttons on my phone. It's extremely tiny, but I'm sure it will grow, and more will appear. That sounds realy pessimistic, but it's true, haha.

I'm not really upset though. I figure Apple will take care of it. I just hope it's not too much of a hassle. I'll ask about it if I ever manage to get an appointment for my cracked MacBook. Cracks are wack.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2008, 11:42 PM

So I looked at my phone under bright lights at worked today and noticed that I do not only have one crack...I have NINE! Yikes! I definitely want my phone to get replaced now, but I don't want to get another one that's just going to have the same problem.

People definitely better start looking closely at their phones. This seems to be pretty widespread.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2008, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
I got a scratch already on my screen...just from keys in my pocket.
Why in the world would you carry pointy metal objects and glass in the same pocket?

headhoncho1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2008, 10:48 PM

I don't care how geeky it looks but i have to use a holster for my iphone. Better have a scratch free and protected phone than a damaged goods....

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2008, 10:31 PM

I just noticed tonight that there is another crack near the ringer switch, but closer to the edge...almost on the back of the phone. That makes 10!

I have an appointment at the Apple Store tomorrow morning for my MacBook, but I'll ask them about this too.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2008, 09:53 PM

I exchanged my phone on Monday (8/18). As soon as he saw the cracks, the Genius gave me a replacement with no hassle.

Two days later I noticed there were already two cracks near the headphone jack and several faint cracks near the volume switch.

Today (4 days after my exchange) I noticed 28 large cracks on the right side of my phone. It looks like an eggshell.

I'm not going to exchange mine just yet because I'm sure a replacement would have the same problems, and quite frankly, I just don't have the time to keep running to the not-so-nearby Apple Store. I definitely expect Apple to do something about this though. I sent an email to the [email protected] address that's been floating around. I don't expect Steve himself to read it, but hopefully someone will. At least it adds one more voice to the crowd.

I strongly urge everyone to give your phone a thorough exam and be vocal about this issue.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2008, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
Today (4 days after my exchange) I noticed 28 large cracks on the right side of my phone. It looks like an eggshell.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...ngus/crack.jpg
While I agree with you that these cracks shouldn't be there I wouldn't call them “large”. it would be interesting to know if they grow in time or not. They are most likely caused by tensions that built up when the Plastic cooled down when the back shell was formed.

-

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2008, 10:47 PM

Well they're not large when compared to myself or a car or something, but they do cover almost an entire side of the phone. There are actually more, but that was the clearest photo I could get.

What it comes down to is that I expect a lot more for $500.

Interesting theory about the cooling plastic...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2008, 05:28 AM

I'm really glad my 16 GB is black. None of those cracks on mine. I know it's easier to see on white though so I took a bright lamp and a magnifying glass to inspect mine. Just out of curiosity. But nothing to be seen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules