Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > wireless really this bad on PBs?

wireless really this bad on PBs?
ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2005, 07:52 PM

Well after selling my old ibook and using this new PB for the last day. it is real fast, BUT the wireless is horrendous. I can't pick up a signal where my ibook used to get 3 bars, anything I can do to make it better?

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2005, 08:08 PM

Which PB is it?
Did you install the Airport yourself?

If you did it is possible the Antenna connection is not fully "clicked" in.
This can be a cause for bad performance.

Either way the PB is not as strong as the iBook when it comes to wireless range.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 08:18 PM

i get 2-3 bars where my sister's iBook got 3-4 bars.
iamwhor3hay

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2005, 09:09 PM

it's a brand new 1.67, airport preinstalled, so...not sure what to do, guess I just have to live with it.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by ero2:
it's a brand new 1.67, airport preinstalled, so...not sure what to do, guess I just have to live with it.
It's interesting, I only get 3 bars on my new PB 1.67, but I used to get 4 bars on my TI. (in the exact same spot) I was in the Apple store today, and it looks like all of their PowerBooks were the same way... none had 4 bars.

In anycase it seems to be working, so I'm not gonna worry too much about it.

d_oob
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
It's interesting, I only get 3 bars on my new PB 1.67, but I used to get 4 bars on my TI. (in the exact same spot) I was in the Apple store today, and it looks like all of their PowerBooks were the same way... none had 4 bars.

In anycase it seems to be working, so I'm not gonna worry too much about it.
How do you guys just live with it? My Pismo gets better signal than newer stuff. I'm sitting next to my girlfriend who's on an iBook G4 14" and her Airport Extreme is getting 3 bars while mine (OG Airport) is getting 4 bars. That is weird. Shouldn't the new Aluminum PB's be getting an amazing signal considering that's the material people use to better their antenna's signal?
retired pismo 400 G4, macbook 2.0GHz, mac pro 2.66GHz

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 02:56 AM

wellI thought it was really weird and went tothe apple store to pickup a new netwrok (just live with it right :-) ) So, I told the cool genius in the back and he said bring it in, so I ran home and got it, he checked it, and swapped it on the spot, I am on my 3rd powerbook in 2 days

The good news is, the new PB signal is ridiculously stronger and works just like my ibook use to, if not better

The geniuses in northridge are awesome!

d_oob
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by ero2:
wellI thought it was really weird and went tothe apple store to pickup a new netwrok (just live with it right :-) ) So, I told the cool genius in the back and he said bring it in, so I ran home and got it, he checked it, and swapped it on the spot, I am on my 3rd powerbook in 2 days

The good news is, the new PB signal is ridiculously stronger and works just like my ibook use to, if not better

The geniuses in northridge are awesome!
So what the hell was it that was causing the lack of signal? Did the 'genius' even tell you what was wrong? Or were they all hush hush about it. "Don't tell anyone, on and btw here's a new PB." Was it hardware, software? their ware?
I hope they told you.

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 03:11 AM

nope but he tried tocheck the connection of the antenna to the airport card and couldn't fin it because apparently this year they moved it (he took off the battery and looked and said hum, it was there in the last model) sono, I don't know what it was.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 08:50 AM

nope but he tried tocheck the connection of the antenna to the airport card and couldn't fin it because apparently this year they moved it (he took off the battery and looked and said hum, it was there in the last model) sono, I don't know what it was.

Boy thats inspiring?
If the Genius doesn't even know where the card is,what hope do mere mortals have?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by audvidsvs:

Boy thats inspiring?
If the Genius doesn't even know where the card is,what hope do mere mortals have?
In this Rev, the airport card is no longer user accessible. I was going to try and swap the card when I was having problems, but discovered that I couldn't get to it! Bad idea Apple!!!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2005, 11:08 AM

I get better reception on my 17 than my old iBook G4.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
I get better reception on my 17 than my old iBook G4.
I use an old TIPB 500 (known for lousy reception) and carry a Belkin54G card (free after rebate) with me and if I can't connect at some outside location. It sticks out of PCMCIA slot and works as an antenea. Works great when needed. If internal card gets a signal, I don't use the card.

Cheap work around!

d_oob
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
I use an old TIPB 500 (known for lousy reception) and carry a Belkin54G card (free after rebate) with me and if I can't connect at some outside location. It sticks out of PCMCIA slot and works as an antenea. Works great when needed. If internal card gets a signal, I don't use the card.

Cheap work around!
I wish the 12" PB had a PCMIA slot. Why doesn't it have one? Those come in handy sometimes. Otherwise the 12" is like an iBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules