Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Macs in the Media > iMac Hate comercial (on TV!)

iMac Hate comercial (on TV!)
wormman
Mar 10, 2000, 12:27 PM

Epinions.com has just gone public today. They are letting customers vote on airing an ad where a man is shooting an iMac and telling everyone how much he hates it. Please vote against this and write your opinion against this ad.

To view this commercial and vote, go here: http://www.epinions.com/tvad-iMac

To register for Epinions and to express your opinion, go here to join: http://www.epinions.com/welcome.html?member=eyestar

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2000, 10:26 PM

By now, you would think that these "dot com" companies would learn not to insult their potential customers.

anonymous
Mar 12, 2000, 07:15 PM

Heh... register with epinions... they get yer info... why do you think they made the stupid movie? They know us Mac users will rally to fight back.

Good idea, really.

mr100percent
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2000, 01:47 AM

I gotta say, this ad pulls a reaction. The beanie babies line at the end is funny, but the idea of destroying that iMac makes me feel as if that one were mine. I'd like it a lot better if it was a pc.
Somewhere, my mac fanatic portion of my brain is kicking in, saying that this is an evil ad, an ad that my enemies would shove in my face to taunt me with, because they know i have an iMac.
His gripes over no floppy drive, etc. are REALLY old, since the beginning.

gtngon
Mar 13, 2000, 12:34 PM

Another effort to give guns a bad name.

-=�ISC=-
Mar 14, 2000, 12:45 AM

Frankly, i'd wanna kick the makers' face in.
common, its an iMac! my iMac is more of a family member than a cousin or a dog.

Macs are great machines,
ppl are too blind and too fearful of change to try one.
I was a PeeCee user, and i changed over right when i saw how perfect Macs are.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2000, 04:29 PM

For some reason this really doesn't bother me. Its another example of a small small person trying to act important by bashing a Mac. Personally i would love to make my own movie in where i smash an eOne iMac clone and spew out how if the iMac is a bad design why has every aspect of it been been stolen or copied badly. iMacs rule,no if, and, or buts about it. You know it, i know it, and thats all that matters.

Aurora
Mar 16, 2000, 04:34 AM

They'll never air that ad, would you like to know why? Apple would sue their asses so fast they'd get whiplash! They could say something like, "We believe epinions is encouraging people to go out and damage iMacs"
or "This ads says that iMacs should be desstroyed,and that takes away from our sales". Remember that Apple is sue happy, but most of their suits if not all are well founded.

bloodstone99
Mar 16, 2000, 05:09 AM

I said it before and I'll say it again... this guy (or whomever sponsored this commercial) still had to BUY the iMac before he could blow it up. Although he claims to be a computer expert, his arguments are typical of someone who has listened to the shallow mac-bashing rhetoric but never bothered to form his own opinion... either through an examination of the facts, or through actual usage. "Mouse is too small, no floppy drive, looks too cute to be useful, can't play MP3 through the speakers etc etc."

He also accuses Apple's commercials of lying, saying that you have to plug "lots more than 2 things" in when you are setting it up. He argues that you also have to plug in a printer, the keyboard, the mouse, etc etc... this is nothing more than grasping at straws. It is assumed (except, apparently by the gun-toating chucklehead) that anyone buying a computer, regardless of brand, will understand that in order for the keyboard or mouse to work... there has to be some type of physical connection to the computer! Come on!

Anyway, this commercial probably won't make it to primetime... the negative feedback on the site will see to that. If he was simply trying to elicit a reaction, then he has achieved what he set out to do. His subject matter just hits a raw nerve, and his obvious ignorance of the iMac, regardless of whatever expertise he has, will be far more damaging than any flames we can lob at that web site.

(my .02.)

[This message has been edited by bloodstone99 (edited 03-16-2000).]

bood69
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2000, 02:18 AM

What is this a commercial for, anyway? Who is paying for this sleaze?

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2000, 10:05 PM

Damnit, they wasted a perfectly good iMac... they could have given it to ME at least, arrgh! But nooooo they had to waste their pathetic little money and destroy it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules