Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > serial numbers

serial numbers
mkkn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 08:17 AM

does anyone know whether the serial number on the back of an ipod should match the serial number on the box - is this a unique number specific to that ipod

chrismccorkle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 12:34 AM

believe it would be the same... i dont know why not.

the serial number on the box may be specific to the location where you bought it from, like target or wal mart.

i know that most of the stuff in the electronics section at target has to be scanned for price, then scanned again to verify that it's the actual physical item.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 12:40 AM

They are the same for me.

chrismccorkle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 12:46 AM

nevermind then!

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad
They are the same for me.
Same here.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 02:58 PM

When shipped from the factory, they are suppose to be the same. So, if you bought it brand new, then yes. If it was previously owned, the iPod could have been replaced for warranty purposes, which would give it a new number. (such replaced iPods tend to have serial numbers starting with 2Z or something like that)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2006, 03:01 PM

If they don't match up, it is possible that the iPod has been replaced under warranty. Usually, the replacement iPod will come with a serial number sticker to apply to the box, but I assume many wouldn't bother sticking it on.

The owner necessarily got paperwork from the replacing tech center/store documenting the switch, though (since the original warranty now applies to a new serial number).

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 7, 2006, 04:44 PM

Yes, it's unique to the specific device inside the box, and the label should match what's on the iPod inside. The box is also sealed inside plastic wrap (not the folded kind, but all smooth), so you can typically get an idea of whether the box has been opened from that, but it's not fool proof.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

powens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2006, 01:00 AM

Same here to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules