Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod photo quality build?

iPod photo quality build?
Gillfoto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2005, 02:42 PM

Just got my new iPod photo 40Gb. Great job on packaging etc, on stripping off cling film around iPod to reveal for first time, I immediately noticed that on the right side of the click wheel that there was a noticable gap/seam. Whereas the right side had no gap. Has any iPodder out noticed same?

Thinking of returning as quality issue?

Any comments appreciated.
Ken

aka gillfoto
( Last edited by Gillfoto; Mar 9, 2005 at 11:18 PM. )

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 09:25 PM

Hmm, notice which side the gap always appears on compared to where the light is glaring. I thought mine had the same "gap" until I turned it the other way compared to the light source in the room.

Can you actually fit a piece of paper or anything into it? Maybe you are mistaking the side of the really thin clear piece for a gap.

And looking closer at mine, underneath the clear part, there is a really tiny gap between the white and the wheel. But the clear part over the white is flush with the wheel.

Gillfoto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2005, 10:10 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I tested the gap with a piece of paper, and it goes down 2mm. I've just posted another photo.
Ken

I think I'm sending it back.

Originally posted by iLikebeer:
Hmm, notice which side the gap always appears on compared to where the light is glaring. I thought mine had the same "gap" until I turned it the other way compared to the light source in the room.

Can you actually fit a piece of paper or anything into it? Maybe you are mistaking the side of the really thin clear piece for a gap.

And looking closer at mine, underneath the clear part, there is a really tiny gap between the white and the wheel. But the clear part over the white is flush with the wheel.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 12:13 AM

Yep. Send it back. That's not normal.

crooner
Senior User
Mar 8, 2005, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
Absolutely. Send it back and get a replacement.

I just got my 40GB photo as well and I noticed a very slight gap on one side of the click wheel. I also noticed that while the left side was perfectly flush with iPod surface, the right side was a tiny bit (we're talkin' really, really tiny) raised from the iPod. Fortunately, the small gap does not allow for a pice of paper to fit into it and as for the right side of the click wheel not being perfectly flush, well, I realized that I was just obsessing about it and that in a month I wouldn't care at all.

But in your case it's a no-brainer. Good luck with your replacement. Let us know how that goes for you.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

iMacfan
Senior User
Mar 8, 2005, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
Mine does, and I'm not bothered. I seem to remember from many posts that a small gap is not that uncommon. Remember that while the scrolling functions involve no moving parts, the buttons on the click wheel do move, so it can't be completely sealed. Give it a try if you want, but things may be no different on your replacement.

David

Gillfoto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2005, 12:21 PM

Thanks for reply, question can you get paper down it?
I can.

Originally posted by iMacfan:
Mine does, and I'm not bothered. I seem to remember from many posts that a small gap is not that uncommon. Remember that while the scrolling functions involve no moving parts, the buttons on the click wheel do move, so it can't be completely sealed. Give it a try if you want, but things may be no different on your replacement.

David

iMacfan
Senior User
Mar 8, 2005, 03:10 PM

I tried, and yes, I can (just), but I'm still not bothered. The click wheel is not meant to be stuck, glued or the same part as the white plastic next to it - it is a seperate moving component. I would say that the wheel is pretty flush with the front of the unit, and I think that my click wheel shows pretty good build quality - definitely better than my 1st generation, and that was absolutely fine.

Please don't take this as a rant, but please realise that some people may immediately reject this config, but I hardly ever notice it, and suspect many others are the same. If you are near an apple store, go in, look at the demo models and ask at the genius bar - that would be the best way.

I would add that I've had my 60Gb pretty much since they were first announced, so that is about 4 months or so - no problems yet, and especially no complaints with the excellent click wheel.

Hope this helps,

David

Gillfoto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 03:08 AM

Hi David,
Thanks for your response. Did you look at the photos I posted?
I haved returned it and hope to get one with a smaller gap.

The bottom line it looks awful and for the #1 Juneau Mac addict to own such a bad build, would be such a pain to have to defend how it looks, Apple products have a quality reputation to maintain.
I should happy with my next one, no doubt.
It wasn't an Apple but a Lemon . . . . :-)

Originally posted by iMacfan:
I tried, and yes, I can (just), but I'm still not bothered. The click wheel is not meant to be stuck, glued or the same part as the white plastic next to it - it is a seperate moving component. I would say that the wheel is pretty flush with the front of the unit, and I think that my click wheel shows pretty good build quality - definitely better than my 1st generation, and that was absolutely fine.

Please don't take this as a rant, but please realise that some people may immediately reject this config, but I hardly ever notice it, and suspect many others are the same. If you are near an apple store, go in, look at the demo models and ask at the genius bar - that would be the best way.

I would add that I've had my 60Gb pretty much since they were first announced, so that is about 4 months or so - no problems yet, and especially no complaints with the excellent click wheel.

Hope this helps,

David

iMacfan
Senior User
Mar 10, 2005, 06:56 AM

Sorry, but I can't see where the pics are!

im_noahselby
Senior User
Mar 12, 2005, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by Gillfoto:
I've just posted another photo. I think I'm sending it back.
Where?

Would you mind re-posting the picture..
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules