Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger - the little things

Tiger - the little things
Tom C
Jul 22, 2004, 01:08 PM

Most of the talk about Tiger has been about the new features, e.g. Spotlight. I have a few questions about relatively minor things that wouldn't receive much attention.

1. In column view in open/save dialogs, can you resize the column width in Carbon apps like you can in Cocoa apps in Panther?

2. Does the new version of Safari let you turn off animations?

3. In Address Book, if a contact has multiple e-mail addresses, can you set a default address (as in Entourage)?

4. I've read that the Finder now supports contextual menus in the sidebar. If you have a CD-RW mounted and right-click it in the sidebar, is "erase disk" one of the options in the contextual menu? I hate having to go into Disk Utility just to erase a CD-RW.

5. Have they made any changes/improvements to Font Book? When it first came out, these forums were full of suggestions/complaints, but I haven't read anything about changes in Tiger yet.

6. In Panther and earlier, if you have a docked folder, navigate through the folder, and select a detached alias, you get no feedback whatsoever; it doesn't even say that it's a bad alias, it just does nothing. On the other hand, if you select a detached alias in the Finder, it gives you the option to re-attach the alias. Have they finally made the Dock consistent with the Finder?

7. In the Finder->Advanced preferences, one of the options is "show warning before emptying the Trash." In Panther and earlier, this preference works just fine if you're emptying the Trash from the Finder menu, but doesn't have any effect when emptying the Trash by right-clicking on the trash in the Dock. Does it now affect the Dock, too?

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2004, 04:16 AM

I haven't used Tiger so I can't answer your questions, but I thought it worth suggesting that submitting these observations to Mac OS X Feedback might be a good idea, since Tiger's still in early development...

biscuit

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 06:23 AM

Tiger is still in early development and it seems that most of the work so far has gone into underlying technologies, not the user interface layer. Due to the extended development schedule, I'd expect a fair bit of attention to be paid to fixing bugs in the areas you talked about, but I personally wouldn't expect that to happen until later in the development cycle.

Basically what I'm trying to say is you shouldn't really have any reason to care whether they're fixed now or not (other than "just being interested", which is somewhat valid), and you shouldn't take that as an indication as to their overall status in Tiger.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 12:06 PM

Wow. The answer to all your questions so far is no. That's incredible.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 12:19 PM

BTW, I mb missed this, but is the QT Player now completely rewritten in Cocoa?

Any screenshots of it?
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 04:51 PM

Yes. It doesn't look much different. Should have better performance, especially if you have a DX9 video card.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 05:41 PM

Which process owns the spotlight results window?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Thinine:
Yes. It doesn't look much different. Should have better performance, especially if you have a DX9 video card.
DX9 = DirectX 9 ?

Is that not Windows-only ?

enlighten me, please.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
DX9 = DirectX 9 ?

Is that not Windows-only ?

enlighten me, please.
DX9 card is shorthand for "a card that has vertex and pixel shaders."

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by bmedina:
DX9 card is shorthand for "a card that has vertex and pixel shaders."
DX8 introduced those, iirc, so DX9 is really "a card with modern vertex and pixel shaders"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2004, 01:02 AM

I would also be interested to know if Font Book is more robust. And concerning Tom C's seventh point about the empty trash warning not applying to the contexutal menu, I imagine that a purposeful design choice. If someone chooses to empty the trash that way, OS X's designers probably felt the warning would be unnecessary. I do agree, though, it is an inconsistent behavior.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 04:00 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I would also be interested to know if Font Book is more robust.
Seconded. FontBook currently is a weak point of OS X.

Something else I'd really like to see in Tiger is ... a better Finder (a classic, I know).
I really hate it when the Finder does not update its windows when new files are written into a folder.

Or things like this:

http://philby.net/finder001.png
[ALL inline images must be no wider than 480 pixels! --tooki]

These are files I worked on yesterday, and I've just duplicated "make-dummy-split.fla" in the Finter a few minutes ago. Result: the Finder only updates the date for the duplicated file, not the original. Also, all the other files are marked "today", when all of them were created and modified yesterday.
The only file marked "Yesterday" is, in fact, the one I've created today -- the copy.
This is extremely annoying, IMHO.
( Last edited by tooki; Jul 26, 2004 at 05:37 PM. )
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Which process owns the spotlight results window?
SystemUIServer. It's resources appear to be called from Search.bundle which is located in CoreServices.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Wulfi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 11:48 AM

i really wish they'd bring back a simple little feature called Print Window.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
SystemUIServer.
So then what happens to the active application's menu bar?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
So then what happens to the active application's menu bar?
Nothing. SystemUIServer is a background application. (like DiskImageMounter and the process that zips/unzips files) The menubar does not change at all.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
The menubar does not change at all.
That's what I mean. Isn't this a problem?

Do menu commands disable when the search results window is in front? If not and they apply to objects in the application window behind the search results window, isn't this confusing the user?

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Wulfi:
I think it's back. I saw some finder screenshot with a Print command in the menus... don't think it was faked.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2004, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by Wulfi:
Drag a folder to the print center / desktop printer.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules