Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Briefly: IBM welcomes Macs; GM adding CarPlay, Android Auto to Chevy

Briefly: IBM welcomes Macs; GM adding CarPlay, Android Auto to Chevy
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 3, 2015, 05:36 PM

Only a few months into the program, The Apple and IBM enterprise alliance has already scored one major client, a company that could become the world's largest Mac-supporting business outside of Apple itself: IBM. Big Blue last week decided to practice what it preaches, and embrace the changes that have come about in corporate workplaces since the introduction of the "Bring Your Own Device" movement. A new memo announced that workers could opt for a MacBook Pro or Air when updating or getting a new workstation device.

Employees are still free to opt for a PC if they prefer, but IBM says that the expanded options mean it expects to deploy some 50,000 MacBooks to employees by the end of this year. The ability to choose platforms should further accelerate the partnership between IBM and Apple, with the two companies collaborating on services and mobile software for the enterprise through its MobileFirst initiative. IBM did already support some 15,000 Macs of various types, largely brought in by workers able to use their own personal devices, but now the program has expanded to allow workers to receive Macs as an option when the company is supplying hardware and software.

General Motors to add CarPlay, Android Auto compatibility to all 2016 model Chevys

General Motors has announced that it will add CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility to its MyLink infotainment systems in three quarters of its 2016 Chevrolet brand models, which will debut later this year. A total of 14 of the 19 models will have the option of using CarPlay or Android Auto, the result of a two-year collaboration with Chevy engineers and the two rival technology firms, reports USAToday.

Chevrolet's Dan Kinney stands beside a 2016 Spark
Chevrolet's Dan Kinney stands beside a 2016 Spark

The Chevy models that will see expanded smartphone integration in the 2016 model year include the Camaro, Colorado, Corvette, Cruze, Impala, Malibu, Silverado, Spark, Suburban, Tahoe, and Volt. Together, these models sold more than 2.4 million units in the 2015 model year. GM joins with more than a dozen other vehicle manufacturers in offering the new technology, which encourages drivers to look at their smartphones less and instead control functions from the steering wheel, or by voice whenever possible.

OldMacGeek
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2015, 06:21 PM

Now if only we can stop internal web developers from using ActiveX and other PC-only technologies, get Cisco's VPN working our Macs, get parity with the PC version of Office (I'm looking at you, Lync!), have our IT department on board, etc. we'll be in great shape!

Of course, that'll never happen at my company. Apple is our main competitor.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2015, 02:57 AM

Google is primarily Mac based. The default computer for most employees is a Macbook Pro.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2015, 05:31 PM

Cisco's Anyconnect VPN software works on Macs.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Forum Links
Forum Rules